Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

Logan, Days of Future Past and First Class are all top 10 superhero movies from this era.

Which is an interesting question: what are your top 10 superhero films from this era? Don’t haggle too much over what “this era” is, it’s a simple concept.

Edited by Hoss
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

1. Dark Knight

2. Watchmen

3. Infinity War

4. Thor: Ragnarok

5. Days of Future Past

6. Black Panther

7. Guardians of the Galaxy

8. Logan

9. Hellboy II

10. X-Men; First Class

Watchmen did nothing for me honestly

In that list? I'd do

1. Dark Knight

2. Thor: Ragnarok

3. Guardians of the Galaxy

4. Logan

meh to the rest

40 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Watchmen did nothing for me honestly

In that list? I'd do

1. Dark Knight

2. Thor: Ragnarok

3. Guardians of the Galaxy

4. Logan

meh to the rest

That’s four. Need six more or you’re fired.

Which X-Men movie is based off of God Loves, Man Kills? They changed the character of Stryker from a preacher to something else. The comic is phenomenal, but I didn’t like the changes to appease the religious who likely would have been offended. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

1. Dark Knight

2. Watchmen

3. Infinity War

5. Days of Future Past

6. Black Panther

8. Logan

9. Hellboy II

10. X-Men; First Class

Watchmen and Hellboy II? Sir, I say sir!

My list, not in any particular order:

Iron Man, Avengers: Infinity War, Thor: Ragnarok, Captain American: The Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy, Logan, Deadpool, Spiderman 2, Dark Knight.

Honorable mentions to X2, First Class, Batman Begins, and the original Avengers.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

1. Dark Knight

2. Watchmen

3. Infinity War

5. Days of Future Past

6. Black Panther

8. Logan

9. Hellboy II

10. X-Men; First Class

1. Batman Begins 

2. Civil War

3. Ragnarok

4. Dark Knight

5. Winter Soldier 

6. Dead Pool

7. GotG

8. Dark Knight Rises

9. Infinity War

10. X-Men 

its been a long time since I’ve seen the X-Men movies. There’s a chance I would prefer more in there, but Im having trouble remembering them all clearly. Is the first X-Men the one that starts in the concentration camp?

Alright, I’ll bite.

10. Deadpool (not an X-Men movie)

9. Avengers

8. Civil War

6. Infinity War 

5. Endgame (Such beautiful fan service) 

4. Spider-Man (Sam Rami version)

3. Dark Knight (the only non-garbage DC movie other than LEGO Batman and Teen Titans, but I digress) 

2. Winter Soldier 

1. Ragnarok 

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

its been a long time since I’ve seen the X-Men movies. There’s a chance I would prefer more in there, but Im having trouble remembering them all clearly. Is the first X-Men the one that starts in the concentration camp?

Like a Batman movie in crime alley, I'm pretty sure all X-Men movies start in the concentration camp.

On 6/5/2019 at 7:45 PM, shrader said:

Speaking of the age thing, that right there is why the movies can’t be in the same universe, even if they say it. First Class was in the 60s. Deadpool is present day, due to the pop culture references. That takes the never aging thing to a whole new level. Marvel is almost definitely going to go the route of multiverse with all this. It’s the only way to tie things in.  

An inconsistency in a comic book movie? How unusual ?

It's the same universe. You literally see characters from X-Men in the movie. It's the filmmakers decision to make, not ours. 

Multiverse does seem the way they'll have to go if they want to bring in Deadpool. 

On 6/6/2019 at 11:28 AM, TrueBlueGED said:

Watchmen and Hellboy II? Sir, I say sir!

My list, not in any particular order:

Iron Man, Avengers: Infinity War, Thor: Ragnarok, Captain American: The Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy, Logan, Deadpool, Spiderman 2, Dark Knight.

Honorable mentions to X2, First Class, Batman Begins, and the original Avengers.

Appreciate the love for Spider-Man 2. It's still one of the best. 

Endgame is in my list. Might get around to making that list. 

On 6/6/2019 at 11:55 AM, Sabel79 said:

Alright, I’ll bite. 

10. Deadpool (not an X-Men movie)

9. Avengers

8. Civil War

6. Infinity War 

5. Endgame (Such beautiful fan service) 

4. Spider-Man (Sam Rami version)

3. Dark Knight (the only non-garbage DC movie other than LEGO Batman and Teen Titans, but I digress) 

2. Winter Soldier 

1. Ragnarok 

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/01/26/deadpool-writers-explain-how-the-movie-fits-into-the-x-men-timel/

"He's part of the larger X-Men universe, but in a way he isn't. "

There, from the writers. Everyone is right. 

Edited by Thorny

On 6/7/2019 at 1:29 PM, Thorny said:

An inconsistency in a comic book movie? How unusual ?

It's the same universe. You literally see characters from X-Men in the movie. It's the filmmakers decision to make, not ours. 

Multiverse does seem the way they'll have to go if they want to bring in Deadpool. 

Have you seen the spiderman trailer with endgame spoilers? I think it opens the door they’ll use to have X-Men in thre mcu, granted it’ll be a new cast. 

So the wife is out of town so I decided to see Dark Phoenix. It was not the train wreck I expected it to be. Passable movie. It needed more Magneto though. My main issue with it is that it’s tough to do a Jean Grey story when we’re not the least bit invested in this incarnation of the character.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Have you seen the spiderman trailer with endgame spoilers? I think it opens the door they’ll use to have X-Men in thre mcu, granted it’ll be a new cast. 

So the wife is out of town so I decided to see Dark Phoenix. It was not the train wreck I expected it to be. Passable movie. It needed more Magneto though. My main issue with it is that it’s tough to do a Jean Grey story when we’re not the least bit invested in this incarnation of the character.

I have, but I guess I'm confused as to why they'd have to use a multi-verse at all if they are bringing in new actors and presumably rebooting the characters. Why associate with a previously established, separate fox universe? If they want to bring in Reynolds' specific Deadpool, ya, gotta be a multi-verse thing unless they completely "forget" the idea that he's in the fox x-men universe, or his own previously established universe, whichever. 

Honestly, the whole multiverse thing is sort of wearing to me. I think it complicates things. 

On 5/19/2019 at 6:50 PM, Neo said:

I am inspired .....  the wonder of authoritarianism.  It could deny danger, refuse help, recognize its clean up technology was useless ...  and simply send men into the silent inferno.  I found parallels to the USSR’s approach to the invading Nazis.  Ten unarmed soldiers against a German machine gun.  Ten men with shovels against a pile of super radioactive fuel, graphite and water..  You need not be particularly good when you’re willing and able to send millions of serfs to their deaths.

“It's certainly true that Chernobyl, while an accident in the sense that no one intentionally set it off, was also the deliberate product of a culture of cronyism, laziness, and a deep-seated indifference toward the general population. The literature on the subject is pretty unanimous in its opinion that the Soviet system had taken a poorly designed reactor and then staffed it with a group of incompetents. It then proceeded, as the interviews in this book attest, to lie about the disaster in the most criminal way. In the crucial first ten days, when the reactor core was burning and releasing a steady stream of highly radioactive material into the surrounding areas, the authorities repeatedly claimed that the situation was under control. . . In the week after the accident, while refusing to admit to the world that anything really serious had gone wrong, the Soviets poured thousands of men into the breach. . . The machines they brought broke down because of the radiation. The humans wouldn't break down until weeks or months later, at which point they'd die horribly.” 
― Svetlana Alexievich, Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster

And the consequences are still here for all of Europe.    

Until this day,  wild boar meat in Europe is highly radioactive   https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/24/14733094/radioactive-pigs-boars-czech-republic-central-europe-germany-chernobyl

There are many products in Europe that are radioactive, especially mushrooms, tea leaves, hazelnuts.    But its being kept quiet just like Chernobyl never happened.

Even the higher level of radioactivity was barely communicated to people in Europe back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy 4th, everyone.

It is wicked hot in the Hudson River Valley today.  I took my daughter to see the new Spider-Man today and it was pretty good.  Among the best of the superhero movies that I've seen.  I liked it better than Endgame.

On 6/22/2019 at 7:00 AM, Huckleberry said:

Just watched season 1, my expectations were low but it got me hooked.

My favorite show. Still waiting for season four. Just hope that it doesn’t turn into a bunch of MTV music montages like season three of Stranger Things.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks to Tondas' recent comment, I requested the full three-season run of Father Ted from my local library and binged them over this holiday weekend. I'd only seen bits and parts of episodes in the past, so it was quite a treat to get it all in one go! RIP Dermot Morgan, gone far too soon (one day after filming the last episode), and then Frank Kelly 18 years to the day after that.

I'd say more, but that would be an ecumenical matter...

• Haha (+1) 1