Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

19 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

On to things that aren’t terrible (well tv shows that aren’t terrible): Chernobyl.  Holy ***** it’s perhaps the best, and by far the darkest show I’ve ever seen.  I’ve read reviews from people who grew up in the 80’s USSR stating they got every single detail right.  The writing, cinematography, acting all so good.  Also, abjectly terrifying if you think about it.  

Chernobyl was fantastic. It was gripping, stomach turning, compounding mistakes drama centered around the arrogance of man. The disaster itself and the pacing of the events surrounding it made it a great watch. I will say it is amazing how far a government will go to protect/prevent negative press and maintain power through messaging.

If you think things like this are limited to Soviet era Russia I don't know what to tell you...

Godzilla was what you would expect it to be. Much like my opinion on john wick 3, if you like the genre (kaijumovies) you will probaly like it.

I have so little faith in dark phoenix, I have been trying to convince my father for a month to wait for it to be on Netflix. So far the reviews are eviscerating it.

Good X-Men movies:

X1

X2 (really good)

First Class

Days of Future Past (really good)

The Wolverine 

Logan (Great)

Deadpool 1

Deadpool 2

Bad X-Men movies:

X3

Apocalypse

Presumably Dark Phoenix (need to see it)

Origins Wolverine 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

Good X-Men movies:

X1

X2 (really good)

First Class

Days of Future Past (really good)

Logan

Deadpool 1

Deadpool 2

Bad X-Men movies:

X3

Apocalypse

Presumably Dark Phoenix (need to see it)

Origins Wolverine 

The fact that there's that many of them in what, the last two decades? Is freaking absurd

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

The fact that there's that many of them in what, the last two decades? Is freaking absurd

Because with the "what have you done for me lately" mentality, people tend to forget the majority of this series has been very well received both critically and commercially. 

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

I realize it's very loosely tied in, but I don't think Deadpool should be included on that list.  Those movies are as independent from the rest as possible.

I included all movies in the Fox X-Men "universe", as one would include all the movies in the MCU under one banner, even though many only bear a passing resemblance to eachother. 

Oh I forgot "The Wolverine" which was also pretty good. 

Edited by Thorny

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I included all movies in the Fox X-Men "universe", as one would include all the movies in the MCU under one banner, even though many only bear a passing resemblance to eachother. 

Oh I forgot "The Wolverine" which was also pretty good. 

I really wish they hadn't included the brief cameo in the second movie.  Otherwise, there'd be nothing you could use to even say those movies are a shared universe.  It should be interesting to see when Disney completely purges the X-Men universe but keeps Deadpool going.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

I really wish they hadn't included the brief cameo in the second movie.  Otherwise, there'd be nothing you could use to even say those movies are a shared universe.  It should be interesting to see when Disney completely purges the X-Men universe but keeps Deadpool going.

Eh? They literally visit Xavier's school multiple times in the 2 movies, and it's the same school from the other X-Men movies. 

Speaking of which, I'm not sure how they'd keep the Ryan Reynolds Deadpool going when he's from a separately established universe. It would seem to indicate the X-Men universe established by Fox is congruent with the MCU which I'm not sure how they'd pull off. 

Edited by Thorny

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Eh? They literally visit Xavier's school multiple times in the 2 movies, and it's the same school from the other X-Men movies. 

Speaking of which, I'm not sure how they'd keep the Ryan Reynolds Deadpool going when he's from a separately established universe. It would seem to indicate the X-Men universe established by Fox is congruent with the MCU which I'm not sure how they'd pull off. 

The timeline of those movies is so beyond screwed up.  Deadpool can't possibly fit into any of it.  That's why they keep it as a mostly independent entity.  That's exactly what I think they'll stick with.  They'll eventually somehow roll in some new X-Men into the MCU, but Deadpool will continue on as it's own separate thing.

The absolutely hilarious thing about this new wave of X-Men movie is that each of them is supposed to take place a decade after the last.  So now we're up to around a 30 year window where no one has aged even slightly.  They could just create movies without any reference to the year, but no, they went out of their way to pin them to historical moments.

At the end of the day, it's the same universe. Can't really argue a factual thing, the filmmakers have stated it's the same universe so that is what it is. 

The timeline is screwed up in which, the X-Men universe?

Oh so you don't think the MCU willl try and bring in Deadpool at all? I've heard chatter they are exploring the option, but only that. 

The aging thing is legitimately hilarious at this point. 

Edited by Thorny

if you're into period stuff, Gentleman Jack (HBO) is fantastic.  it's got it all in spades, writing/acting/costumes.  love it, and it's based on the main character's actual history via personal journals.

it's basically forced be to track down anything suranne jones (lead actress) has done.  just something about women with odd noses that really holds my attention.  

did anyone like Succession on HBO?  i thought it was good.  some of those family members are thoroughly effed up.

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

At the end of the day, it's the same universe. Can't really argue a factual thing, the filmmakers have stated it's the same universe so that is what it is. 

The timeline is screwed up in which, the X-Men universe?

Oh so you don't think the MCU willl try and bring in Deadpool at all? I've heard chatter they are exploring the option, but only that. 

The aging thing is legitimately hilarious at this point. 

Speaking of the age thing, that right there is why the movies can’t be in the same universe, even if they say it. First Class was in the 60s. Deadpool is present day, due to the pop culture references. That takes the never aging thing to a whole new level. Marvel is almost definitely going to go the route of multiverse with all this. It’s the only way to tie things in.  

5 hours ago, SwampD said:

I just stumbled upon “New Girl” with Zooey  Deschanel (who I kinda like).

The info says it’s episode 21 of season 6.

Season 6!  Wuh?

There are six seasons of this garbage?! Who watches this crap?

New Girl is great and there’s seven seasons