Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

On 6/6/2018 at 9:13 PM, BagBoy said:

Anyone familiar with the show Letterkenny?  Maybe the best show from Canada since Trailer Park Boys.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:23 PM, darksabre said:

Loooove Letterkenny. Canadian humour at its best.

On 6/7/2018 at 12:58 PM, nfreeman said:

Very funny, especially the hockey meatheads. 

I'm giving my seal of approval to "The Terror," which just concluded on FX.  It's a 10-part drama (very) loosely based on the true story of 2 British ships that disappeared in the 1850s on an expedition to find the NW Passage.

Thanks for the Letter Kenny Recommendations. It was outstanding 

Just saw Endgame.  It was good, not great, with highs and lows, but I wasn't unhappy about having seen it.

Was that Tony Stark hammering his original suit in the dessert at the very end of the credits?  If so, was it symbolic or will it mean that somehow, some way, he will be back?

Edited by carpandean

• 2 weeks later...

Rewatching Haunting of Hill House on Netflix. This show is essential for anyone who enjoys horror and/or family drama series.

It’s also the first time I’ve seen sleep paralysis represented in pop culture in any way, and it’s very well done.

There’s a two-episode span that’s unmatched in any series I’ve ever watched.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

John Wick 3. if you liked 1 and 2 you will like 3. Personally I thought it was delightful

Glad to hear it lived up to the hype. Personally when they started making it a series I always thought they should have done a prequel about his last job and his wife, but the sequels appear to be/have been good

HBO’s Chernobyl.  So many angles to be interested in.  Science, Political Science, Man and Nature, Man and Government, Science and Political Power.

It’s hectic and wildly fast paced.  Initially, I considered criticizing the fast edit storytelling.  It isn't that the pace confuses, but that each quick cut leaves you wanting more from the last.  I made peace with art, concluding that’s probably the intention for this particular story.  Youtube helped me make this accommodation.  I watched a dozen videos that explained and explored.  In short, Chernobyl is a fantastic and unplanned collaboration between HBO/Drama and YouTube/Science.

I was alive.  I knew it was bad.  I had no idea how cataclysmic it nearly was.  The earth almost lost a continent for 100 plus years.

Edited by Neo

I am inspired .....  the wonder of authoritarianism.  It could deny danger, refuse help, recognize its clean up technology was useless ...  and simply send men into the silent inferno.  I found parallels to the USSR’s approach to the invading Nazis.  Ten unarmed soldiers against a German machine gun.  Ten men with shovels against a pile of super radioactive fuel, graphite and water..  You need not be particularly good when you’re willing and able to send millions of serfs to their deaths.

“It's certainly true that Chernobyl, while an accident in the sense that no one intentionally set it off, was also the deliberate product of a culture of cronyism, laziness, and a deep-seated indifference toward the general population. The literature on the subject is pretty unanimous in its opinion that the Soviet system had taken a poorly designed reactor and then staffed it with a group of incompetents. It then proceeded, as the interviews in this book attest, to lie about the disaster in the most criminal way. In the crucial first ten days, when the reactor core was burning and releasing a steady stream of highly radioactive material into the surrounding areas, the authorities repeatedly claimed that the situation was under control. . . In the week after the accident, while refusing to admit to the world that anything really serious had gone wrong, the Soviets poured thousands of men into the breach. . . The machines they brought broke down because of the radiation. The humans wouldn't break down until weeks or months later, at which point they'd die horribly.” 
― Svetlana Alexievich, Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster
Edited by Neo

On 5/4/2019 at 6:43 PM, carpandean said:

Just saw Endgame.  It was good, not great, with highs and lows, but I wasn't unhappy about having seen it.

Hide contents

Was that Tony Stark hammering his original suit in the dessert at the very end of the credits?  If so, was it symbolic or will it mean that somehow, some way, he will be back?

I just watched it last nite, just ok

Finished Love, Death, and Robots on Netflix. Like an animated version of Black Mirror, futuristic and sci-fi, but more explicit. NSFW or kids. Each episode is self contained with its own animation style, and 10-15 minutes long. Most are serious but a couple are funny. My favorite was when yougurt took over the world. Like a Rick & Morty episode. If you like Black Mirror you’ll like it.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Anyone see the new Godzilla yet? I've heard it's just monsters fighting monsters and no real plot, which is exactly what a Godzilla movie should be 

Haven't yet, but hope to soon. The other half wants to see the new X-men, but I'm trying to convince her that's bad in a bad way whereas Godzilla is bad in a good way. 

12 minutes ago, shrader said:

From what I hear, Buffalo fans should be very happy with the ending.

Really curious about this one. All I can think is that they destroy Toronto

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Haven't yet, but hope to soon. The other half wants to see the new X-men, but I'm trying to convince her that's bad in a bad way whereas Godzilla is bad in a good way. 

Smart man. I have 0 faith in X-men being worthwhile whatsoever, at least with Godzilla I'm getting exactly what I bargained for. The lady friend has no interest in it but it's kinda tradition I see it with my Dad anyways so we're going to catch it Sunday

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Really curious about this one. All I can think is that they destroy Toronto

Smart man. I have 0 faith in X-men being worthwhile whatsoever, at least with Godzilla I'm getting exactly what I bargained for. The lady friend has no interest in it but it's kinda tradition I see it with my Dad anyways so we're going to catch it Sunday

Same division, just to the southeast...

X-men, being directed by the same guy who wrote that last horrible Dark Phoenix movie, is dead certain to be as terrible as every other X-Men movie they’ve done over the past 20 years.  Meh.  

On to things that aren’t terrible (well tv shows that aren’t terrible): Chernobyl.  Holy ***** it’s perhaps the best, and by far the darkest show I’ve ever seen.  I’ve read reviews from people who grew up in the 80’s USSR stating they got every single detail right.  The writing, cinematography, acting all so good.  Also, abjectly terrifying if you think about it.  

1 minute ago, shrader said:

You're on the right track, but think bigger... think of the biggest villains in the entire sports world

For me that is Toronto ?

I actually like the city of Boston. As far as entire sports world goes, that Buffalo hates?...man this is hard. Don't spoil it, I'm even more excited for this movie now

11 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Same division, just to the southeast...

X-men, being directed by the same guy who wrote that last horrible Dark Phoenix movie, is dead certain to be as terrible as every other X-Men movie they’ve done over the past 20 years.  Meh.  

On to things that aren’t terrible (well tv shows that aren’t terrible): Chernobyl.  Holy ***** it’s perhaps the best, and by far the darkest show I’ve ever seen.  I’ve read reviews from people who grew up in the 80’s USSR stating they got every single detail right.  The writing, cinematography, acting all so good.  Also, abjectly terrifying if you think about it.  

There are a bunch of good X-Men movies. Days of Future past is a great comic book movie. Logan is a great movie.