Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

8 hours ago, shrader said:

That’s why I want to know if his film making would translate to a comedy movie. I’m shoehorning him into the only role I know for him. I’d love to see more of it, but I get the feeling from his recent success that we may not see that for a long time. 

I’m very interested in his take on The Twilight Zone. That’s looking very good.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’m very interested in his take on The Twilight Zone. That’s looking very good.

I hadn’t heard about that. Time for some googling. 

But I won’t sign up for that one unless William Shatner gets to point out something on the wing. 

On 3/23/2019 at 10:39 PM, shrader said:

I hadn’t heard about that. Time for some googling. 

But I won’t sign up for that one unless William Shatner gets to point out something on the wing. 

On 3/23/2019 at 11:33 PM, Hoss said:

It appears they are redoing that episode.

I want Shatner to play the thing on the wing.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/19/2019 at 3:25 PM, nfreeman said:

I saw Captain Marvel.  Pretty weak IMHO — I’d give it a C-minus to a C.  The next Avengers needs to be better than that.  

Finally saw it this past weekend. I thought it was more B, B+. Didn't blow me out of the water, but I liked the character and enjoyed the story. I re-watched the first Thor afterwards and think its about the same level. It can be tough to nail a character intro movie, there's a lot of exposition to get through. I really liked how they dealt with the Skrulls.

Sounds like the next movie in the Captain Marvel line will take place inbetween this one and Endgame, possibly somewhere across the universe, that should be a good setup.

1 hour ago, sabills said:

Finally saw it this past weekend. I thought it was more B, B+. Didn't blow me out of the water, but I liked the character and enjoyed the story. I re-watched the first Thor afterwards and think its about the same level. It can be tough to nail a character intro movie, there's a lot of exposition to get through. I really liked how they dealt with the Skrulls.

Sounds like the next movie in the Captain Marvel line will take place inbetween this one and Endgame, possibly somewhere across the universe, that should be a good setup.

I’d put it up above the first Thor. It was damn good but it’s just below the recent run of great Marvel movies (Ragnarok and Infinity War). The moment she stands up (not really a spoiler) gave me more goosebumps than any moment in the MCU.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sabills said:

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I’d put it up above the first Thor. It was damn good but it’s just below the recent run of great Marvel movies (Ragnarok and Infinity War). The moment she stands up (not really a spoiler) gave me more goosebumps than any moment in the MCU.

I think they should have released it before Infinity War.  That one set the bar in a really odd place for the movie.  It's not that the hurdle was too high to clear, but more like you're running in lane 2 but the hurdle is in lane 6.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I think they should have released it before Infinity War.  That one set the bar in a really odd place for the movie.  It's not that the hurdle was too high to clear, but more like you're running in lane 2 but the hurdle is in lane 6.

This was what I was getting at earlier. Infinity War put everything in a very dark place so getting inspired feels weird.

On 3/13/2019 at 11:29 PM, nfreeman said:

Season 4 of “catastrophe” on Amazon Prime starts on Friday.  The first 3 seasons were outstanding IMHO.  Solid A.  

I just finished season 1, I'm trying to hang in there because you were correct on a few other shows BUT I'm still awaiting the outstanding other than a highlight or 2 once in awhile. Although the boy walking in on them during the opener of season 2 did bring back some not so fond memories. That boy will never be the same no matter how much they deny it.

You never forget your first time even if its mom and dad doing it.

Edited by jsb

1 hour ago, jsb said:

I just finished season 1, I'm trying to hang in there because you were correct on a few other shows BUT I'm still awaiting the outstanding other than a highlight or 2 once in awhile. Although the boy walking in on them during the opener of season 2 did bring back some not so fond memories. That boy will never be the same no matter how much they deny it.

You never forget your first time even if its mom and dad doing it.

Sorry you didn't like it.  My wife and I loved it, but comedy appreciation might be more of a personal taste matter than other types of shows. 

Also sorry about the trauma you apparently inflicted on your offspring!

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

It's been really good. Phase 3 has probably been the strongest overall phase. That run of Homecoming, Ragnarok, Black Panther, and Infinity War was the best stretch so far, I think. 

On 3/11/2019 at 7:43 PM, #freejame said:

I just watched An American Werewolf in London for the first time and I absolutely loved it. Best monster movie I’ve ever seen, though I’ve seen relatively few. Anyone have similar recommendations?

Stranger Things.  

4 hours ago, shrader said:

Did they clean up the mess Bob left behind yet?

TBD I haven’t made it out of the upside down yet. Spoiler alert: the Sabres are bad here, too.

Separately: just watched the first episode of the FX What We Do In the Shadows series. Not bad. It’s got Matt Berry from IT Crowd in it. Very similar humor to the movie. Highly recommend the movie if you’re into some British humor.

20 hours ago, Hoss said:

TBD I haven’t made it out of the upside down yet. Spoiler alert: the Sabres are bad here, too.

Separately: just watched the first episode of the FX What We Do In the Shadows series. Not bad. It’s got Matt Berry from IT Crowd in it. Very similar humor to the movie. Highly recommend the movie if you’re into some British humor.

I didn’t know they were making it into a series. Such a great movie. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

The Expanse is a decent watch, which is a surprise coming from SyFy. It's a different take on space opera, being set in within the Sol system (our solar system) and using "plausible" technology (rail guns, nukes, and thrusters, not blasters, photon torpedos, and warp drives). Three seasons (up to current) on Prime video, maybe other places too.

12 minutes ago, MattPie said:

The Expanse is a decent watch, which is a surprise coming from SyFy. It's a different take on space opera, being set in within the Sol system (our solar system) and using "plausible" technology (rail guns, nukes, and thrusters, not blasters, photon torpedos, and warp drives). Three seasons (up to current) on Prime video, maybe other places too.

The Expanse is excelent! It's not just the technology that is plausible, but everything. The way of life, the politics, the nationalism, everything is spot on. It's a really good show.

18 hours ago, Hoss said:

The first episode of the new Twilight Zone with Jordan Peele is on YouTube and BOYYYY it’s good

Watched the opening 30 seconds or so just out of curiosity, but I haven't had time to watch the full episode yet. I'm a little worried about the hour long run time, I feel like Twilight Zone thrives with the 30 minute constraint. Hoping for the best, though.

21 hours ago, MattPie said:

It's based on a series of books, the latest release of which just came out last week (Tiamat's Wrath).

30 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

It's based on a series of books, the latest release of which just came out last week (Tiamat's Wrath).

I saw that after I finished the seasons looking up the show info. I'm a stickler for spoilers so I often avoid reading anything about a show before I've watched it. I'm also now resisting the urge to start buying/borrowing all the books.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the first trailer for Episode 9 - The Rise of Skywalker

It looks awesome!  Of course.... Episode 8 had a great trailer, and that turned out to be a huge disappointment.  

The title is an instant attention grabber.  The Rise of Skywalker?  What does the title really mean?  A number of ideas are already being debated.  

Simply cannot wait for Episode 9 to be released in December.  

Let me add - I don’t think the title is making reference to Rey as a Skywalker.  I’m leaning towards the idea of younger generations viewing Skywalker as a legend.   Hence - Tbe rise of Skywalker.  

Edited by GoPre