Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

On 2/16/2019 at 6:50 AM, SABRES 0311 said:

Wife just introduced me to Dr. Pimple Popper. I’m gonna be sick.

Great show! I like to watch with my snack of cottage cheese.

---

Hey @New Scotland (NS) do you feel any differently (better?) about Bohemian Rhapsody after it won four Oscars, including best actor. (And was nominated for best picture.) Two surviving members of the band were creative consultants and were beaming in the audience. So it was obviously legit.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

WARNING SOME SPOILER!!!: CAPTAIN MARVEL

Ok so I just saw Captain Marvel and I know there are a lot of reviews coming out. Here is my take.

The movie provides the standard character background just like the stand alone movies for each Avenger member. There are some tie ins to the rest of the Avenger universe as well. 

The fight scenes were on par with the first Iron Man movie in their quality/excitement so it depends on your opinion of that. Character history is pretty easy to understand and of course you have the credits scene. Samuel L. Jackson had his funny moments and a much bigger role compared to other Avenger movies. So for the history of the Avengers I think it was good.

Here is where I tell you that reviews were not that far off. Jackson does a good job along with the supporting cast. Some comic relief mixed with heroic acts. The problem is with the lack of emotion in the main character. I don’t want to give spoilers but when you see events that happen to the heroin ask yourself how you or any other person would react. Even Tony Stark shows emotions and vulnerability when it’s appropriate. This does not happen with Captain Marvel. Emotions are part of character development. Aside from a backstory there isn’t much development at all. Through all the trials and tribulations our main character endures she is the same person, no better or worse emotionally or morally by the end. Unless you count a five second look back at Earth at the end.

Captain Marvel is built as a mix of Stark’s attitude and Captain America’s physical strength, minus the flying. However she is human. Essentially the problem with this movie is the lack of human response to situations which makes Captain Marvel the main character instead of Carol Danvers. Most if not all of the other Avenger movies did it the other way around. You want to get to know the persona of the character as much as their alter ego. This did not happen. 

The reason I think this happened is bad writing and bad acting of Ms Larsson. As the most powerful Avenger this movie should have undergone longer development. Marvel is joining a fight a decade in the making. We love Stark, Rogers, Natasha, Banner, Parker, so on. Now we are supposed to accept Marvel who has missed our beloved character’s long fight as what is being built as their savior. If that’s the case another Marvel movie should’ve been made prior to End Game but that’s not reality. 

Recommendation: Go see the movie because it is part of the bigger universe. However keep your expectations to a backstory with CGI. I’d give it a 6.5 out of 10. 

3 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Ok so I just saw Captain Marvel and I know there are a lot of reviews coming out. Here is my take.

The movie provides the standard character background just like the stand alone movies for each Avenger member. There are some tie ins to the rest of the Avenger universe as well. 

The fight scenes were on par with the first Iron Man movie in their quality/excitement so it depends on your opinion of that. Character history is pretty easy to understand and of course you have the credits scene. Samuel L. Jackson had his funny moments and a much bigger role compared to other Avenger movies. So for the history of the Avengers I think it was good.

Here is where I tell you that reviews were not that far off. Jackson does a good job along with the supporting cast. Some comic relief mixed with heroic acts. The problem is with the lack of emotion in the main character. I don’t want to give spoilers but when you see events that happen to the heroin ask yourself how you or any other person would react. Even Tony Stark shows emotions and vulnerability when it’s appropriate. This does not happen with Captain Marvel. Emotions are part of character development. Aside from a backstory there isn’t much development at all. Through all the trials and tribulations our main character endures she is the same person, no better or worse emotionally or morally by the end. Unless you count a five second look back at Earth at the end.

Captain Marvel is built as a mix of Stark’s attitude and Captain America’s physical strength, minus the flying. However she is human. Essentially the problem with this movie is the lack of human response to situations which makes Captain Marvel the main character instead of Carol Danvers. Most if not all of the other Avenger movies did it the other way around. You want to get to know the persona of the character as much as their alter ego. This did not happen. 

The reason I think this happened is bad writing and bad acting of Ms Larsson. As the most powerful Avenger this movie should have undergone longer development. Marvel is joining a fight a decade in the making. We love Stark, Rogers, Natasha, Banner, Parker, so on. Now we are supposed to accept Marvel who has missed our beloved character’s long fight as what is being built as their savior. If that’s the case another Marvel movie should’ve been made prior to End Game but that’s not reality. 

Recommendation: Go see the movie because it is part of the bigger universe. However keep your expectations to a backstory with CGI. I’d give it a 6.5 out of 10. 

I agree mostly with this assessment. The biggest issue for me is what you’re saying about the timing. That’s spot on. We’ve given so many hours to the series and everything has been building to endgame just for us to welcome an all new character a month before the movie? That’s tough. We don’t know her or like her enough yet. We haven’t seen what she’s been through aside from flashbacks that don’t seem to impact her.

She’s a great actress, I think this was more bad directing. Someone needed to stop the process and write in some more time for emotion. They were rushing so much in the movie that she never had time to care. The few moments she did have to care were lackluster.

But all that said my biggest issue with the movie was Ronin. He’s actually, I think, the best villain the MCU has ever had but in both movies he’s appeared in he was underused. Then there’s the issue that they replaced the original actor who played him so well.

I still had a good time, though. I’d give it a 7.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

We are going to see it today.

I'm going to keep an open mind, and there is hardly EVER a movie that I dislike (Nothing but trouble, an early 1990's movie, is really the only movie I actually hated).  So I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it.  I am a bit worried about how they are going to portray her character though.

I do not think they have to stick to the comic book version of the character all the time, but I am a little concerned about the 'most powerful character in the Marvel cinematic universe' aspect of it.  Am I just against a female character being powerful? No.  But, from what I have read/heard, Captain marvel is typically not as powerful as the hulk...a lot less powerful overall than most versions of Thor...and not even close to someone like Odin or Thanos with the gauntlet.  If the story is good I'll be happy with the character and looking forward to seeing her character in future movies...I just don't want it to look like they intentionally 'overpowered' her character because it is the politically correct thing to do with female characters right now.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Not sure I agree with you and Hoss on the timing. We didn't get any more time to warm up to Spiderman or Black Panther before the Avengers. 1 movie and 2 really small and semi random parts in another. I don't think you're wrong, per se, I just don't think it's more problematic than any of the other non-original Avengers. 

Also, FWIW, I don't think she's going to be their savior any more than Thor getting his axe (which is problematic in and of itself since his last movie was all about him being the power, not his weapon) or Ant Man with the quantum particles. In other words, I'd be shocked if Marvel treats her like DC did Superman in Justice League. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

We are going to see it today.

I'm going to keep an open mind, and there is hardly EVER a movie that I dislike (Nothing but trouble, an early 1990's movie, is really the only movie I actually hated).  So I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it.  I am a bit worried about how they are going to portray her character though.

I do not think they have to stick to the comic book version of the character all the time, but I am a little concerned about the 'most powerful character in the Marvel cinematic universe' aspect of it.  Am I just against a female character being powerful? No.  But, from what I have read/heard, Captain marvel is typically not as powerful as the hulk...a lot less powerful overall than most versions of Thor...and not even close to someone like Odin or Thanos with the gauntlet.  If the story is good I'll be happy with the character and looking forward to seeing her character in future movies...I just don't want it to look like they intentionally 'overpowered' her character because it is the politically correct thing to do with female characters right now.

Sigh. Took...3?...posts for this line of thinking to emerge. Thor ,Vision, and Hulk are done, leaving Doctor Strange as the only real heavy hitter remaining. With the MCU increasingly expanding into its cosmic (and more powerful) universe, they need someone to carry the torch in that direction. 

13 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Not sure I agree with you and Hoss on the timing. We didn't get any more time to warm up to Spiderman or Black Panther before the Avengers. 1 movie and 2 really small and semi random parts in another. I don't think you're wrong, per se, I just don't think it's more problematic than any of the other non-original Avengers. 

Also, FWIW, I don't think she's going to be their savior any more than Thor getting his axe (which is problematic in and of itself since his last movie was all about him being the power, not his weapon) or Ant Man with the quantum particles. In other words, I'd be shocked if Marvel treats her like DC did Superman in Justice League. 

So this part I got from watching perhaps too many YouTube videos on plot leaks. This is a whole other discussion.

The thing with Spiderman is we had the original movies, the reboot and the new one. Different actors but we know Peter Parker. Maybe I just didn’t get into Captain Marvel when I was younger. If I did I might be more into the movie. Black Panther on the other hand was in his own movie and got a substantial role in Civil War. Both characters seemed well received in Infinity War especially Spiderman, hence the crying when Thanos snapped him out of existence (inside the soul stone?).

To be honest though Iron Man 2 didn’t really draw me in either and I love the character/acting overall. Maybe I’ll warm up to Captain Marvel in End Game. 

I really enjoy discussing the Marvel universe though. I heard a rumor there are two versions of End Game. One gives Marvel a smaller role which was done in case of bad fan reception. Either way I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Galactus and a Fantastic 4 tie in. Can’t wait for End Game!

30 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Sigh. Took...3?...posts for this line of thinking to emerge. Thor ,Vision, and Hulk are done, leaving Doctor Strange as the only real heavy hitter remaining. With the MCU increasingly expanding into its cosmic (and more powerful) universe, they need someone to carry the torch in that direction. 

I'm not sure why you are 'sighing' and making a point of 'this line of thinking'.  All I said is I didn't want them to 'overpower' her character just because she is a female character.  Disney has been criticized for doing this before (Rey in the new Star Wars), the actress who stars in this movie made a point of saying something like less men should be reviewing the movie and more women should (I'm paraphrasing, something like that), and they did decide to make the 'official' release of this movie on 'International Womens Day'.  I didn't dig up those facts, in casual browsing around the internet I read those things over and over.  

Don't project  something saying "this line of thinking" in response to my post when all I said is I hope they don't "overpower" her character because of the above topics.  There are a lot of males out there on forums and social media saying they won't see this movie and putting up negative reviews (giving it one star ratings to push down the overall raking) on read sites...and they are doing that simply because it is a superhero movie staring a female lead. That is not what I am doing or saying at all.

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm not sure why you are 'sighing' and making a point of 'this line of thinking'.  All I said is I didn't want them to 'overpower' her character just because she is a female character.  Disney has been criticized for doing this before (Rey in the new Star Wars), the actress who stars in this movie made a point of saying something like less men should be reviewing the movie and more women should (I'm paraphrasing, something like that), and they did decide to make the 'official' release of this movie on 'International Womens Day'.  I didn't dig up those facts, in casual browsing around the internet I read those things over and over.  

Don't project  something saying "this line of thinking" in response to my post when all I said is I hope they don't "overpower" her character because of the above topics.  There are a lot of males out there on forums and social media saying they won't see this movie and putting up negative reviews (giving it one star ratings to push down the overall raking) on read sites...and they are doing that simply because it is a superhero movie staring a female lead. That is not what I am doing or saying at all.

It's hard not to read your words and "project" anything.  What's wrong with having a powerful female character and wanting gender diversity?  Like, literally how does that make anything worse for anyone?  None of the MCU characters match up to their comic book counterparts in power level (well, maybe Hawkeye...poor Hawkeye), so why does it matter now when it's a female character?

4 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It’s problematic because it’s literally the end of this version of the MCU. Infinity War was an all-hands on deck effort so suddenly seeing new faces is more expected in that timeframe where as “END GAME” is supposed to have a very final feel to it for this era of super heroes. MCU will be very different after it. And we’ve seen these characters go through so much so to peg all hopes on someone we just met is going to be an interesting dynamic.

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Anyone who thinks Rey is overpowered just because she’s a girl and not because she’s the main character of a multi-billion dollar movie empire is a sexist.

Also, it’s crazy to me that people struggle with the idea of powerful women. Not only from throughout our own planet but even in movies about flying space people with light swords and giant purple men and time travel.

Edited by Hoss

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

again. she had a comic series with the tag line Earth's mightiest hero. That series was back in 2012. if you want to go even further back she was cosmically supercharged by the great Chris Claremont back in the 80's and assumed the monkier of Binary. It is not a in vogue thing to put Captain Marvel in the heavy hitter range. to channel LL She been here for years

5 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Still a nice thing to see with the family. Youngest loved the cat. A nice Stan Lee cameo too. 

Goose may be the real star of the movie.

The cameo was nice. The tribute made me cry

4 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Hulk is done? I thought Ruffalo had a few more movies on his contract after endgame

26 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It’s problematic because it’s literally the end of this version of the MCU. Infinity War was an all-hands on deck effort so suddenly seeing new faces is more expected in that timeframe where as “END GAME” is supposed to have a very final feel to it for this era of super heroes. MCU will be very different after it. And we’ve seen these characters go through so much so to peg all hopes on someone we just met is going to be an interesting dynamic.

But that's just it, there has to be some kind of transition.

Anyway, given that we know almost nothing about the plot, it's an awfully large leap to assume they're relying on her as some kind of savior. If they do a Superman in Justice League I'll be right there with you, that would be terrible. But I don't think anything indicates that is what is going to happen. If the credits scene is any clue at all, she arrives very early in the movie. That hardly points to her as some kind of savior.