Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

On 1/5/2019 at 11:20 AM, Samson's Flow said:

Any thoughts on this Bird Box phenomenon? My wife has been sick all week so we've been watching a lot of movies, and the best I can say is it's a better version of The Happening (which I thought was awful).

Too much character back story. I watched it all but ff’d through the boring back story parts.

a solid 2 meh’s.

My wife and I are getting back into 'Little Mosque on the Prairie'.  

If you are from the Great White North, or close to it, you should recognize it as the award (?) winning CBC (read Canadian Production) series.  

It is great and really plays on both Muslim and Red Neck stereotypes, but in a very funny way.  So far as I know it is only available (comercial free) on YouTube.  Each episode by season.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
the only thing worse than my math is my typing ...

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So I watched "The Ladykillers", a Coen brothers movie that I hadn't seen before (starring Tom Hanks!), on the plane home the other day.  Pretty good if you like their movies.  I'll give it a B-plus.

In my top 3 Coen bros. movies.

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So I watched "The Ladykillers", a Coen brothers movie that I hadn't seen before (starring Tom Hanks!), on the plane home the other day.  Pretty good if you like their movies.  I'll give it a B-plus.

Tom Hanks is my last hope in Hollywood humanity.  If anything nefarious ever leaked out about him I'm not sure what I'd do.

23 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Tom Hanks is my last hope in Hollywood humanity.  If anything nefarious ever leaked out about him I'm not sure what I'd do.

"Nefarious" used twice within 20 minutes in separate threads.

Keeping NHL chatter above a 3rd grade reading level...

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Interesting.  I’d probably put it in my 2nd tier for them — ie pretty good to very good, but not great. 

My top 3:

1.  Miller’s Crossing 

2.  True Grit

3.   Raising Arizona 

2nd tier:

No Country for old Men

Ladykillers

Blood Simple

Fargo

5 hours ago, Weave said:

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I’d be interested in others’ rankings of the Coen Brothers’ oeuvre (is that a fancy enough word for this thread?), for anyone who’s so inclined.  

1. No Country for Old Men

2. Burn After Reading

3. Bridge of Spies

4. Fargo

35 minutes ago, jsb said:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs first 30 minutes is gold. 

Watched Unbreakable, B+, is Split worth watching and if so is Mr. Glass any good??

I just finished watching Split about 30 mins ago. I really liked it. Can’t wait for Glass.

Anyone watch Escape at Dennemorra? After it won the Golden Globe we started it this week and have been watching two episodes a night since then - very good and interesting that it occurred in NYS (and we realized the week of my wedding!)

13 hours ago, jsb said:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs first 30 minutes is gold. 

Watched Unbreakable, B+, is Split worth watching and if so is Mr. Glass any good??

Split was very good IMO, but we love psychological thrillers

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Solo, pretty meh. Think I've just gotten older and realize Star Wars movies ate all petty meh

Besides Empire Strikes Back

Solo was meh

To your other point, it has nothing to do with the movies themselves getting progressively worse as we aged. The best ones were the original two

40 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Solo was meh

To your other point, it has nothing to do with the movies themselves getting progressively worse as we aged. The best ones were the original two

The first two were great, that's true. Then they ruined it with the Ewoks

26 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I thought Solo was a ton of fun. I think it's my favorite of the new movies. 

Speaking of fun movies, I really liked Aquaman. DC's best effort this side of Wonder Woman. 

Solo was fun and the best of the new ones for sure, but still underwhelmed. They're all just so predictable; same type of characters, plot, arc, twists and turns, etc.

Surprised to here Aquaman was that good, it did great in the box office though too

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Solo was fun and the best of the new ones for sure, but still underwhelmed. They're all just so predictable; same type of characters, plot, arc, twists and turns, etc.

Surprised to here Aquaman was that good, it did great in the box office though too

I'm not saying it was a masterpiece of cinema or anything, but I thought it was a lot of fun and didn't take itself too seriously. I also have a weird love of the legend of Atlantis, so the whole thing worked for me. 

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I thought Solo was a ton of fun. I think it's my favorite of the new movies. 

Speaking of fun movies, I really liked Aquaman. DC's best effort this side of Wonder Woman. 

Agree on Solo, but The Last Jedi is an amazing movie. 

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

And when The Last Jedi gave us something new, everyone complained. This is why Solo was so by the book.

9 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'm not saying it was a masterpiece of cinema or anything, but I thought it was a lot of fun and didn't take itself too seriously. I also have a weird love of the legend of Atlantis, so the whole thing worked for me. 

And who doesn't love Dolph Lundgren?