Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

22 minutes ago, LTS said:

Did you start from the beginning?  I had a friend tell me start with Season 3 when it came out.  I did that.. I have gone back to watch some of the others from the beginning.  I'm not totally sold that Season 3 is crazier, but there's some messed up stuff.

I love the show though. It's right up my alley. It's a technology driven Twilight Zone.

Yeah, started with S1E1. I know from some reading ahead (i'm that idiot who reads the end of the book before I'm actually there) that later episodes tie in elements from the first couple of seasons- I look forward to catching some of those little moments. 

I was watching it & definitely decided it was modern Twilight Zone- describes it very well. The pacing overall and the feeling at the end of each episode is so eerily similar to how I dream- hyper detailed, cinematic, patterned, oddly empty yet familiar but cold feeling/hopeless at the end, then you wake up like your throat is empty of air and remind yourself it's not reality- that it's a little disturbing. It's kinda nice to know other people out there think in the same bizarre ways I do when I'm unconscious. 

2 hours ago, josie said:

Yeah, started with S1E1. I know from some reading ahead (i'm that idiot who reads the end of the book before I'm actually there) that later episodes tie in elements from the first couple of seasons- I look forward to catching some of those little moments. 

I was watching it & definitely decided it was modern Twilight Zone- describes it very well. The pacing overall and the feeling at the end of each episode is so eerily similar to how I dream- hyper detailed, cinematic, patterned, oddly empty yet familiar but cold feeling/hopeless at the end, then you wake up like your throat is empty of air and remind yourself it's not reality- that it's a little disturbing. It's kinda nice to know other people out there think in the same bizarre ways I do when I'm unconscious. 

Not reality yet... but very well could be any day now.

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I watched "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" the other night.  Didn't love it -- I'll give it a B-minus.  "True Grit" is a far superior Coen bros. western IMHO.

I'm going to watch this at some point. I liked True Grit, but I suspect this will be a little more... Barton Fink?

On 11/20/2018 at 9:28 PM, ubkev said:

For Your Eyes Only

One of my favorite Bond movies. Love the car. Especially love the song. Most people don't like it, but I think it's one of Moore's best.

One of Moore's best? Is that like one of Ron Rolston's best-coached games?

• Haha (+1) 1

There is a movie about Dick Cheney coming out on Christmas.  Here is the actor playing him.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6266538/mediaviewer/rm2787015680

I thought it was 71-year old Richard Dreyfuss, certainly not 44-year old Christian Bale.  Here's another beauty of the lengths he's willing to go to capture a character (Cheney again).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6266538/mediaviewer/rm1327397888

Here is what he did to himself in 2004 for The Machinist.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361862/mediaviewer/rm1747859712

Say what you will about him, he has been fantastic in some fantastic movies:  The Machinist, Empire of the Sun (as a 13-year old), American Psycho, his Batman movies, The Big Short, etc.

6 minutes ago, BagBoy said:

There is a movie about Dick Cheney coming out on Christmas.  Here is the actor playing him.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6266538/mediaviewer/rm2787015680

I thought it was 71-year old Richard Dreyfuss, certainly not 44-year old Christian Bale.  Here's another beauty of the lengths he's willing to go to capture a character (Cheney again).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6266538/mediaviewer/rm1327397888

Say what you will about him, he has been fantastic in some fantastic movies:  The Machinist, Empire of the Sun (as a 13-year old), American Psycho, his Batman movies, The Big Short, etc.

I had to re-read that part.

12 hours ago, BagBoy said:

And then the next movie he filmed after that was Batman Begins, so he immediately had to bulk back up to super shape.  The dude's heart is going to fail on him someday and most people will not even realize how much he's put himself through over the years.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

And then the next movie he filmed after that was Batman Begins, so he immediately had to bulk back up to super shape.  The dude's heart is going to fail on him someday and most people will not even realize how much he's put himself through over the years.

He did that for all of the Dark Knight trilogy. Machinist(insomniac) into Batman Begins, Rescue Dawn(malnourished POW) into The Dark Knight and The Fighter(crack head) into Dark Knight Rises.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

It's insane. He's not someone I immediately think of as a great actor, but his range and method acting is reaching Daniel Day-Lewis levels (side note- Bill the Butcher is still one of my top 5 favorite characters of all time. God- so good). And I've never disliked him in a role. I kinda feel like his part in The Big Short was a wee glimpse into the real dude, the whole screaming and raging to metal thing while being obsessive.... I love that movie. 

Fun fact- when preparing the role of Patrick Bateman for American Psycho (which is the only book that I, an avid true crime/gross out fan, could not get through sections of), he said he based his performance off a chance encounter with Tom Cruise in an elevator. He said something along the lines of feeling like Cruise had a big smile and friendly words but absolutely dead eyes, like a sociopath. Which, given Cruise's involvement with Miscavige and the rest of the Scientology goons, is kinda chilling haha 

1 minute ago, JujuFish said:

I don't like Bale's Batman at all. His Bruce Wayne is good, though.

I haven't seen many of his movies, but I really enjoyed The Prestige.

Check out the Fighter if you ever have the chance (and the stomach for a Marky Mark "acting" performance).  That's about as good as he gets.  I can't imagine there are too many movies that landed both the best supporting actor and actress (and a 2nd nominee in the latter as well).

So last night after the Sabres game I was flipping around and came across "True Romance" just as the incredible scene with James Gandolfini and Patricia Arquette was starting. 

It's a great movie if you've never seen it (written by Tarantino, btw) and this scene was amazing.  The pre-Sopranos Gandolfini weighed at least 100 lbs less and was still a frightening and highly compelling presence.

(BTW, I had lunch about 10 years ago with some work colleagues and Gandolfini was at the next table.  He was scary in person too.  We were thinking about surreptitiously taking a photo and decided not to do so -- and then like 2 days later, he was in the news for assaulting someone for taking his picture on a sidewalk without his permission.)

18 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So last night after the Sabres game I was flipping around and came across "True Romance" just as the incredible scene with James Gandolfini and Patricia Arquette was starting. 

It's a great movie if you've never seen it (written by Tarantino, btw) and this scene was amazing.  The pre-Sopranos Gandolfini weighed at least 100 lbs less and was still a frightening and highly compelling presence.

(BTW, I had lunch about 10 years ago with some work colleagues and Gandolfini was at the next table.  He was scary in person too.  We were thinking about surreptitiously taking a photo and decided not to do so -- and then like 2 days later, he was in the news for assaulting someone for taking his picture on a sidewalk without his permission.)

Favorite movie ever. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, josie said:

One of my top picks, too. I've kinda cooled on Tarantino but that's just a damn good fun movie. 

So much fun!!!

I still haven't finished Hateful Eight. Made it about a half hour in and now it's just sitting there in my Netflix queue.

14 minutes ago, ubkev said:

So much fun!!!

I still haven't finished Hateful Eight. Made it about a half hour in and now it's just sitting there in my Netflix queue.

I haven't even tried. I was so disappointed in Django in theaters and I felt Hateful Eight was going to be similar in a lot of ways. I've seen some of it when Carter was watching it but it wasn't captivating enough for me to sit down and join in (and maybe the prude historian in me is still mad about the accidental? smashing up of a historical artifact ). Maybe I'm doing it dirty, but it's not on my list anytime soon. Inglorious Basterds was the last Tarantino flick I loved- and I still haven't figured out what changed. Because I really love most of his other films. Bugs me.   

24 minutes ago, ubkev said:

22 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I thought Hateful Eight was okay. Nothing amazing though. 

Beat me to it.  Not one of QT's better ones, IMHO.

4 minutes ago, josie said:

I haven't even tried. I was so disappointed in Django in theaters and I felt Hateful Eight was going to be similar in a lot of ways. I've seen some of it when Carter was watching it but it wasn't captivating enough for me to sit down and join in (and maybe the prude historian in me is still mad about the accidental? smashing up of a historical artifact ). Maybe I'm doing it dirty, but it's not on my list anytime soon. Inglorious Basterds was the last Tarantino flick I loved- and I still haven't figured out what changed. Because I really love most of his other films. Bugs me.   

OTOH, I really liked Django.