Cody Hodgson Retires

GASabresIUFAN

Unless he comes out and details how the injury derailed his career, we are left to fill in the gaps.

Yes and I'd like to think most could have done better with the talent he had. Good on him, now he can hike with Gary Roberts and eat donuts from Tim Hortons.

So, a guy works out with Gary Roberts because he thinks he has enough talent to get by on talent alone? I don't get this logic.

Kinda makes me think that he didn't have as much talent as everyone thought and told him he did and he actually made the most of what he did have. The scorn in this thread is yet another example of an abused fan base being forced to hang their hats on JAG once again.

Cody was fine. I wish he was better. He wasn't. Let's just hope he doesn't ruin all those kids he'll be teaching by showing them how to look like they're trying without actually trying.

Right - I remember that he had a bad back that went misdiagnosed for a while, and then got diagnosed, and then he got well.

So I infer that it's just been speculation that a bad back is a bad back, and that Hodgson never got right.

So, a guy works out with Gary Roberts because he thinks he has enough talent to get by on talent alone? I don't get this logic.

Kinda makes me think that he didn't have as much talent as everyone thought and told him he did and he actually made the most of what he did have. The scorn in this thread is yet another example of an abused fan base being forced to hang their hats on JAG once again.

Cody was fine. I wish he was better. He wasn't. Let's just hope he doesn't ruin all those kids he'll be teaching by showing them how to look like they're trying without actually trying.

Good post. I didn't ever get the sense that he wasn't working hard. Did someone say he came to camp fat once?

His issue seemed to be a lack of speed and quickness. He wound up being not quite good enough to thrive in the top 6, and just not cut out for developing a grittier bottom 6 role.

Right - I remember that he had a bad back that went misdiagnosed for a while, and then got diagnosed, and then he got well.

So I infer that it's just been speculation that a bad back is a bad back, and that Hodgson never got right.

Good post. I didn't ever get the sense that he wasn't working hard. Did someone say he came to camp fat once?

His issue seemed to be a lack of speed and quickness. He wound up being not quite good enough to thrive in the top 6, and just not cut out for developing a grittier bottom 6 role.

Paul Hamilton definitely called him overweight during his last stint with the team

Paul Hamilton definitely called him overweight during his last stint with the team

Huh. I kinda seem to recall that, now that you say it. I can't find a link, though.

My searching did turn up an indication that he was in Europe working with a skating coach when the Sabres decided to buy him out.

Corky Hotdog ruined his own career because he didn't give a ###### about hockey. Didn't want it. Probably never did.

His dad made him do it. It was sad when Cody, a la Jimmy Piersall in the grips of a nervous breakdown, scaled the safety netting and yelled, "Is that good enough dad?! Is it?! Am I good enough now?!" 

He wasn't the only player that had played well elsewhere, only to be thrown into the tire fire of a tank and never emerge again into the NHL, or at least a respectable standing

He was a defensive nightmare and showed no interest in working on that aspect of his game.

He worked himself into a tight spot in Vancouver and then did the same here.

Also, way too slow for the NHL game.  Just goes to show a really top junior prospect may be worth nothing at the NHL level.

That was Cody.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/we-hardly-knew-you-cody-former-canucks-first-rounder-to-coach-wee-tennesseans

A sad end of what could have been a really solid career. However, a lack of foot speed and a 2 way game ended the dream. At least he walks away with a huge pile of Pegula cash.

I wish him the best.

More likely an unwillingness to change the way he played the game...Paul Hamilton repeatedly said that Hodgson had his idea of the way the game should be played and anything that didn't fit that way, he didn't listen to...

Too bad for him he was never the coach.

• 5 years later...
17 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

I happened to see earlier when I was looking at Spotrac that this year is finally the last payment of Hodgson's buyout.  He'll finally be off the books.  What a long chapter that ended up being.

You dug up a 6 year old thread in order to post this??!

1 hour ago, Thwomp! said:

I happened to see earlier when I was looking at Spotrac that this year is finally the last payment of Hodgson's buyout.  He'll finally be off the books.  What a long chapter that ended up being.

That fact has been stated multiple times by multiple posters, myself included in the past 2 years at least. When discussing the cap. 😂

On 10/3/2016 at 7:41 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/we-hardly-knew-you-cody-former-canucks-first-rounder-to-coach-wee-tennesseans

A sad end of what could have been a really solid career. However, a lack of foot speed and a 2 way game ended the dream. At least he walks away with a huge pile of Pegula cash.

I wish him the best.

This is the story of many but for Hodgson add that he was not a hard worker.  He made a lot of money though.  

18 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

This is the story of many but for Hodgson add that he was not a hard worker.  He made a lot of money though.  

You are quoting something written 6 years ago.

Hodgkin has an autoimmune disease that was causing him shortness of breath, heart arrhythmia, and blackouts.  I’m not sure if it’s possible to be a hard working professional athlete while going through that.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

You are quoting something written 6 years ago.

Hodgkin has an autoimmune disease that was causing him shortness of breath, heart arrhythmia, and blackouts.  I’m not sure if it’s possible to be a hard working professional athlete while going through that.

Yep, my quote was long before we knew how ill CoHo really was. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.