Sabres acquire Dmitry Kulikov for Mark Pysyk

Hoss

I'm saying us giving the third is what moved us up, so it's just s matter of which player you prefer.

Of course. Just mentioning it facilitated the pick swap as well. But you are right, it was more/less straight up Kulikov for Pysyk. It's a big win for me. I wanted Fowler a ton but the price was apparently too high.

Edited by Thorny

So, does this mean no Fowler?

I don't necessarily think so. They are going to have a nightmare scenario for the expansion draft in getting no-one for a boatload of good Dmen. They most likely are going to have to trade someone or multiple someone's and the price is going to go down the longer they wait.

Interesting that Florida - an emerging team trying to elevate to true contender status - traded away a pair of high-pedigree old-school defencemen known to play with an edge (Kulikov and Gudbranson) and added a pair of smooth-skating softies (Pysyk and Yandle) beloved by the analytics community.

I've made no secret of being a Pysyk fan, or of being disappointed with his play this year. I'm very interested in seeing what he does in Sunrise and whether he will be able to prove Murray and Bylsma wrong for not utilizing him properly. Hope he succeeds.

I like Kulikov. He's only a year older than Mark and has had a far more successful career. He gets criticized for being uneven in his play and not producing as much offence as they thought he might when drafted. A good comparable in terms of what role he plays and level of play he provides might be Toni Lydman - solid all-around skills, mobility and toughness. In addition to the obvious handedness thing, he is a Murrray type player in that he engages and tries to make plays, something Pysyk just didn't do enough of for this management team. He is a solid second-pair guy and does not preclude a move for a Fowler.

I am crushed that Murray has buried the "hates Russian" meme.

Edited by dudacek

I like the trade. I think Kulikov is a slight upgrade to Pysyk, I would have given Pysyk and that third for him. Then we move up five spots for free. 

I also like it because it shows that Murray won't always pay an asset or two too much, just when there's a guy he REALLY wants. 

Solid move. Don't stop pushing for Fowler.

Maybe I've lost track of the NHL salary situation, but $4.5 million a year for a defenseman seems pricey-ish.

I think he means we didn't pay too much to acquire him...

I really like the trade, Pysyk wasn't the greatest fit here, and I strongly believe Kuli has a higher ceiling. he has had a rough few years but did average .5PPG in 2010-11 season. He is a pick moving offensive defenseman, probably my favorite trade Murray has made.(O'reilly was a great trade just a bit steep I think)

Only downside is that now I have to change my hockey pool name from: Defy laws of Pyskys. It brought me good luck this year

Interesting that Florida - an emerging team trying to elevate to true contender status - traded away a pair of high-pedigree defencemen known to play with an edge (Kulikov and Gudbranson) and added a pair of smooth-skating softies (Pysyk and Yandle) beloved by the analytics community.

I've made no secret of being a Pysyk fan, or of being disappointed with his play this year. I'm very interested in seeing what he does in Sunrise and whether he will be able to prove Murray and Bylsma wrong for not utilizing him properly. Hope he succeeds.

I like Kulikov. He's only a year older than Mark and has had a far more successful career. He gets criticized for being uneven in his play and not producing as much offence as they thought he might when drafted. A good comparable in terms of what role he plays and level of play he provides might be Toni Lydman - solid all-around skills, mobility and toughness. In addition to the obvious handedness thing, he is a Murrray type player in that he engages and tries to make plays, something Pysyk just didn't do enough of for this management team. He is a solid second-pair guy and does not preclude a move for a Fowler.

I am crushed that Murray has buried the "hates Russian" meme.

He still hates them. He just hates non-aggressive defensemen more :)

I like the trade. I think Kulikov is a slight upgrade to Pysyk, I would have given Pysyk and that third for him. Then we move up five spots for free.

I also like it because it shows that Murray won't always pay an asset or two too much, just when there's a guy he REALLY wants.

I'll bet you a Paula's donut we're out on Fowler.

I'm with True, offer sheet Lindholm or Someone else.

There were certain teams interested in Kulikov that GMTM still is having talks with, I can see him being used in another trade deal.

Didn't think much of it at first but reading other forums and it has being going around there as well.

Don't feel this trade makes much sense for our D situation, yes he is LHD, but not a top 2 kinda guy.

There were certain teams interested in Kulikov that GMTM still is having talks with, I can see him being used in another trade deal.

Didn't think much of it at first but reading other forums and it has being going around there as well.

Source?

If true I hope he's packaged with the Russian we took in the 7th.

#gohomeboris #keeptheminsiberia #ZFG

Murray does it again. He overpays consistently in trades. He has traded away numerous #1 draft picks and to this point has very little to show for it. Kulikov is essentially a one year rental for Pysyk? I don't get it. 

Just because you don't understand doesn't make it wrong.  Bylsma said they've been watching a lot of film on Kulikov the last 3 weeks.  You'll have to forgive me that I'll side with their assessment of him.

Source?

If true I hope he's packaged with the Russian we took in the 7th.

#gohomeboris #keeptheminsiberia #ZFG

I, for one, refuse to let the "Murray hates Russians" meme die until he signs Kulikov to an extension. Until that time, this is a "Murray hates Mark Pysyk and needs a LHD" trade.

Yes. I die hard.

Murray does it again. He overpays consistently in trades. He has traded away numerous #1 draft picks and to this point has very little to show for it. Kulikov is essentially a one year rental for Pysyk? I don't get it. 

this isn't overpayment, there was no room for Pysyk since we got Nelson.    Also we move up 5 spots in the 2nd round.  Its an even trade for sure, if anyone should be pissed its panthers fans.

If you go to nhl.com and see that Pysyk has played 125 games over 4 seasons and has 28 points to show for it, you think fringe NHL'er.

Murray said it was originally Pysyk and their first 3rd for Kulikov then he made them include the swap of seconds and the later third this morning to get it done. He did this because Asplud was the last prospect they had rated as a five and wanted to get him (for comparison he said Nylander is a five+).

Murray said he will let Bylsma decide on lineups but believes Kulikov is their second-best dman right now and is a number-one dman on the penalty kill. Talked about how Florida had him on the ice when they needed goals late and when they needed to protect the lead.

He noted Kulikov's first pass, too.

Like everyone else, I reeeeeally want to do something to put a guy next to Risto that pushes Kulikov to the 2nd pair. 
_____ - Ristolainen (Offer sheet Lindholm? :P )
Kulikov - Bogosian

Gorges/McCabe - Nelson

Gorges/McCabe - Franson

It would help a lot if Casey put on some muscle and build off of the puck skills he showed in his limited time here last season. I'd love if that happened and we could stick Gorges with him, have McCabe battle Gorges, whatever.

Oh I do, sir. I had literally just checked their site out because I had read through every single post here (other than the occasional marking the forum as read whenever the only threads with unread posts are from the threads I don't read like the Game of Thrones thread or the soccer thread). This place is always first in my batting order.

This is the same thing I do. Every day

Murray said it was originally Pysyk and their first 3rd for Kulikov then he made them include the swap of seconds and the later third this morning to get it done. He did this because Asplud was the last prospect they had rated as a five and wanted to get him (for comparison he said Nylander is a five+).

Murray said he will let Bylsma decide on lineups but believes Kulikov is their second-best dman right now and is a number-one dman on the penalty kill. Talked about how Florida had him on the ice when they needed goals late and when they needed to protect the lead.

He noted Kulikov's first pass, too.

Sounds like the defense has been improved a bit

Like everyone else, I reeeeeally want to do something to put a guy next to Risto that pushes Kulikov to the 2nd pair.

_____ - Ristolainen (Offer sheet Lindholm? :P )

Kulikov - Bogosian

Gorges/McCabe - Nelson

Gorges/McCabe - Franson

It would help a lot if Casey put on some muscle and build off of the puck skills he showed in his limited time here last season. I'd love if that happened and we could stick Gorges with him, have McCabe battle Gorges, whatever.

I think McCabe could push for 1st pairing Edited by Murray's Rats

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.