Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

If his rep is right and it's not just a negotiating tactic that's frustrating.

It would probably be a good idea for Vesey to sign now and get into somebody's system. Get to the camps. Be in the city.

Good news is he can now be wined and dined in Buffalo and at the Arena for the next month. 

Peter Donatelli, who represents Jimmy Vesey, had this to say about the Buffalo Sabres acquiring the rights of his client from the Nashville Predators: "In our opinion, the only thing that has happened is now the Sabres have stepped into the shoes of Nashville for exclusive rights [to negotiate] until Aug. 15. However, at this time, it doesn't change Jimmy Vesey's intention to become a free agent on Aug. 15."

Sounds like a waste of a draft pick on our part. Never thought he was coming here.

This isn't a slam dunk by any stretch.    They just have his rights.    Come Aug 15, Vesey and his camp should perform due diligence and choose what works best for them.    Just because his rights now belong to BUF doesn't change any of that.    It just means BUF can get a head start on the other clubs he may be entertaining.     Does he do the Pegula wine and dine trip on his private jet/boat?   Maybe.   

I also don't get all the hype around this kid.    His goal production dropped off last season in his senior season, that's troubling.    Also, he was a 3rd round pick.   Maybe experts see him differently, but until I see him produce, I like Fasching and Bailey as better prospects moving forward.

OK, who's got actionable intel on Vesey? I didn't see much with a google search for a Vesey scouting report.

It looks like he has good scoring touch and can pass it as well as shoot it. Is he fast? Tough? Good hockey IQ?

A scouting report is included in this article: http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/06/20/buffalo-sabres-trade-jimmy-vesey/

He's basically everything we want(ed) the Kassian/Girgensons/Foligno triumvirate to be, minus the fighting. Legitimate top-6 power forward who plays a complete game, with real offensive skill.

Peter Donatelli, who represents Jimmy Vesey, had this to say about the Buffalo Sabres acquiring the rights of his client from the Nashville Predators: "In our opinion, the only thing that has happened is now the Sabres have stepped into the shoes of Nashville for exclusive rights [to negotiate] until Aug. 15. However, at this time, it doesn't change Jimmy Vesey's intention to become a free agent on Aug. 15."

Translation: must...avoid...tampering...charges.

This isn't a slam dunk by any stretch.    They just have his rights.    Come Aug 15, Vesey and his camp should perform due diligence and choose what works best for them.    Just because his rights now belong to BUF doesn't change any of that.    It just means BUF can get a head start on the other clubs he may be entertaining.     Does he do the Pegula wine and dine trip on his private jet/boat?   Maybe.   

I also don't get all the hype around this kid.    His goal production dropped off last season in his senior season, that's troubling.    Also, he was a 3rd round pick.   Maybe experts see him differently, but until I see him produce, I like Fasching and Bailey as better prospects moving forward.

Repeat after me, This doesn't matter.

Don't like what the agent is saying but a good gamble nonetheless

Maybe if GMTM feels he can't get a deal done, he can trade his rights to another interested team.

It should be a simple conversation. 

GMTM:  "So, Jimmy, how about max entry-level deal and you get to play with Eichel and Reinhart?"

Vesey either replies yes or no.    If yes, done deal.... if no, trade his rights away to whoever you can get something from.... or package his rights in a deal for a guy like Lindholm or Fowler....  EVERYBODY wants to play in soCal. 

Edited by pi2000

Give me Jimmy!

Also: every time I read about Reinhart being on the wing, I die a little inside.

REINHART IS A CENTER

Unless he takes O'Reilly's spot, he's a winger on this team

Oh I almost forgot... yeah GMTM! I wasad last week he didn't do this move for Goligoski. Seems like he had one lined up

Unless he takes O'Reilly's spot, he's a winger on this team

Oh I almost forgot...###### yeah GMTM! I wasad last week he didn't do this move for Goligoski. Seems like he had one lined up

Sam and Jack are the top 2 centers for this team when we win a cup. O'Reilly will be just as useful on the wing.

I can't believe Bylsma wasted the end of a lost season with Samson on the wing instead of learning the center position at the NHL level.

Vesey invited to development camp, signed or not, right?

And goddamn right I'm counting my chickens with this one.

Press conference after the draft: "after smelling Mrs. Pegula's perfume, there didn't seem to be any reason to wait. I know what the air smells like in Boston and I hear Lou is an Aqua Velva man."

Edited by dudacek

Sam and Jack are the top 2 centers for this team when we win a cup. O'Reilly will be just as useful on the wing.

I can't believe Bylsma wasted the end of a lost season with Samson on the wing instead of learning the center position at the NHL level.

I don't see why we relegate O'Reilly.

Did anybody notice how good Sam looked prior to being the first centre chosen n the 2014 draft?

Or how good he looked as the first-line centre of the 2015 WJC gold medal team.

The kid is so good he can be a good winger despite not having the perfect skill set.

But he was born to play centre.

Putting on my GM/Agent hat with respectful trepidation - he's signed by Friday or he's not signed before he's a free agent. He'll see our best deal now, and that will include any premium we'd add for certainty before the draft or before NHL free agency in July. Beginning Friday, we start filling holes and moving bodies. If he passes, he'll see nothing greater before August 15. He may see less from us.

Edited by N'eo

it was only a 3rd round pick and we had 4 of them

I mean I get it... don't hate it. Just never thought he was going to come here.

Exactly… to me O'Reillys future on this team is on Jack's wing. To me that is 2/3's of an unstoppable line. Second line is Samson at center and Kane at LW. Both lines need rw's though. Bailey and Hudson have a shot, just not this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.