Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

I'm certainly not questioning how many Rangers fans there are but I am questioning how many hockey fans there are. We are a very jaded bunch in here. Most of my friends, who I consider good Sabres fans couldn't name 50% of the roster.

True, but you gotta remember we are the top 1% of Sabre fans. Most people are not like us where we know the team and a good chunk of the prospects. 

Show Jimmy's picture to 200 people in Manhattan. If 6 of them knew who he was I'd ###### in my hat.

Actually, I bet you could do that with the whole Rangers roster.

Definitely the islanders roster.

There are 20 million people in the greater NY metro area. That's more than half of all of Canada. Maybe relative to the overall population it's not a lot, but there are a lot more Rangers fans than you guys think.

Yes, this exactly. The Rangers have a larger fab base than a lot of teams I think, even if their numbers per capita may be lower. Just sheer population size accounting for this.

At least it makes Murray's trade for his rights and attempt to sign him look even better in retrospect.

feckin good call.

Agreed. ;)

Show Jimmy's picture to 200 people in Manhattan. If 6 of them knew who he was I'd ###### in my hat.

Actually, I bet you could do that with the whole Rangers roster.

Definitely the islanders roster.

There are 20 million people in the greater NY metro area. That's more than half of all of Canada. Maybe relative to the overall population it's not a lot, but there are a lot more Rangers fans than you guys think.

Yep, I'm not going to quote, but I agree with all of this. If you tally up the Islanders, Devils, and Rangers fans you probably have the same number of hockey fans as all of Canada. Maybe not the same level of fandom, but there just aren't that many people in the GWN.

Yep, I'm not going to quote, but I agree with all of this. If you tally up the Islanders, Devils, and Rangers fans you probably have the same number of hockey fans as all of Canada. Maybe not the same level of fandom, but there just aren't that many people in the GWN.

I think if you take that 20 million metro NYC area population number and than add maybe the population of Chicago and LA to it then you have a number that would be similar to the number of hockey fans in Canada.  Yep, around 25 - 26 million.

I think if you take that 20 million metro NYC area population number and than add maybe the population of Chicago and LA to it then you have a number that would be similar to the number of hockey fans in Canada.  Yep, around 25 - 26 million.

Yeah, in hindsight my numbers are off.

I'm an engineer that isn't all that great at higher-level math. I feel you.

I deal with odds on wagers and statistical probability all day long and I stopped taking math entirely after 11th grade. Not sure I ever scored higher than an 80 on a math regents exam.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.