Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Putting on my GM/Agent hat with respectful trepidation - he's signed by Friday or he's not signed before he's a free agent. He'll see our best deal now, and that will include any premium we'd add for certainty before the draft or before NHL free agency in July. Beginning Friday, we start filling holes and moving bodies. If he passes, he'll see nothing greater before August 15. He may see less from us.

There is no premium,he can only receive the max level entry contract...from us or any other team.

Awesome. Flat awesome.

Today, the winner is Nashville because they literally got a 3rd round pick for nothing. Vesey wasn't going to sign for them. Good move by Poile.

Tim Murray is gambling here. Maybe he figures a 3rd rounder is worth talking to Vesey before anyone else. He gains a few weeks to convince him otherwise why didn't he wait until Vesey was a free agent and sign him for NOTHING!

If Vesey signs with Buffalo (which is an unknown) then the trade makes sense, otherwise Murray blew it.

I'm hoping he signs, but gambling is risky especially when Vesey has said repeatedly he wants to test free agency and see what is out there. Why didn't Murray just wait?

Edited by PotentPowerPlay22

It's almost insidious that Jack is on the same summer league team as Vesey. How could anybody watch Jack skate regularly and NOT want to be his full time winger? Especially when the team has spent a 3rd rounder on your rights. I don't think I've ever seen negotiating rights go for higher than a 5th before.

Peter Donatelli, who represents Jimmy Vesey, had this to say about the Buffalo Sabres acquiring the rights of his client from the Nashville Predators: "In our opinion, the only thing that has happened is now the Sabres have stepped into the shoes of Nashville for exclusive rights [to negotiate] until Aug. 15. However, at this time, it doesn't change Jimmy Vesey's intention to become a free agent on Aug. 15."

I'm pretty sure I heard Mike Schopp's Weiner deflate after he read this. He was certain the trade meant the Sabres would sign him. Even the most optimistic poster is reserving judgment until this gets done.. He really showed his unfamiliarity with Vessey's situation which is frustrating from the team's flagship station.

Today, the winner is Nashville because they literally got a 3rd round pick for nothing. Vesey wasn't going to sign for them. Good move by Poile.

Tim Murray is gambling here. Maybe he figures a 3rd rounder is worth talking to Vesey before anyone else. He gains a few weeks to convince him otherwise why didn't he wait until Vesey was a free agent and sign him for NOTHING!

If Vesey signs with Buffalo (which is an unknown) then the trade makes sense, otherwise Murray blew it.

I'm hoping he signs, but gambling is risky especially when Vesey has said repeatedly he wants to test free agency and see what is out there. Why didn't Murray just wait?

We have so many 3rd round picks this year, using 1 to gamble is perfectly reasonable even if Vesey does not sign. Murray blew nothing. 

There is no blowing it when you have 22 picks in the next two drafts.. You can't sign all of them.

There is no premium,he can only receive the max level entry contract...from us or any other team.

Reason 3,264 I'm not a GM/Agent. Same apply after he's an UFA? I'm guessing yes. I will now narrow the decision to opportunity and geography. I've reached the point where each of you were already.

He either signs before Friday or he doesn't sign at all. The money is the same for everyone. From Vesey's pov he isn't going anywhere where is not in the NHL lineup opening night. From the Sabres pov, I would think they want him in dev camp on July 6, if for no other reason than to gauge where he stacks up against the rest of the prospect pool. I think the only thing Vesey gains by waiting until Aug is to see if a cup favorite can afford him and has room for him. Tampa? I think no. Pittsburgh? not likely. Washington? Maybe. Kings? Probably if they don't sign some of their ufas...Chicago? Who knows what Bowman is capable of. The landscape will clear over the weekend and a bit more by July 4th. After that it will be clear what his options are. If he didn't sign with a cup contender (Preds) who guaranteed a top six role and would be willing to burn a year of his ELC, I really don't see any advantage to UFA status. If he really wants to play with Jack. Sign and be done with it.

Edited by 3putt

Reason 3,264 I'm not a GM/Agent. Same apply after he's an UFA? I'm guessing yes. I will now narrow the decision to opportunity and geography. I've reached the point where each of you were already.

Same what apply?  Once he becomes a actual UFA (post entry level contract) he can sign for any amount he wants. 

Edited by LGR4GM

He will step in right away I think, cause he's already 23.

I think our second line next year is:

Vesey - Eichel - Reinhart

It moved.

ha What if the Sabres have....

Kane- Stamkos - O'Reilly 

Vesey- Eichel- Reinhart

This is amazing, went out for dinner and turned my cell phone off and came back to this news!  #YES!  Vesey to Buffalo, make it happen!  This is our extra 1st lost in the draft last year potentially!  

Kane-O'Reilly-_______

Vesey-Eichel-Reinhart

Wow, this is just so exciting!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.