The Great Sabrespace Draft Meetup - Big Ditch Brewery ~5-5:30

TrueBlueGED

Edit: The spot is Big Ditch Brewery, the time is around 5-5:30. Stay for the whole draft, pass through on your way to the draft, see if 11 is capable of staying awake past 9pm, whatever! 

I met a few here at the RIT analytics conference, and it was fun. We should do it again. Posting this now so people have ample time to make arrangements if necessary.

I think we should try to have a get together for the draft if for no better reason than to squeeze the inevitable Toronto fans out of local establishments. I'm sure some are going to try to get tickets (I know I will), but I still think it would be cool to meet up before the draft, and those without tickets can hang during. I'm happy to try to organize the whole thing and get reservations or whatever (it'll be warm, could do worse than "tailgating" at Canalside...assuming they get some video monitors outside the arena), and am open to suggestions as to location. My only inclination is to try to get someplace convenient to get to the arena so those who have tickets don't have to go out of their way.

What say you?

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I would love to do this. I am far too intimidated to follow through. 

Why?  We're all hockey geeks.  I've met people here in the following ways:

(1)  One, through my sis, not kidding.  He was a friend of hers and we joined TSR (precursor to SS) at about the same time.

(2)  Tom Webster hosted a thing at a bar in Depew one year and a bunch of us went, that was awkward but neat.

(2.5) Totally by accident, freeman and I were in the same bar a few years ago.

(3)  Ink and Taro convinced me to go to an Amerks game and meet them, which I did, and then white-knuckled it the whole way home through a snowstorm.

(4) biodork and her boyfriend met up with me before a game.

(5)  biodork and her friend (female) met up with me before a game and then after the game, and my friend was an ######.

(6) ink, d4rk, Josie, Taro, weave, biodork, me at an Amerks game last year.  This time, I was smart enough to get a hotel room.

(7) Taro and his son at Washington Square Pub (?) last year.

Am I missing any?  If so, sorry!

EDIT on No. 6:  We also all had dinner before and drinks after.  It was a really great time.  Amazing people.  Just really really great people.  And I got to ride shotgun in Ink's Cadillac.

Edited by Eleven

This requires an explanation

I'll be in Ecuador, I put something up in the natural disasters thread, but that's not a very frequented thread. Doing medical mission work for victims of the quake and other underserved areas, using a cloud based EMR, and no Internet or phone, very little running water and only 2-3 hours of electricity per night, generator based.

IIRC he's going to El Salvador to help the earthquake victims.

El Salvador, Ecuador.... Tomato tomaato

I am very excited about this, but if the draft falls during the time I'm gone, I will still be sad.

I'll have to miss it. Again.

I keep missing these effing board meet ups!

And Randall, don't be intimidated.  You have a bed as a guest in my house any time.  (I am dead serious) So if you wanna go hiking in and around the southern tier this Summer (specifically around abouts Ithaca), you know who to call.

I'll be in Ecuador, I put something up in the natural disasters thread, but that's not a very frequented thread. Doing medical mission work for victims of the quake and other underserved areas, using a cloud based EMR, and no Internet or phone, very little running water and only 2-3 hours of electricity per night, generator based.

I am very excited about this, but if the draft falls during the time I'm gone, I will still be sad.

It's in late June.  You'll be back.

PS:  Sorry I got the country wrong!  

Edited by Eleven

And Randall, don't be intimidated. You have a bed as a guest in my house any time. (I am dead serious) So if you wanna go hiking in and around the southern tier this Summer (specifically around abouts Ithaca), you know who to call.

Not a bad offer right there. Good man

Great stuff! Utilizing your skills in an area that needs them the most.

Pffft, you can't possibly be more of an awkward dork than I am :P

You have no idea, True. :lol:

Why?  We're all hockey geeks. 

Because you're all wise adults with things like PhDs and houses and I'm still a kid with no idea how to life :P 

And Randall, don't be intimidated.  You have a bed as a guest in my house any time.  (I am dead serious) So if you wanna go hiking in and around the southern tier this Summer (specifically around abouts Ithaca), you know who to call.

Thanks qwk, one of these times I'm going to be able to take you up on something. I graduate this fall and have an 8 month break before I start grad school, so there will be time.

This is inspiring, best of luck!

Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated guys.

And Randall, we were all there once, this board is full of diversity and that's what makes it great. Don't let PhD and other pieces of paper worry you, most professionals I work with are good people, sure you get the occasional cocky ego maniac. We all love the Sabres, we all hate Boston and Toronto(I think). Hell I remember playing hackey sack and smoking herb all the time in high school, half the people I know from those days still don't believe I ended up in my profession lol.

You have no idea, True. :lol:

Because you're all wise adults with things like PhDs and houses and I'm still a kid with no idea how to life :P

Thanks qwk, one of these times I'm going to be able to take you up on something. I graduate this fall and have an 8 month break before I start grad school, so there will be time.

This is inspiring, best of luck!

We're the ones who are envious.  Believe me.

Because you're all wise "adults" with things like PhDs and houses and I'm still a kid with no idea how to life :P

FIFY.

Why?  We're all hockey geeks.  I've met people here in the following ways:

(2.5) Totally by accident, freeman and I were in the same bar a few years ago.

This one is intriguing. How did SabreSpace come up?

FIFY.

This one is intriguing. How did SabreSpace come up?

I'm not sure I'm remembering all the details, but I think he and I met because we share the same profession and I overheard him talking about it.  Then he told me his name and the fact that he was in town for a Bills and Sabres weekend and I think it all came together from there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.