What I do to reduce my environmental footprint...

SDS

I think this is partly the problem that I see among people when they talk about climate change. 

Here is the only thing about which I am confident when it comes to the subject: I have no clue what the answers are. 100% totally, fully confident that I do not and cannot know.

As far as the scientists go? I think they have a much better shot at knowing. But they're just taking an educated guess as well. They could be wrong. And if past is prologue, they very well may be wrong in one or more material respects. All of them, in fact. Like, every scientist who's taken a position on the subject could be very wrong about several key issues.

Now. I can endorse a given view of the matter over another. But the idea that I could be persuaded to take another view by someone who, like me, has no way of actually knowing anything about this issue? That's not a pursuit that interests me.

What it all boils down to for me is common sense: if human beings have introduced increasingly high levels of greenhouse gases while at the same time denuding forests since the beginning of the industrial revolution, how can we not be a contributing factor? We are. Period. We are part of nature and everything in it impacts everything else to some degree, especially in a small, enclosed ecosphere. 

Special interests seek to obfuscate the argument by throwing endless amounts of crap against the wall in the hopes of protecting those interests. I get that, too. But their lack of custodial conscience bothers the ever loving phuck out of me. 

I also believe that we, as a species, are past the point of no return; the human race will be severely impacted by these changes. The earth will simply continue to evolve as it always has but you can't impact its environment without impacting the life forms that share it. Also period.  

I'll drop it now, because like everything else in the public discourse, there has to be us against them mentality where every argument has to be drawn along partisan political lines when that's not the point. And it's nauseating. 

What it all boils down to for me is common sense

With respect: Common sense really has no place in the matter. The scientific method does, though. And even that -- even when wielded in excruciatingly mind numbing fashion over the course of decades by people with tons of training and learning -- will yield only hypotheses.

But you're right that it's not worth debating as between us: We appear to have very different estimations or appraisals of our respective abilities to know and understand things that are extremely complicated in nature.

With respect: Common sense really has no place in the matter. The scientific method does, though. And even that -- even when wielded in excruciatingly mind numbing fashion over the course of decades by people with tons of training and learning -- will yield only hypotheses.

But you're right that it's not worth debating as between us: We appear to have very different estimations or appraisals of our respective abilities to know and understand things that are extremely complicated in nature.

I'm not advocating that the scientists who study it rely on common sense, although that is a large part of the scientific method and shouldn't be pooh-poohed and dismissed out of hand. Science is an evolving methodology but that doesn't mean we should wait until all the answers are in. The evidence gathered in search of better answers serves to inform in the meantime. I happen to agree with the vast majority of scholars who say the paradigm regarding climate study has already shifted over the last 40 years. 

I'm saying that when it comes to whether or not we should believe that human beings have and continue to contribute to the problem of increased greenhouse gases in he atmosphere, common sense should inform the opinion. 

• 2 months later...

I would like to take care of what He gave us for as long as possible. I think that's reasonable.

Related, six-pack rings made of brewing byproduct that fish can eat:http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/saltwater-brewery-edible-six-pack-rings-beer-plastic-marine-life_us_573b796ce4b0ef86171c5fe4?utm_hp_ref=whats-working&

That's awesome! If all drink makers did that the price would come down

awesome! Lol, my co-workers were clucking in disbelief that I brought frozen peas to work and microwaved them. They would have a melt down if I had those!

So, I added two new windows to my house facing south to, in part, collect the sun light. Also for the view and to let in more air. Love opening up the house. The sun is still pretty high up in the southern sky right now but already it's starting to bend lower each day the added sun is adding so much heat! I need to block it out on sunny days now but when the autumn and winter are here on sunny days this is going to add so much warmth free of charge to the house.

• 1 year later...

So I didn't bring lunch today, and it's way too gross outside to leave the building.  I called and ordered a shrimp Caesar salad for takeout from the hotel restaurant downstairs.

What I received was more of a salad-making kit--in four plastic containers:

Container 1:  Romaine lettuce (not even cut or shredded) and parmesan cheese.

Container 2:  3 pieces of shrimp.

Container 3:  Anchovies.

Container 4:  Dressing.

The containers aren't the sturdy reusable kind.

WTF?

So I didn't bring lunch today, and it's way too gross outside to leave the building.  I called and ordered a shrimp Caesar salad for takeout from the hotel restaurant downstairs.

What I received was more of a salad-making kit--in four plastic containers:

Container 1:  Romaine lettuce (not even cut or shredded) and parmesan cheese.

Container 2:  3 pieces of shrimp.

Container 3:  Anchovies.

Container 4:  Dressing.

The containers aren't the sturdy reusable kind.

WTF?

I would assume because if they put all that together, by the time it gets to you, it’s a soaked lettuce with fish slime salad.

Makes sense, except for the lettuce not being cut:

Container 1:  Cold stuff.

Container 2:  Cooked stuff.  If it's hot you don't want it to sit on the lettuce and wilt it.

Container 3:  Who in the actual F likes anchovies?  You better keep those separate.

Container 4:  A lot of people who are picky about their dressing and how much is put on, so better to let them do it themselves.

In a regular restaurant setting, the server would make sure they took the order with all the choices clearly stated to get it all on one plate (or maybe a plate and dressing cup).  But even then, errors happen.  If you're in the restaurant, the server takes care of it pretty quickly.  If it's a to go order, fixing an error is much, much more problematic.  To the hotel I'm sure there's a cost proposition involved, and the cost of a couple of extra containers is much less than the cost of having to deliver a whole new salad if the first one gets messed up.

Edited by Doohickie

I would assume because if they put all that together, by the time it gets to you, it’s a soaked lettuce with fish slime salad.

Makes sense, except for the lettuce not being cut:

Container 1:  Cold stuff.

Container 2:  Cooked stuff.  If it's hot you don't want it to sit on the lettuce and wilt it.

Container 3:  Who in the actual F likes anchovies?  You better keep those separate.

Container 4:  A lot of people who are picky about their dressing and how much is put on, so better to let them do it themselves.

In a regular restaurant setting, the server would make sure they took the order with all the choices clearly stated to get it all on one plate (or maybe a plate and dressing cup).  But even then, errors happen.  If you're in the restaurant, the server takes care of it pretty quickly.  If it's a to go order, fixing an error is much, much more problematic.  To the hotel I'm sure there's a cost proposition involved, and the cost of a couple of extra containers is much less than the cost of having to deliver a whole new salad if the first one gets messed up.

A Caesar salad comes with anchovies by default.  It's part of what makes it a Caesar salad.  You could ask for them to be omitted, I guess.

Dressing is normally on the side for a takeout salad.  Agreed.

As for the rest of it, we're talking about a salad sitting for two or three minutes.  Tell me you haven't seen a salad in a deli case with the protein in the same container.  Come on.

A Caesar salad comes with anchovies by default.  It's part of what makes it a Caesar salad.  You could ask for them to be omitted, I guess.

I've never seen anchovies offered on a Caesar salad.  Ever.

From Wikipedia:

A Caesar salad is a salad of romaine lettuce and croutons dressed with parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and black pepper. It is traditionally prepared tableside.[1]

I've never seen anchovies offered on a Caesar salad.  Ever.

From Wikipedia:

A Caesar salad is a salad of romaine lettuce and croutons dressed with parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and black pepper. It is traditionally prepared tableside.[1]

The credentials for making entries onto Wikipedia are much less stringent than those one must clear to be able to post on this forum...

Suffice it to say, it agrees with pretty much everything else out there.  Even one of the people who wrote a history on it and prefers it with anchovies agrees that they were not part of the original recipe.

And I added the Wiki quote more to back up my own experience as more universal and not anecdotal, than to say it's authoritative.

Edited by Doohickie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.