What I do to reduce my environmental footprint...

SDS

Huh.  I Dug a little deeper and this anchovy vs. no anchovy thing is apparently a... thing.  I suppose i shall declare myself schooled and shut my fat mouth.  :huh:

I didn't even know it was an option until Eleven's post above.

My guess is that it's a snooty thing added by better restaurants to differentiate their Caesar salad from the one you get at Applebee's.

I have never seen one on a menu without anchovies until just now, when I checked La Nova (a pizzeria--not snooty).  Even it says anchovies upon request.  I do acknowledge your wikipedia article, though.

Back to the fact that it took FOUR containers to serve a salad....

Edited by Eleven

I have never seen one on a menu without anchovies until just now, when I checked La Nova (a pizzeria--not snooty).  Even it says anchovies upon request.  I do acknowledge your wikipedia article, though.

Back to the fact that it took FOUR containers to serve a salad....

Anchovy preferences notwithstanding, I think my post up top pretty much covered it:  Keep the hot and cool separated, and put the stuff people might complain about (the anchovies and dressing) on the side.

And one more thing:  Going back to some of that reading I did on Caesar salad origins, the uncut lettuce is actually authentic to the salad's roots, even if it's uncommon today.

Oh, and another one more thing:  Maybe the prevalence of anchovies in the Buffalo area relates back to use as a pizza topping.  They're on hand, they're snooty, and we got them, so we may as well flaunt them.

I've never seen anchovies offered on a Caesar salad.  Ever.

From Wikipedia:

A Caesar salad is a salad of romaine lettuce and croutons dressed with parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and black pepper. It is traditionally prepared tableside.[1]

Anchovies are a main ingredient in worchestershire sauce so even if a Caesar salad doesn't use actual anchovies it will still contain anchovies due to the worcestershire sauce.

Anchovies are a main ingredient in worchestershire sauce so even if a Caesar salad doesn't use actual anchovies it will still contain anchovies due to the worcestershire sauce.

But back to the original post on the subject- big difference between having anchovies as an ingredient in a prepared sauce that consists of *part* of the salad dressing, and a tub of anchovies.

If you had told me when I got up this morning that I'd be googling the ingredients of Worcestershire sauce by 3:00 pm, I would have gone back to bed.

:flirt:

But back to the original post on the subject- big difference between having anchovies as an ingredient in a prepared sauce that consists of *part* of the salad dressing, and a tub of anchovies.

:flirt:

I agree. I can't stand actual anchovies but I love Worcestershire sauce and Caesar salad dressing.

Drive very carefully and at the speed limit.  I drive a ton for work (about 200,000 miles in the past 5 years for work) and I keep accurate records of my fuel economy (filling up tank, dividing miles by gallons, etc), and there is a massive difference in highway driving between 55 mph to 65 mph to 75 mph.  A similar trip at 75 mph might net me 28 mpg on the highway...it goes to about 30 or 31mpg  at 65 mph, and up to close to 35mpg  at 55mph.

I kept detailed records and posted my results (over several round trips in similar conditions of hundreds of miles) on another automobile forum, but the difference for every MPH you drive on the highway over 55mph is pretty drastic.

Drive very carefully and at the speed limit.  I drive a ton for work (about 200,000 miles in the past 5 years for work) and I keep accurate records of my fuel economy (filling up tank, dividing miles by gallons, etc), and there is a massive difference in highway driving between 55 mph to 65 mph to 75 mph.  A similar trip at 75 mph might net me 28 mpg on the highway...it goes to about 30 or 31mpg  at 65 mph, and up to close to 35mpg  at 55mph.

I kept detailed records and posted my results (over several round trips in similar conditions of hundreds of miles) on another automobile forum, but the difference for every MPH you drive on the highway over 55mph is pretty drastic.

Very true; I'm no mechanical engineer, but I do know that the force to propel a body through a fluid (air, in the case) goes up exponentially with velocity. I've read that for a Bugatti Veyron only requires around 300 HP to go 200 MPH. It requires 1000 HP to hit 250. There's an "even more" version that makes roughly 1200 HP, but that only buys another 15 MPH of top speed.

Based on your numbers, it looks like it's a 20% increase in power between 55 and 75. That's a bunch!

• 9 months later...

Hey, remember this thread!?

I was just looking at my electric bill. I pay on a budget plan and I'm actually way under for the year! Yay! And my budget amount per month is actually going to go down about $12, so I got that going for me. Then I took a look at the gas bill, and I've actually used significantly less gas each month for the past 7 months than I did the year before. 

I don't feel like I'm doing anything differently. My house didn't magically become more energy efficient. The temperature hasn't had any significant change from last year. Did my kid learn how to shut things off? Anyway, I'll take the savings. And a little environmental responsibility at home might make up for the damage I do in my car.

10 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Hey, remember this thread!?

I was just looking at my electric bill. I pay on a budget plan and I'm actually way under for the year! Yay! And my budget amount per month is actually going to go down about $12, so I got that going for me. Then I took a look at the gas bill, and I've actually used significantly less gas each month for the past 7 months than I did the year before. 

I don't feel like I'm doing anything differently. My house didn't magically become more energy efficient. The temperature hasn't had any significant change from last year. Did my kid learn how to shut things off? Anyway, I'll take the savings. And a little environmental responsibility at home might make up for the damage I do in my car.

Did you replace any major appliances? Sometimes replacing an old fridge/freezer or things like TV's, toaster ovens, computers, etc. with newer more energy efficient models can add up on a monthly basis.

Just now, Alkoholist said:

Did you replace any major appliances? Sometimes replacing an old fridge/freezer or things like TV's, toaster ovens, computers, etc. with newer more energy efficient models can add up on a monthly basis.

Absolutely nothing! I really can't figure it out. No vacations where the house wasn't in use either. I am going to pay closer attention to the bills and see if we can keep the trend going though.

Just now, ubkev said:

Absolutely nothing! I really can't figure it out. No vacations where the house wasn't in use either. I am going to pay closer attention to the bills and see if we can keep the trend going though.

Damn, then I'm not sure what. Either the family is learning to turn off lights and gadgets when not in use or maybe you're using the same number of watts and the utility company dropped the price per Kilowatt hour or something along those lines. Either way, it sounds like one of those good problems.

37 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

Damn, then I'm not sure what. Either the family is learning to turn off lights and gadgets when not in use or maybe you're using the same number of watts and the utility company dropped the price per Kilowatt hour or something along those lines. Either way, it sounds like one of those good problems.

Definitely not complaining!

'I have on my mortorcycle jacket, but am walking all the time' ... Joe Strummer.

+++++

Not his best work on that album.  He and Simmon later disowned it as a Clash album.  I don't even own a copy, but here and there on it are some real gems.

The lyrics on that particular tune, though, are top notch Strummer.

Edited by N S
explanation for clarity, sort of ...

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

Did the old neighbors running extension cords from your outlets move away?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.