[OT] Wireless Router Advice

TrueBlueGED

I'm just trying to fit in with an off topic tech thread!

Really though, my current router is ancient (I bought it back when wireless-n was still in beta...) and appears to be on its way out, randomly dropping signal and requiring a reset nearly every week. I'm at least semi-literate on this stuff, but are there any must-have features I should look for? My budget is in the $120 range and I'll have the following connected at any given time: FireTV, streaming-capable blu-ray player, desktop, laptop, 1-5 cell phones depending on guests, printer. Now, not all of this stuff is going to be trying to stream HD video at the same time or anything, and my lousy 30 gbit Time Warner service would choke anyway.

Things I'm looking at and trying to determine the value of:

Beamforming

Intelligent/advanced QoS

Smartphone app

Wireless-AC speed

Simultaneous dual-band

I'm currently looking at the following models, but am perfectly open to any feedback/suggestions:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PDLRHFW/ref=psdc_300189_t2_B00J8NCVX4

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0143HBZMW?psc=1

And if you don't help me, I'll add you to We've's list.

I'm interested in this topic too. My current router is about 5 years old and needs to be rebooted weekly. (how do I know of its the router or the modem? Was that a stupid question?)

This dropping the WiFi thing started happening about 3 weeks ago and is starting to get annoying.

I currently have a Netgear N300 Wireless N Router WRN2000. I think it cost around $40 at the time, 2010-2011ish. 

Edited by ubkev

All I know is that I flash DDWRT onto anything I buy. The last few I've had have been linksys but I might try something different next time. Other companies have really come a long way since linksys was the only game in town.

Are you still running the Time Warner supplied modem? If you are you may want to consider purchasing your own.

I may need an associate when time is nigh.

...how long is your list? :lol:

All I know is that I flash DDWRT onto anything I buy. The last few I've had have been linksys but I might try something different next time. Other companies have really come a long way since linksys was the only game in town.

Are you still running the Time Warner supplied modem? If you are you may want to consider purchasing your own.

Nah, I bought my own many years ago. I can't imagine why anyone would rent unless they legitimately don't know they can buy their own.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

...how long is your list? :lol:

Nah, I bought my own many years ago. I can't imagine why anyone would rent unless they legitimately don't know they can buy their own.

I didn't know/think about that for the longest time and then I looked at my bill and it turns out that my Internet company doesn't charge me for the modem.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.