Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

I hope the DA put himself under federal protective custody, because Philly's mayor and police union chief are probably going to try to kill him.

That's funny stuff.

DA's office is strenuously denying the report, btw.

They're essentially saying there's nothing to report, yet.

This sort of thing hurts because it has the sting of truth:

User Actions
  Follow
KQwOX4pN_bigger.jpgTim Graham@ByTimGraham

NFC GM on Bills: "They have a lot to envy, but their salary-cap situation is the worst in the NFL. ... It's criminal mismanagement."

I read that, and it resonates with me because I had been wondering of late: How in the funk did the Bills become so cap-strapped and -challenged without being good?!

This sort of thing hurts because it has the sting of truth:

45]

User Actions FollowKQwOX4pN_bigger.jpgTim Graham@ByTimGraham

NFC GM on Bills: "They have a lot to envy, but their salary-cap situation is the worst in the NFL. ... It's criminal mismanagement."

I read that, and it resonates with me because I had been wondering of late: How in the funk did the Bills become so cap-strapped and -challenged without being good?!

But but but, everyone tells me the NFL salary cap is meaningless!

Edit: I think the Saints' cap is pretty clearly in worse space. But that's a fairly low bar to jump.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

People are chirping Graham re Saints.

Thing is, they have had an elite QB and won a SB.

Problem is, Bills' situation isn't really that bad and those reporting on it know it. Three moves clears up over $20M without mortgaging the future. The Saints are more the exception then the rule in recent years. Very few teams have to cut players strictly because of cap restraints. The Bills will have plenty of room to build the team they think can compete for the division. We can debate whether they are right although I have no desire to on February 25th, but hte salary cap will not be a hindrance.

Bills' situation isn't really that bad and those reporting on it know it.  . . . We can debate whether they are right although I have no desire to on February 25th, but the salary cap will not be a hindrance.

Well, Graham was quoting an NFC GM. Maybe the GM doesn't know better.

And I understand the skepticism when it comes to local reporters. Bucky's been on a rampage of late on that topic, it would appear.

I hope you're right about the cap not being a hindrance. I'm genuinely not so sure.

+++

Thanks for the perspective, T Web.

The Buffalo Rumblings blog appears to take a very dim view of the cap-bashing from the BN writers. If you gloss their write-ups, it does appear that all is pretty well in hand. Actually sounds like the team can free up more than $20M for the coming season, and have the rolled-over ~$4M from last season.

Here's an excerpt from the report on the plans to restructure Graham and McElvin (and possibly release one of them):

The Bills are currently over the projected 2016 salary cap but these two moves would save them money. Other likely moves include restructuring Charles Clay's contract by converting a roster bonus to a signing bonus and the release of defensive end Mario Williams. All these moves would give the Bills enough money to re-sign key free agents Cordy Glenn and Richie Incognito as well as work out long-term deals with Stephon Gilmore and possibly Tyrod Taylor.

Edited by That Aud Smell

And I understand the skepticism when it comes to local reporters. Bucky's been on a rampage of late on that topic, it would appear.

I hope you're right about the cap not being a hindrance. I'm genuinely not so sure.

That NFC GM doesn't know what he is talking about. That's not uncommon though, as most GMs aren't cap managers for their own teams, let alone others and intimant details of another team's cap would be foreign. For instance, has this GM compared the number of players under contract that currently count against our cap vs. other teams? Does he have knowledge of how those current contracts might be restructured to easily facilitate cap room? Which players might be let go?

GO BILLS!!!

What Graham later added was that the GM expressed that the team had some pretty enviable talent and was competetive but he didn't understand how they had so little cap room. Unless he studied the cap implications of every contract they had he wouldn't know how easy it was or wasn't to negotiate out of,

What Graham later added was that the GM expressed that the team had some pretty enviable talent and was competetive but he didn't understand how they had so little cap room. Unless he studied the cap implications of every contract they had he wouldn't know how easy it was or wasn't to negotiate out of,

what're the odds that GM was (1) somewhat talking out of his arse and/or (2) prompted to give that quote by graham's line of questions?

Doug Whaley said the Bills' salary cap issues are a "good problem to have" because it means they have a lot of good players.

Problem is, Bills' situation isn't really that bad and those reporting on it know it. Three moves clears up over $20M without mortgaging the future.

I disagree with this part entirely. That's just not how it works, in my opinion. They have to cut talent to create space to re-sign a few guys. So they have to create MORE holes on the roster in order to ensure other holes aren't created.

Edit: I think the Saints' cap is pretty clearly in worse space. But that's a fairly low bar to jump.

The Saints also have a super QB under contract. That's the big difference here.

Edited by Hoss

I disagree with this part entirely. That's just not how it works, in my opinion. They have to cut talent to create space to re-sign a few guys. So they have to create MORE holes on the roster in order to ensure other holes aren't created.

So, who're they going to have to cut? Other than Mario, which I've accepted as a given and even helpful move. I read that they're re-working some combination of Clay, Graham, and McElvin in order to free up ~$20M+ and are rolling over ~$4M from this past season - yielding $25M+ in cap space to work with for next season.

Not enough?

Edited by That Aud Smell

So, who're they going to have to cut? Other than Mario, which I've accepted as a given and even helpful move. I read that they're re-working some combination of Clay, Graham, and McElvin in order to free up ~$20M+ and are rolling over ~$4M from this past season - yielding $25M+ in cap space to work with for next season.

Not enough?

Exactly, only really have to cut Mario and he would have been gone with or without salary cap issues.

Clay restructured his contract

http://m.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Charles-Clay-restructures-contract-with-Bills/db510cd8-2171-4d17-a18b-ba0ca30011f6

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 43s44 seconds ago

The #Bills have also announced that Leodis McKelvin and Corey Graham could have restructured deals, too.

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.