GDT: Detroit @ Buffalo, 1:00 pm est, 1/2/2015

WildCard

The Buffalo Sabres will play host to division rivals the Detroit Red Wings Saturday in a little bit of afternoon delight to kick off the new year. Buffalo has had a tough time of it of late, losing 3 straight including 2 against the leagues best team in the Caps. Most recently, Buffalo's shot barrage method against the Islanders yielded a 2-1 loss, as Buffalo continued to struggle offensively, scoring 3 goals in the last 3 games combined. The return and subsequent loss of Tyler Ennis proved little difference in the Sabres scoring, and one starts to wonder just how valuable Pysyk is, and how much longer Reinhart stays with ROR.

The Red Wings find themselves in a similar struggle. Losers of 3 straight, Detroit will look to rebound from a 5-2 loss against Pittsburgh last Thursday, a contest that saw Mrazek go 32/36. The Wings are also struggling to find the right line combinations, and many are starting to question rookie coach Blashill's combinations. Blashill's team find themselves at 43 points for the 2nd WC spot, a 1 point lead ahead of Ottawa

The Red Wings may be without Jurco (UBI), and Buffalo will miss Pysyk and Ennis (maybe). Look for Mrazek to get the start.

Game Preview 

STATS:
All Stats Buffalo @ Detroit (5-4 SO loss) 
All Stats Buffalo @ Detroit (2-1 win)
All Team Rankings
Team Comparison Chart

Friday Practice Report

"We play them hard," Gionta said. "There are a few guys up front that can really make you pay with turnovers in the neutral zone. I think we've got to play them the same way we've been playing the last couple games – when we're a better team we're getting pucks in behind their D, were pushing that forecheck and we're getting in-zone time

Buffalo: 
Forwards:

88 Jamie McGinn – 90 Ryan O’Reilly – 23 Sam Reinhart

28 Zemgus Girgensons – 15 Jack Eichel – 12 Brian Gionta

9 Evander Kane – 22 Johan Larsson –  26 Matt Moulson

44 Nicolas Deslauriers – 17 David Legwand – 82 Marcus Foligno

Defense:

Josh Gorges – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen

25 Carlo Colaiacovo – 47 Zach Bogosian

Mike Weber – 46 Cody Franson

Johnsons:
31 Chad Johnson
35  Linus Ullmark
40 Robin Lehner

635505640292279371-SMG-20141102-sal-ah3-

###### Bettman!!!!! Punishing us by making us play all these good teams!!!! It seems like we've played nothing but good teams all season!!!! But once we get through this stretch of playing good teams the Buffalo Sabres will be fine!!

Our easiest stretch of the season was Edmonton, Calgary Vancouver.

It was also our worst hockey.

I'll say it: I think the Sabres played pretty GD well in all 3 of their losses vs the Caps and Isles. I also think we saw the best out of Eichel and Zemgus we've seen all year. I also saw Reino make an extremely sweet pass vs the Isles that made me think he has star potential. And Risto increasingly appears to have the same potential.

So I'm not unhappy with this team and I'm psyched to have another game to watch.

Great GDT, as usual, WC.

Game on!

Saw on social media that Pysyk is back at practice.

Yes, but they want him to get four or five practices in before deciding on a return date to the lineup

Especially if the Wings had to fly in this morning, per league holiday travel rules. But I don't know if those rules apply to New Year's Day.

Nope just Christmas and Arbor Day

Getting the first goal will be huge for two teams working on bad losing streaks

I hope Toyota keeps running their Holiday commercials forever just because Jan has great legs.

Toyota Jane >>> AT&T girl

Well the Wings are reading Eichel's zone entries like a book

Detroit's aggressive penalty killing has us panicking

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.