Payroll

Strow

I keep seeing a number of 27-29 million for this season, what is the current payroll for the team now? I can still see the sabres making at least one more move before the season starts but not if they are near that level.

So then we can forget about the rest of the FA out there. Would have been nice to get Sabre killer Bonda for cheap since no one else is jumping to get him. Well we are still one or two pieces of the puzzle from the playoffs I feel.

So then we can forget about the rest of the FA out there. Would have been nice to get Sabre killer Bonda for cheap since no one else is jumping to get him. Well we are still one or two pieces of the puzzle from the playoffs I feel.

What is Bondra's status? Is he healthy?

He would be a perfect fit. Not only would he stop scoreing 20 goals a year against the Sabres but he would also be great for Vanek. The Sabres don't have a "goal scorer" who can help the kid out. It would be nice to have a mentor for the kid. Who going to teach him to score in the NHL? Look at all the talent and teachers they are surrounding Crosby with in Pittsburgh. It would be great if Vanek had someone to turn to.

What is Bondra's status? Is he healthy?

He would be a perfect fit. Not only would he stop scoreing 20 goals a year against the Sabres but he would also be great for Vanek. The Sabres don't have a "goal scorer" who can help the kid out. It would be nice to have a mentor for the kid. Who going to teach him to score in the NHL? Look at all the talent and teachers they are surrounding Crosby with in Pittsburgh. It would be great if Vanek had someone to turn to.

Yeah, and seeing as Bondra is old enough to be Vanek's father, he could take him on days out hunting and fishing - be a real father figure! :lol:

Bondra has 105 points in the last two seasons.

Briere has 123

Drury has 106

You forgot to mention that Bondra is also two years older than the start of his last season too... ;)

Bondra in his prime could have been a great player for the Sabres. Now, he's aging, slower and less productive - perfect Ranger material, not Sabres.

I'd rather the Sabres went with what they've got than sign an old free agent who isn't exactly getting his hand snapped off for a signature.

I'm sure "The End Of The World Is Nigh"67 thinks differently though. :P

You forgot to mention that Bondra is also two years older than the start of his last season too...  ;)

Bondra in his prime could have been a great player for the Sabres.  Now, he's aging, slower and less productive - perfect Ranger material, not Sabres.

I'd rather the Sabres went with what they've got than sign an old free agent who isn't exactly getting his hand snapped off for a signature.

I'm sure "The End Of The World Is Nigh"67 thinks differently though.  :P

Yes! You must be right. Having Connolly, Pyatt, Peters, Grier makes the team much better then having Bondra. Why would you want a great goal scorer in a league that changed it's rules to promote goal scoring. 'Foil' once again you wisdom shines through.

And just for the record. No one ever in the history of the NHL went into a game worried about stopping Briere or Drury. Even at 37. Bondra carries more of a threat into a game then any Sabre could dream of. But what does it matter. Some fans are so 'Darcy Whipped' that things like the playoffs and Stanley Cup have no meaning. :D

And just for the record. No one ever in the history of the NHL went into a game worried about stopping Briere or Drury. Even at 37. Bondra carries more of a threat into a game then any Sabre could dream of.

So if they are not worrying about Drury or Briere doesn't that make it a good thing? Giving them more space time and freedom than someone other teams may choose to pick out as a threat like Bondra, to mark out the game?

It's great living in the past but yesterdays news isn't going to be tomorrows headlines.

I am far from happy with the way the team is shapping up this season but come on dude. You're a broken record!

Yes! You must be right. Having Connolly, Pyatt, Peters, Grier makes the team much better then having Bondra. Why would you want a great goal scorer in a league that changed it's rules to promote goal scoring. 'Foil' once again you wisdom shines through.

DeLuca67 - your wisdom doesn't shine through either, although what does shine through is your potentially award-winning pessimism with regard to anything Sabres related.

I don't think Regier has done a great job, I've never said that at all, but I don't think he's done a terrible job this off-season either. I happen to think that some of these big free agent contracts are going to bite the teams (who dished them out) right in the butt.

In don't like the way the Peca situation was handled, the Satan situation could have been handled better by both the Sabres and the player himself, Zhitnik was walking no matter what. I like the cautious approach in the potential brave new world of the NHL.

There's as good a chance as any that the face of the NHL has been changed forever with the new rule changes and interference crackdown. Before I get shouted down with all the "They do that every season and it reverts back..." talk - just how many times has it been following a completely wiped out NHL season? None.

Five years ago I'd have said that Bondra would be a great addition to this team, despite reservations about his physical play (lack of) and concerns about his defensive play. The Sabres could use his goalscoring touch and his speed, but I hope that Afinogenov can provide that.

At 37, Bondra is becoming less and less of a threat with each coming season (check his stats out if you think I'm wrong - you love that stuff! ;) ) and unless you spent some time in Eastern Europe last year, you won't be too privy to just how much slower he has become with pretty much a year off hockey.

So if they are not worrying about Drury or Briere doesn't that make it a good thing? Giving them more space time and freedom than someone other teams may choose to pick out as a threat like Bondra, to mark out the game?

It's great living in the past but yesterdays news isn't going to be tomorrows headlines.

I am far from happy with the way the team is shapping up this season but come on dude. You're a broken record!

It's hard to change the tune when the band remains the same.

DeLuca67 - your wisdom doesn't shine through either, although what does shine through is your potentially award-winning pessimism with regard to anything Sabres related.

I don't think Regier has done a great job, I've never said that at all, but I don't think he's done a terrible job this off-season either.  I happen to think that some of these big free agent contracts are going to bite the teams (who dished them out) right in the butt.

In don't like the way the Peca situation was handled, the Satan situation could have been handled better by both the Sabres and the player himself, Zhitnik was walking no matter what.  I like the cautious approach in the potential brave new world of the NHL.

There's as good a chance as any that the face of the NHL has been changed forever with the new rule changes and interference crackdown.  Before I get shouted down with all the "They do that every season and it reverts back..." talk - just how many times has it been following a completely wiped out NHL season?  None.

Five years ago I'd have said that Bondra would be a great addition to this team, despite reservations about his physical play (lack of) and concerns about his defensive play.  The Sabres could use his goalscoring touch and his speed, but I hope that Afinogenov can provide that.

At 37, Bondra is becoming less and less of a threat with each coming season (check his stats out if you think I'm wrong - you love that stuff!  ;)   ) and unless you spent some time in Eastern Europe last year, you won't be too privy to just how much slower he has become with pretty much a year off hockey.

Is it a "cautious approach" or 'Status Quo'.

Many of you are under the impression that at some point the Sabres will strike and land players to put this team into the playoffs. It's not going to happen.

And remember this. Regier himself said the Sabres plan to be a bottom eight revenue team. Which includes playoff revenue. The Sabres can't make the playoffs and still be a bottom eight team. This teams business model is based on missing the playoffs. It may be a bit too much for some to understand. The Sabres will end up making more money through revenue sharing then making the playoffs. :(

As far as Bondra.

Larry Playfair said it best. It's not like they are going to sign him anyway. But I will remind all of his production this year.

I am not a happy Sabre Fan. And seeing the Sabre season ticket numbers I am not the only one. I may make the most noise. But with only 7,500 (equivalents) sold while the rest of the league is over 15,000 (on avg) shows more fans feel how I feel then not. ;)

Archived