GDT: Buffalo @ Washington, 7:00 pm est, 12/30/2015

WildCard

Yoooouuurrrrrr Buffalo Sabres will head on down to Washington D.C. tonight to take on the Capitals in a meeting of familiar foes. The Sabres will look to bounce back from a 2-0 shut-out loss at the hands of the Capitals in Buffalo on Monday night, one in which the Sabres became familiar with Holtby's future Vezina and the best Russian goal-scorer of all time in Alexander Ovechkin. Despite this, the Sabres played a very solid game. Linus Ullmark stood tall, only letting in 2 goals (one of which was a fluke shot of the backboards) and another in which Risto blew his assignment on Ovechkin of all people. The pp needs to start clicking however, as they have been not only blank for the last 6 games, but also have been completely listless as well. 

The Capitals on the other hand, are the hottest and best team in the league right now (feels like I type this a lot whenever we play someone). Washington rides high on a current 8 game win streak, and now leads their division by 9 points (56 overall, Isles have 47). The Caps also lead the league in GA, and are 1 point behind Dallas for the Presidents trophy. Yet we all saw them play against Buffalo, and a game that could have easily went either way. 

Tuesday's practice saw the return of Robin Lehner. I can't find the lines, but I'll just go with last games. The twitter feed says "All at practice", not sure if that includes Pysyk or not. Look for Holtby to start again, and...Ullmark? Johnson in net (per Brawndo) 

Game Preview

STATS:
All Stats Washington @ Buffalo, 1st meeting; 2-0 loss 
(The possession numbers are in Buffalo's favor, we played well)
All Team Rankings
Team Comparison Chart

Tuesday Practice Report

What he's learned, he said, is that simply "getting to the net" isn't always the answer.

"How you go there and where you go is maybe more important than just going there," Bylsma said. "There's rebound areas, the puck goes to certain areas, and if we all go to the one area we're not necessarily going to get the opportunity to be in that area to score goals.

Buffalo: 
Forwards:

88 Jamie McGinn – 90 Ryan O’Reilly – 23 Sam Reinhart

28 Zemgus Girgensons – 15 Jack Eichel – 12 Brian Gionta

9 Evander Kane – 22 Johan Larsson –  63 Tyler Ennis

44 Nicolas Deslauriers – 17 David Legwand – 82 Marcus Foligno

Defense:

Josh Gorges – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen

25 Carlo Colaiacovo – 47 Zach Bogosian

Mike Weber – 46 Cody Franson

Johnsons:

31 Chad Johnson
35  Linus Ullmark
40 Robin Lehner

Washington:

Forwards:

Alex Ovechkin - Nicklas Backstrom - T.J. Oshie

Marcus Johansson - Evgeny Kuznetsov - Justin Williams

Jason Chimera - Jay Beagle - Tom Wilson

Brooks Laich - Zach Sill - Andre Burakovsky

Defense:

Karl Alzner - Matt Niskanen

Dmitry Orlov - Nate Schmidt

Taylor Chorney - Connor Carrick

Goalies:

Braden Holtby

Philipp Grubauer

Injured: Brooks Orpik (lower body), John Carlson (lower body), Michael Latta (upper body)

Scratched: Stanislav Galiev

risto.jpg

Edited by WildCard

Caps call up tough guy Zach Sill from Hershey. Could replace Michael Latta Wednesday night vs. Nicolas Deslauriers per twitter

I don't really get that one.  Tom Wilson is tough enough, and big enough (and willing enough) to answer the bell. Sill is a tomato can.  He couldn't out tough Latta to make the squad.

That's OK.  I'm sure our resident crazy guy won't mind going with Sill.

Caps call up tough guy Zach Sill from Hershey. Could replace Michael Latta Wednesday night vs. Nicolas Deslauriers per twitter

I'll be annoyed if Deslauriers has to fight again tonight.  He threw a legal hit (shoulder to shoulder!) where the Caps player got clipped in the face with his stick as they both fell to the ice.  The Caps got upset so they sent someone to fight him.  Deslauriers beat him up so now the Caps are even more upset.  At some point you had to wonder why the Caps are getting so mad about an opposing player doing normal hockey things.  What would they do if Deslauriers pulled an Ovechkin and hit someone from behind to throw them head-first into the boards?

Also, this would be a great time for literally any other Sabre to drop the gloves.  This feels like shades of Drew Stafford's "We have other guys for that."  If the Caps try to start something with Deslauriers, it'd be great if someone else if one of our other guys decided to punch someone in the head about it.

Caps fans over at RMNB seem pretty pissed off about our game on Monday, saying we were running Holty and Desi should have been kicked out for the hit on Williams. Also think Desi will lose in a fight tonight  :doh: http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2015/12/28/michael-latta-fights-nicolas-deslauriers-tom-wilson-looks-angry-after-dangerous-hit-on-justin-williams/

I'll be annoyed if Deslauriers has to fight again tonight.  He threw a legal hit (shoulder to shoulder!) where the Caps player got clipped in the face with his stick as they both fell to the ice.  The Caps got upset so they sent someone to fight him.  Deslauriers beat him up so now the Caps are even more upset.  At some point you had to wonder why the Caps are getting so mad about an opposing player doing normal hockey things.  What would they do if Deslauriers pulled an Ovechkin and hit someone from behind to throw them head-first into the boards?

Also, this would be a great time for literally any other Sabre to drop the gloves.  This feels like shades of Drew Stafford's "We have other guys for that."  If the Caps try to start something with Deslauriers, it'd be great if someone else if one of our other guys decided to punch someone in the head about it.

I can get behind the sentiment here.  For all of the "team toughness" we've got, De-Lo shouldn't have to bloody his knuckles a 2nd time, not that it would bother him to do so.  This would be a good opportunity to put some "team" on display and see Bogo, or McGinn, or Girgensons show some moxie.

Johnson in net

Girgensons in for Moulson on the PP.

Does Moulson finally sit tonight???

New lines

Lines for Sabres this AM:

McGinn-O'Reilly-Reinhart

Girgensons-Eichel-Gionta

Kane-Larsson-Ennis

Deslauriers-Legwand-Foligno/Moulson

#BUFvsWSH

Like Zemgus on Eichel's Wing, Gionta again not so much

Johnson in net

Girgensons in for Moulson on the PP.

Does Moulson finally sit tonight???

New lines

Lines for Sabres this AM:

McGinn-O'Reilly-Reinhart

Girgensons-Eichel-Gionta

Kane-Larsson-Ennis

Deslauriers-Legwand-Foligno/Moulson

#BUFvsWSH

Like Zemgus on Eichel's Wing, Gionta again not so much

Deslaurier had a few shifts on Eichel-Girgensons wing last game. I'd like to see more of that.

I'll be going tonight and desperately want to see a win. Their crying after Monday's game is a joke. It's not like Deslauriers hit him in the back. Williams fell in an unfortunate way and hit his head. At least Williams' isn't being a bitch about it.

The comment about the goal being karma for Deslauriers actions after the fight is also stupid IMO. Guys get pumped up after fights and try to get the crowd going. 

More from Latta on Deslauriers: 'I would never do that, personally. ... I think he embarrassed himself more than anything.' #CapitalsTalk

I hope they go out and just start leveling people. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.