The Home-ownership Thread

darksabre

Kenmore/North Buffalo is a nice spot to look. Nice, older homes, good neighborhoods, houses are relatively inexpensive. If you're looking to be in the city without being too in the city its a good spot.

Yeah, that's where we've been looking. Took a drive around there a week or so ago. Would be nice for sure- we'll just have to see how it all lines up. 

Kenmore/North Buffalo is a nice spot to look. Nice, older homes, good neighborhoods, houses are relatively inexpensive. If you're looking to be in the city without being too in the city its a good spot.

That's sort of my goal. Near/in the city, but not in the city

I wish Riverside was more convenient. I think it's a cool neighborhood. 

My preference is for something west/south of where I work in Williamsville. Cleve Hill, Cheektowaga/Sloan, Hertel (Kenmore). South Buffalo, NT, are pushing it for me.

I really like Cleve Hill area for buying because it puts us sorta right in the middle of everyone we know, it's close to the air port (which is good for us because of Jo's family), and prices are quite good. I could probably get something that needs some updating below market value there and bring its value up without too much work. 

Our friends are doing this, but I don't think it's for me. If I own a house, I would rather have something smaller that is all to myself. I want to get back to playing saxophone again.  :P 

Hertel you say? We're trying to move somewhere near there. We'll see if I have any luck.

Good call. I know at least two people who had major problems with their loan providers halfway through the process. One of them was a former real estate agent too. Go figure. 

I would say look in Kenmore. Me and my wife really loved the area of North Buffalo (Hertel) but hated the prices and lack of amenities (plowing, parking, etc.).

We bought our house in Kenmore right in the center of the village and have loved it. We are close enough to Delaware & Delaware that we can walk to shops and restaurants we like in the area, and are still a short drive to the main restaurants and bar scene on Hertel.

Plus then you guys could live super close and we could be besties and do all sorts of adventures even though I am just a random guy you kind of know on the internet that is definitely not creepy... :unsure:

I would say look in Kenmore. Me and my wife really loved the area of North Buffalo (Hertel) but hated the prices and lack of amenities (plowing, parking, etc.).

We bought our house in Kenmore right in the center of the village and have loved it. We are close enough to Delaware & Delaware that we can walk to shops and restaurants we like in the area, and are still a short drive to the main restaurants and bar scene on Hertel.

Plus then you guys could live super close and we could be besties and do all sorts of adventures even though I am just a random guy you kind of know on the internet that is definitely not creepy... :unsure:

:wub:

lDT7o.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

And now we just sit.  And wait.

The seller took exception to one of our terms and offered an acceptable remedy.  So we have two acceptable offers.  The only things that can stop us now is the inspections and the financing (I don't think our financing will be an issue and the other buyer is making a cash offer).

Edited by Anordning

The seller took exception to one of our terms and offered an acceptable remedy.  So we have two acceptable offers.  The only things that can stop us now is the inspections and the financing (I don't think our financing will be an issue and the other buyer is making a cash offer).

Inspection of the new place Monday morning.

Inspection of the new place Monday morning.

The inspection was a disaster.  The listing claimed "new electrical, new plumbing, 12" of attic insulation."  It was all lies.  The electrical that was new was sloppily done (didn't bother to put covers on junction boxes or nail them down!)  They ran a bunch of new plugs especially in the kitchen, but didn't hook up the grounds (even on GFCIs!).  They added two parts to the house:  an attached shed and a second bathroom.  They put flat roofs on both, but just ran the shingles down them and didn't put proper flat roofs on.  The new siding left a lot of gaps around features.  It was just a mess.

Looking at other homes tonight.

The inspection was a disaster.  The listing claimed "new electrical, new plumbing, 12" of attic insulation."  It was all lies.  The electrical that was new was sloppily done (didn't bother to put covers on junction boxes or nail them down!)  They ran a bunch of new plugs especially in the kitchen, but didn't hook up the grounds (even on GFCIs!).  They added two parts to the house:  an attached shed and a second bathroom.  They put flat roofs on both, but just ran the shingles down them and didn't put proper flat roofs on.  The new siding left a lot of gaps around features.  It was just a mess.

Bummer. But at least you know you have a good inspector. That's easily worth the price.

The inspection was a disaster. The listing claimed "new electrical, new plumbing, 12" of attic insulation." It was all lies. The electrical that was new was sloppily done (didn't bother to put covers on junction boxes or nail them down!) They ran a bunch of new plugs especially in the kitchen, but didn't hook up the grounds (even on GFCIs!). They added two parts to the house: an attached shed and a second bathroom. They put flat roofs on both, but just ran the shingles down them and didn't put proper flat roofs on. The new siding left a lot of gaps around features. It was just a mess.

Don't you love it? The things people do to perfectly good houses.

We're probably house shopping within the next year or two and let me tell you, I can't wait to be completely disappointed in everything I look at.

Bummer. But at least you know you have a good inspector. That's easily worth the price.

Amen.

The inspection was a disaster. The listing claimed "new electrical, new plumbing, 12" of attic insulation." It was all lies. The electrical that was new was sloppily done (didn't bother to put covers on junction boxes or nail them down!) They ran a bunch of new plugs especially in the kitchen, but didn't hook up the grounds (even on GFCIs!). They added two parts to the house: an attached shed and a second bathroom. They put flat roofs on both, but just ran the shingles down them and didn't put proper flat roofs on. The new siding left a lot of gaps around features. It was just a mess.

Sorry to hear that one didn’t work out. A good home inspector is worth their weight in gold!

The first home we went into contract on turned out to be a polished turd. It was an older home, but on the surface was in good shape and very charming. Inspection turned up tons of stuff: bulging foundation walls, water damage, electric issue similar to those you mention, radon in the basement...

It was incredibly frustrating at the time, but looking back it was the best $500 I ever spent. And I love where we wound up. Way better than that original place.

What’s the status of your current home? Was your acceptance of the cash offer contingent on this other inspection?

Don't you love it? The things people do to perfectly good houses.

We're probably house shopping within the next year or two and let me tell you, I can't wait to be completely disappointed in everything I look at.

Amen.

For any of you folks looking to get into home ownership, I have a small bit of advice. Talk to the code enforcement officer that covers the address your potential home is in. They should have also inspected the new work done. Certainly pay an inspector as well, but code officer has a different perspective. We built our home so I befriended the guy day one. Some nice cigars helped. Made my life so much easier.

:(... but way better to find out now than later!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.