ESPN Closes Grantland

TrueBlueGED

http://espnmediazone.com/us/espn-statement-regarding-grantland/

This sucks. It felt inevitable with Simmons getting axed and a handful of prominent writers leaving for greener (or more certain) pastures, but it's still brutal. Grantland had some of the best sports writing anywhere on the internet, not to mention the non-sports content, and now it's gone. Meanwhile, ESPN is willing to shell out several million dollars each for Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith. All I know is I'll become an avid reader of wherever Bill Barnwell and Zach Lowe end up.

Grantland was a shining beacon of sports journalism. ESPN is, unfortunately, not in that business. Simmons got axed because he dared question the GIANT conflict of interest between the NFL and ESPN's coverage of it. And dozens of contributors must now pay for it, almost none of whom had anything to do with it.

After they decided to pretend hockey no longer existed, there was this one tendril keeping my interest. Now it's dead...

What's ESPN?

Joking of course.  That network is run by idiots.  There's really no other way to put it.  They've overpaid to gain major sports deals at a time when their subscriber base is shrinking.  

The rise of the individual league networks has also chewed away at its value.  The SEC network, BIg10, MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA... why do we need ESPN anymore?  

It's an idea that is past its time.

Stephen A. Smiff is an embarrassment to sports journalism and society. It pains me that this screaming Mongoloid gets paid for his...his...whatever they are calling it.

Normally, I am not one to care much about 'journalists'.  Sure, I like some better than others, but I don't get too wound up about most of them or their opinion.  The Patriots guys are a too much for me sometime, but I can even put up with Rodney Harrison in small doses, no problem.

There have been 2 recent excpetions to this for me. Cris Carter. After what he said at the rookie symposium, how does this guy still have a job? That is disgracefull. And Steven A. Smith.  I don't know exactly why it is, but I can't watch him at all. He annoys me, his talking points annoy me, his voice annoys me.  When I see him on TV now, I don't CARE what the topic is, change the channel to anything as quickly as possible.

Normally, I am not one to care much about 'journalists'.  Sure, I like some better than others, but I don't get too wound up about most of them or their opinion.  The Patriots guys are a too much for me sometime, but I can even put up with Rodney Harrison in small doses, no problem.

There have been 2 recent excpetions to this for me. Cris Carter. After what he said at the rookie symposium, how does this guy still have a job? That is disgracefull. And Steven A. Smith.  I don't know exactly why it is, but I can't watch him at all. He annoys me, his talking points annoy me, his voice annoys me.  When I see him on TV now, I don't CARE what the topic is, change the channel to anything as quickly as possible.

He uses a tone of righteous indignation regardless of the subject.  Get over yourself, Steven A. Smith.  It is the entertainment industry FFS.

He uses a tone of righteous indignation regardless of the subject. Get over yourself, Steven A. Smith. It is the entertainment industry FFS.

I don't understand society. When I hear asss like him or Fucillo or Soccer Sam I run away from them and anything they promote with much haste. I will never be a part of anything that gives those mental midgets money. Yet here they are millionaires. Who likes these ?

He uses a tone of righteous indignation regardless of the subject.  Get over yourself, Steven A. Smith.  It is the entertainment industry FFS.

I think Steven A. Smith's style is perfectly suited for the entertainment industry.

Media egos are always a treat.  As though there is some level of awesomeness in reporting on what is happening.  

I think Steven A. Smith's style is perfectly suited for the entertainment industry.

Media egos are always a treat.  As though there is some level of awesomeness in reporting on what is happening.  

You basically just explained everything I think is wrong with media coverage today in a single sentence. Well done.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.