100 Real Life Things that could be Matt Ellis

X. Benedict

4 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I’m glad there’s at least one (some what) positive voice for Matt. Before you posted this I was going to share my disappointment that such an intelligent collective would be so quick to disparage a guy that did exactly what we want the kids to do... and the fact that we have him doing that daily...why would we look down on this guy?

Exactly.  It's not like Gretzky and Lemieux make great teachers.  Guys like Ellis, well, they do.  Look at how many people want Chris Taylor to coach the Sabs (this is a bad idea, but...).  There are guys who weren't great players, but who see the game well, and I think Ellis is solidly in that category.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Oh please.

You're out of line, soldier.  We're having a discussion.

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I don't think anyone ever criticized the guy's work ethic.  He was always prepared.  It's just that his skill set perhaps a bit more than AHL but not quite NHL.

Quick.  Without looking it up, and let's just cut Ruff out right now (because he is the obvious exception), name the successful Sabres coaches who were experienced NHL players.  Or name the successful NHL coaches who were successful NHL players.  

There aren't too many.

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I don't think anyone ever criticized the guy's work ethic.  He was always prepared.  It's just that his skill set perhaps a bit more than AHL but not quite NHL.

Work ethic should be graded as a curve with respect to skill. 

11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I could see Matt being a really good coach.

I'm not going to do it, but I would love to know the Sabres' record with him in the lineup.

I looked this up like a week ago. Most seasons were normal, but there were 1 or 2 where we would go like 13-2 or something with him in, despite being mediocre otherwise. I don't recall the details though and am not doing that again lol

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I looked this up like a week ago. Most seasons were normal, but there were 1 or 2 where we would go like 13-2 or something with him in, despite being mediocre otherwise. I don't recall the details though and am not doing that again lol

I thought so. I love when stats meets the eye test.?

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

Who said this?

I have never heard it put  this way before and feel it to be spot on.

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/17/2015 at 5:59 AM, X. Benedict said:

It's like stuff, that is, you know. Works but ain't very sexy. But get full marks for being exceptionally ordinary. (but you should never over-pay for).

100. Grape Nuts.......the Matt Ellis of Breakfasts.

99. A Spatula..........the Matt Ellis of Kitchen Gadgets. 

98. Ice Cream at Friendly's ........The the Official  Matt Ellis of First Dates.. 

97. The Penny Saver.................The Matt Ellis of Newspapers.

96. SUNY Brockport...................The Matt Ellis of SUNY

95. Alden, NY..............................The Matt Ellis of WNY places to live 

94. Thrifty....................................The Official Matt Ellis of the Rental Car Industry. 

93. Barbosol ................................Three time Matt Ellis award winner for Shaving Product. 

Grape Nuts....I loved that cereal as a kid but i was never willing to get up 30 minutes early just to eat it because it took you that much longer to chew it than any other cereal...

• 8 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.