Everything Sabres Uniform Related - Royal Blue Please!

CallawaySabres

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Take a look at photos of Housley from early in his career.  The buffalo on the sweater has such a huge crown it is barely recognizable.  And then look at any Perreault sweater from the early days.  They cheaped out on the logo around '80.

OK, we're on the same page. 78-79 Perreault game-worn.

13970100%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

I mean, that is ATROCIOUS!

• Like (+1) 1

More to the point of what I was getting at: People want to go back to the original colors. What shade? No one thinks of what logo they are asking for when they want the original uni. The logos also changed quite a bit.

Here's a game-worn Martin from 1975. The blue is more like what we've been wearing (acknowledging it might not be true to reality). In the logo the buffalo has time traveled to the future with a snarky, ironic raising of the eyebrow.

e27494ddf066e3c6.jpg

Here's Perreault a year or two later, also game-worn, in a much brighter blue, and the buffalo is tweaked again.

8d721ff91c751e3d.jpg

There are many more on gamewornauctions.net, so someone could have a lot of run really breaking down the color and logo changes.

There's no debate, really. People want the current logo and a brighter, royal blue.They will get it and be happy, as will I. However, no one should make it about being 100% historically accurate to the 70s or anything, because it was a hound's breakfast back then. The interesting question is whether anyone noticed or cared.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2

Not to mention that so many of the photos we have of the Sabres in blue and gold were taken with cameras using film, which imparts its own characteristics on the colors. The first commercially available DSLR camera came out in 1988, not too long before the end of the original blue and gold era. So the blue we think of might be blue as seen on film rather than with our own eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The blue looks fine in person (at least on authentic sweaters in Sabres Store lighting), but it doesn't look as good on TV. Except... I forget which arena it was, but the lighting was such that the blue looked fantastic.

That said, no problem here with a brighter blue to come.

This is exactly it. Great in person, Pittsburgh Steelers on most TV screens. Yes, even with my HD Sony. So ready for Royal. 

Edited by Thorny

38 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Not to mention that so many of the photos we have of the Sabres in blue and gold were taken with cameras using film, which imparts its own characteristics on the colors. The first commercially available DSLR camera came out in 1988, not too long before the end of the original blue and gold era. So the blue we think of might be blue as seen on film rather than with our own eyes.

A great point. In which case, they should pick whatever different blue looks the closest now to how the film-blue looked, then. Which would probably be a slightly different blue. 

FWIW, I searched the USPTO filings and haven't found anything new lately.  This doesn't mean much, though, since the Slug debacle taught the patent lawyers to wait until the day of the unveiling to file the paperwork.

Also, IMO, all they have to do is take the uniforms anywhere from 1980-1996 (I'm partial to 1983-1987 because the slightly wider stripes are more befitting of modern jerseys, but use the thinner stripe pants from 1980-1983), keep the six-stripe socks, and use the crest from 2010-present with an update blue.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/Sabres/Sabres.html

Jerseys and socks:

Sabres08.png

Pants:

Sabres07.png

Crest, but updated with matching blue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Sabres#/media/File:Buffalo_Sabres_Logo.svg

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

FWIW, I searched the USPTO filings and haven't found anything new lately.  This doesn't mean much, though, since the Slug debacle taught the patent lawyers to wait until the day of the unveiling to file the paperwork.

Also, IMO, all they have to do is take the uniforms anywhere from 1980-1996 (I'm partial to 1983-1987 because the slightly wider stripes are more befitting of modern jerseys, but use the thinner stripe pants from 1980-1983), keep the six-stripe socks, and use the crest from 2010-present with an update blue.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/Sabres/Sabres.html

Jerseys and socks:

Sabres08.png

Pants:

Sabres07.png

Crest, but updated with matching blue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Sabres#/media/File:Buffalo_Sabres_Logo.svg

Minor quibble: trademark lawyers (or generic IP lawyers) not patent lawyers. ?

So I noticed that a ton of Sabres gear is on sale right now. Sure it could be because they need money or just want to clear inventory during this down time but what if they are trying to also clear inventory because we are getting closer to Royal Blue? (I fully expect them to use Royal Blue at the draft)

When I think "ye olde blue and golde", I think of the original, which is royal with what looked like a tint of cobalt.  I also preferred the thinner strips on the uniform and the socks from the original uniform.  Maybe because those teams were so much fun to watch.

• 1 month later...

I just hope they don't screw this up. The reason for the change in the 1st place is because its "what the fans wanted".

Idk if there's been any fan input into the design changes, but it would've been nice.

Between the slug that got smeared across a windshield mess & the alumni jerseys from last year with the embarrassing spelling mistakes, I really don't have much faith that it'll be what we hope it'll be. But after so much disappointment over the years, getting this right should be a gimme right? As always hoping for the best.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.