Patrick Kane: [Updated] D.A. Decides Not to Prosecute; NHL Determines Claims "Unfounded"

That Aud Smell

Maybe he is being shaken down.

I gave Michael Irvin the benefit of the doubt, I gave the Duke lacrosse players the benefit of the doubt, and I'm going to give Patrick Kane the benefit of the doubt.

You prefer to give high-profile guys accused of rape the benefit of the doubt? Well, okay then.

Edit: Or is your preference reserved for the motley crew of Irvin, Duke lax bros, and Pat Kane?

Edited by That Aud Smell

You prefer to give high-profile guys accused of rape the benefit of the doubt? Well, okay then.

I was right in the other two instances, wasn't I?

Frankly, until I see evidence of something, I prefer to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

I was right in the other two instances, wasn't I?

Frankly, until I see evidence of something, I prefer to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Welp. If you gave the accused high profile guys the benefit of the doubt 100 times, you'd probably be on the right side of the issue 10 times.

My point was: Even if he's being set up and this is a sham, how fooking stupid do you have to be to put yourself in that position?

I wonder how Amanda feels about all this. Maybe she hadn't yet made her way into town.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/ct-patrick-kane-maturity-blackhawks-spt-0208-20150207-story.html

Helping Kane along the way is a close-knit family that includes his parents, Pat Sr. and Donna, and sisters Erica, Jessica and Jacqueline. Just as significant is longtime girlfriend Amanda Grahovec, who has been by Kane's side for nearly three years and helps keep him grounded.

"She's great — she has helped me a lot," Kane said. "She's big into doing anything she can to help me feel better, help me be healthier, not only for my career but for longevity in life. We see a lot of each other. When I'm home we're pretty much with each other all the time. She's a big blessing in my life for sure."

puff piece from Feb 2015.

I think Eleven is fair and right for giving individuals the benefit of the doubt. Obviously guys with past incidents lose some of that, but they still deserve it at least until something more solid than allegations are out there.

Personally, I gave Kane the benefit of the doubt when I first heard this. That was yesterday. This is today.

I'm not saying he didn't do anything, I'm not saying he did, I'm not saying he will be charged, and I'm not saying he won't be.  But before everyone jumps to conclusions...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/18/drew-doughty-rape-charges_n_1684763.html

I wouldn't consider a failure to prosecute as innocence. Fact is that rape is extremely hard to prove, it is often a he said/she said situation. 

Welp. If you gave the accused high profile guys the benefit of the doubt 100 times, you'd probably be on the right side of the issue 10 times.

My point was: Even if he's being set up and this is a sham, how fooking stupid do you have to be to put yourself in that position?

I wonder how Amanda feels about all this. Maybe she hadn't yet made her way into town.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/ct-patrick-kane-maturity-blackhawks-spt-0208-20150207-story.html

Helping Kane along the way is a close-knit family that includes his parents, Pat Sr. and Donna, and sisters Erica, Jessica and Jacqueline. Just as significant is longtime girlfriend Amanda Grahovec, who has been by Kane's side for nearly three years and helps keep him grounded.

"She's great — she has helped me a lot," Kane said. "She's big into doing anything she can to help me feel better, help me be healthier, not only for my career but for longevity in life. We see a lot of each other. When I'm home we're pretty much with each other all the time. She's a big blessing in my life for sure."

What are you hearing, at this point, that would make you not give him the benefit of the doubt?  All you know is that there is an investigation.

I wouldn't consider a failure to prosecute as innocence. Fact is that rape is extremely hard to prove, it is often a he said/she said situation. 

Agreed; no one is calling Doughty a rapist three years later, though.

Disgusting. Nut sack stabs for them all.

Agree w/ this too.

^

What are you hearing, at this point, that would make you not give him the benefit of the doubt?  All you know is that there is an investigation.

I'm hearing that he's being investigated in connection with a rape charge, possibly a statutory rape charge, and that the incident has ties to a bar in Evans.

Based on other information I have about the guy -- including stuff cited upthread and other stuff commonly known -- the guy does not get the benefit of the doubt from me. 

More generally, my default setting is to believe people who accuse others of rape and sexual assault (at least, to believe the substance of their complaint), not to give the benefit of the doubt to the accused.

That default belief is that much stronger when the victim is accusing a high-profile person -- it's a rare, rare breed of lunatic gold digger who would willingly subject themselves to that sort of scrutiny in order to secure a settlement.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I'm hearing that he's being investigated in connection with a rape charge, possibly a statutory rape charge, and that the incident has ties to a bar in Evans.

Based on other information I have about the guy -- including stuff cited upthread and other stuff commonly known -- the guy does not get the benefit of the doubt from me. 

More generally, my default setting is to believe people who accuse others of rape and sexual assault (at least, to believe the substance of their complaint), not to give the benefit of the doubt to the accused.

That default belief is that much stronger when the victim is accusing a high-profile person -- it's a rare, rare breed of lunatic gold digger who would willingly subject themselves to that sort of scrutiny in order to secure a settlement.

I get the "where there's smoke, there's fire" approach, but right now, the police are trying to figure out if there's smoke.

I think we should be able to agree at least on one takeaway here.

We always argue that young players aren't attracted to Buffalo because it lacks a nightlife offering like other big cities.

Well, here's Kane, who could go anywhere to be involved in a mess like this finding his way in Buffalo.

See.. Buffalo does have everything the big city offers.

Frankly, I find it moronic that athletes put themselves in these situations.  It doesn't even matter if it ends up being true or not true.  If he was at least in a bar, hanging around with someone who appears to be underage, then he's a fool.  The rest of it just starts adding more layers and icing to the cake.

Of course it's hard not to act like a god when everyone treats you like one.

This, unless the victim walks to he police and has an examination done right after, wich is mentally probably very difficult, rape is just to hard to prove.

Then its him VS her without evidence and no prosecutor will touch that.

I get the "where there's smoke, there's fire" approach, but right now, the police are trying to figure out if there's smoke.

Fair deuce.

I think we should be able to agree at least on one takeaway here.

We always argue that young players aren't attracted to Buffalo because it lacks a nightlife offering like other big cities.

Well, here's Kane, who could go anywhere to be involved in a mess like this finding his way in Buffalo.

See.. Buffalo does have everything the big city offers.

Frankly, I find it moronic that athletes put themselves in these situations.  It doesn't even matter if it ends up being true or not true.  If he was at least in a bar, hanging around with someone who appears to be underage, then he's a fool.  The rest of it just starts adding more layers and icing to the cake.

Of course it's hard not to act like a god when everyone treats you like one.

Nice - agreed all around.

This, unless the victim walks to he police and has an examination done right after, wich is mentally probably very difficult, rape is just to hard to prove.

Then its him VS her without evidence and no prosecutor will touch that.

One thing to keep in mind.  Hoss referenced surveillance cameras in homes.  So, if you run with that just a bit.  Let's assume PK has surveillance footage of him and her in the house.  That's not going to look good.

Video sways minds.  Ask Ray Rice.

One thing to keep in mind.  Hoss referenced surveillance cameras in homes.  So, if you run with that just a bit.  Let's assume PK has surveillance footage of him and her in the house.  That's not going to look good.

Video sways minds.  Ask Ray Rice.

That could cut both ways.  If this is on camera, that camera is either Kane's best friend or worst enemy.

Mods can we toss this in a separate thread?

Good idea.

That could cut both ways.  If this is on camera, that camera is either Kane's best friend or worst enemy.

Could not agree more.  Here's the thing.  If this involves an underage person and he would be aware that this person was underage then any appearance of this person in his house probably won't look good.

All I know is I am glad I am just a fan of hockey right now and not the guy who is agreeing to pay him $84 million.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.