Summer movies/TV 2015

nfreeman

Anyone got anything he/she really liked?

I haven't seen much in the theater, although I did take my daughter to see "Inside Out" last week and enjoyed it.  If you like kids' movies and/or liked "Parks and Recreation," I think you'll like it.

For summer TV, I highly recommend:

Catastrophe -- Amazon Prime -- kinda like the movie "Knocked Up"

Deutschland 83 -- Sundance -- good spy thriller

Mr. Robot -- USA -- edgy tech thriller

And a somewhat lesser recommendation for "Daredevil" and "Orange is the New Black" -- both on Netflix.  I enjoyed both but I think they are a notch below the 3 listed above.

Let 'er rip.

Just got done watching "The Brink", definitely recommend. Movie wise, I want to see Trainwreck, heard it was very good

Trainwreck is really funny and Spy is freaking hilarious. The best two movies of the year by far. 

Saw Inside Out, a very sad movie I thought and Minions is 100% exactly what you would expect going in. Thought Jurassic Park was predictable. Looking forward to Mission Impossible and vacation this weekend.  

Antman was really well done. Marvel does a really good job when they introduce characters.

Antman was much better than I anticipated. Paul Rudd did a great job.

I am looking forward to the Fantastic 4 reboot. 

...and a really bad job with sequels, Cap 2 notwithstanding. 

Thor: The Dark World was very good, IMO. I also liked Age of Ultron. The only squeals I was not a fan of are the Iron Mans. I liked Iron Man 3 much more than Iron Man 2.

Also,

The 2nd Hulk movie was much better than the first.  

Anyone got anything he/she really liked?

I haven't seen much in the theater, although I did take my daughter to see "Inside Out" last week and enjoyed it.  If you like kids' movies and/or liked "Parks and Recreation," I think you'll like it.

For summer TV, I highly recommend:

Catastrophe -- Amazon Prime -- kinda like the movie "Knocked Up"

Deutschland 83 -- Sundance -- good spy thriller

Mr. Robot -- USA -- edgy tech thriller

And a somewhat lesser recommendation for "Daredevil" and "Orange is the New Black" -- both on Netflix.  I enjoyed both but I think they are a notch below the 3 listed above.

Let 'er rip.

Mr Robot is pretty good, I saw an episode last time I was in Buffalo. Whoever is writing it knows a fair bit about computer security because most (but not all) of it rings true. It's not CSI/NCIS "I'm going to hack into the traffic camera mainframe as long as I can get past their RPC calls and firewall proxy"; which are all valid terms but mashed together like, "I think the Sabres can score with the puck as long as the defensemen play the cycle and the forwards avoid icing before making two-line passes."

Thor: The Dark World was very good, IMO. I also liked Age of Ultron. The only squeals I was not a fan of are the Iron Mans. I liked Iron Man 3 much more than Iron Man 2.

Also,

The 2nd Hulk movie was much better than the first.  

Bad is relative since they're all at least okay, but the only sequel I found better than the original was Cap 2 (FWIW, the original Cap is probably my least favorite Marvel movie). My issue with Thor 2 was the villain was so...bad. I mean, I'm not expecting an Oscar-worthy story, but he just had no development at all. I also found the whole teleporting thing to be quite lame. Iron Man 3 was definitely better than 2, but still quite inferior to the original--no, I will not get over the Mandarin thing. As far as Age of Ultron goes, I was just disappointed in Ultron--once again, no development. He just comes into existence and immediately wants to destroy everything; I was hoping for a more gradual decline into a murderous robot.

On Hulk, the second one was better...but it wasn't a sequel, it was a reboot. So doesn't really count IMO.

Bad is relative since they're all at least okay, but the only sequel I found better than the original was Cap 2 (FWIW, the original Cap is probably my least favorite Marvel movie). My issue with Thor 2 was the villain was so...bad. I mean, I'm not expecting an Oscar-worthy story, but he just had no development at all. I also found the whole teleporting thing to be quite lame. Iron Man 3 was definitely better than 2, but still quite inferior to the original--no, I will not get over the Mandarin thing. As far as Age of Ultron goes, I was just disappointed in Ultron--once again, no development. He just comes into existence and immediately wants to destroy everything; I was hoping for a more gradual decline into a murderous robot.

On Hulk, the second one was better...but it wasn't a sequel, it was a reboot. So doesn't really count IMO.

Hulk 2 continues the story, a re-boot, like Fantastic Four, starts from the beginning. Another example of a re-boot is Man of Steel. 

Hulk 2 continues the story, a re-boot, like Fantastic Four, starts from the beginning. Another example of a re-boot is Man of Steel. 

Welp, guess my memory isn't what it used to be. 

The Hulk movie with Edward Norton (The Incredible Hulk) was a re-boot, there's only been one Hulk movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Edited by Lanny

Mad Max is at the dollar theater in Rochester so I know what I'm doing this weekend. 

Oh yeah? Yeah. Followed by a vanilla milkshake handmade by Deb, our favorite waitress at Jay's. That's a good evening. 

That's what I thought. I was surprised at how much I liked that movie. Haven't seen the sequel yet.

Just saw the sequel this weekend. I would've liked to have seen it in a theater- like most sfx heavy action films, a lot of it seems anti-climactic on a small screen.

Best part about Winter Soldier is the treatment of Black Widow. Worst thing is how they follow up with her in Avengers 2. I knew I disliked that movie for a few reasons but after seeing BW in Cap 2 being a cool headed badass, it made her seem all the more sidelined/horribly written. 

The Hulk movie with Edward Norton (The Incredible Hulk) was a re-boot, there's only been one Hulk movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I knew it!!! :D

Oh yeah? Yeah. Followed by a vanilla milkshake handmade by Deb, our favorite waitress at Jay's. That's a good evening. 

Just saw the sequel this weekend. I would've liked to have seen it in a theater- like most sfx heavy action films, a lot of it seems anti-climactic on a small screen.

Best part about Winter Soldier is the treatment of Black Widow. Worst thing is how they follow up with her in Avengers 2. I knew I disliked that movie for a few reasons but after seeing BW in Cap 2 being a cool headed badass, it made her seem all the more sidelined/horribly written. 

I think part of Black Widow's problem as a character is she's kind of out of place these giant wars, so they try to find other ways to make her interesting...and it doesn't work that well. Not sure what the solution is.

I think part of Black Widow's problem as a character is she's kind of out of place these giant wars, so they try to find other ways to make her interesting...and it doesn't work that well. Not sure what the solution is.

I can think of a few...

Yeah, I agree. But the thing is, I think most of the ladies who watch and identify with her just want her to be one of the boys. It works pretty well in Winter Soldier. Even better, have another tough lady in there with her. Or two! Ah, now I'm being greedy.

Then again, I'm just super touchy about the whole "infertile womb oh god I'm a monster" storyline. Left a really bad impression on me for the rest of the movie. 

Re-boots start from the beginning. The first Hulk movie provided the origin, the 2nd Hulk movie continues with Banner already on the run and continues the same story line with Betty and Colonel Ross. 

Reboots are are complete do overs. Take the Batman movies, the Spiderman movies, and soon, the Fantastic Four movies, they have all been rebooted.

Edited by DeLuca1967

I saw lotsa films in the theater this summer.

Mad Max:  Had a blast.  Fun action film that tells almost its entire story with the visuals.

Magic Mike  2:  Really fun movie.  Basically a movie about an artist who can't help but be awed by his craft.  And dudebros hanging out.  It's the exact kind of movie that shouldn't have a plot, and they didn't try to shove one in.  That said, 130 minutes is WAY TOO LONG for a movie where nothing happens (about an hour too long).  Loved seeing Michael Strahan and Jada Pinkett Smith.

Spy:  Fun comedy film.  Statham's over-serious character had me in stitches.  Melissa McCarthy did a good job carrying the film, but I could've used more visual humor.

Jurassic World:  Boring huge action film.

Avengers 2:  Loved the first act.  It was very charming.  But the second act was a Boring huge action film.  And there was no third act.

Ant Man:  Fun, but Boring huge action film.  Getting sick of Marvel's tricks now that I've seen them played so many times

Entourage:  Terrible.  Magic Mike did the whole "friends hanging out" thing way better, and that movie had sexy male stripping too.  What does entourage have?  Well... Liam Neeson makes a swear.

Inside Out:  Good children's film.  I imagine that every kid that saw this movie now understands a lot more about mental health.  I wanted more out of the movie, but I think that's because it did such a good job engaging me that I wanted more depth than kids movies usually carry.  (But Pixar is good at this and I don't feel bad about holding them to a higher standard)

The Gallows:  My favorite film going experience all summer.  The movie built tension slowly and beautifully, and the characters were well done (they're all incredibly shallow audience inserts, but they were never stupid or offensive).  This movie excited my imagination.  I started reading the Shining and writing a horror story because of it.  I have more to say about the Gallows, but wont in case any of you are interested in seeing it.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Re-boots start from the begging. The first Hulk movie provided the origin, the 2nd Hulk movie continues with Banner already on the run and continues the same story line with Betty and Colonel Ross.

Reboots are are complete do overs. Take the Batman movies, the Spiderman movies, and soon, the Fantastic Four movies, they have all been rebooted.

A reboot doesn't have to be a re-telling of the origin story. For example X-men:DoFP rebooted the X-men series. The new Spiderman coming out may not go back to his origin, but it is most definitely a reboot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.