Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

The wind this morning was 47 mph and gusting to 73 mph..I had never hunted in wind like this before. We got out limits before 11am and Black Lab we had retrieved them all and it was his first time ever retrieving for an actual hunt!....made his owner proud....also got a Ross ' Goose as well.

Just so you guys don't think we are shooting ducks in a barrel....two of us were out from sun up to sundown yesterday in a marsh I know that is 75 minutes north on the edge of Lake Winnipeg. Seven ducks for the whole day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a season limit or just daily limits, or no limits? It seems like you have taken a lot of birds.

Is there a season limit or just daily limits, or no limits? It seems like you have taken a lot of birds.

IIRC he's a *guide*. You can go up and visit him and get the daily limits, or what ever your luck may be. I don't believe Ducky is filling his freezer with all these birds, his customers are. 

Daily limits are 8 and possession are 24. I give a lot away to older folks that don't have access to wild birds and I eat a LOT. Will be doing about 10 breasts Saturday for a family dinner.

Also, I am a Metis Indian so I can have as much in my freezer as I choose. I don't go over daily limits while I hunt and don't allow anyone I am hunting with regardless if they can or not. If you get 8 ducks in a day that is enough for anyone.

I eat ducks all winter long and into the spring. I have an annual bash every August in honor of a friend that passed away in 1998 and keep about 10-12 ducks for that as well. A few weeks after the bash it is hunting season so I am eating ducks all year long. I also eat as much ruffed grouse as I can if I am lucky enough to harvest any. I don't hunt big game any more but would never turn down moose meat if any friends offer.

Daily limits are 8 and possession are 24. I give a lot away to older folks that don't have access to wild birds and I eat a LOT. Will be doing about 10 breasts Saturday for a family dinner. Also, I am a Metis Indian so I can have as much in my freezer as I choose. I don't go over daily limits while I hunt and don't allow anyone I am hunting with regardless if they can or not. If you get 8 ducks in a day that is enough for anyone. I eat ducks all winter long and into the spring. I have an annual bash every August in honor of a friend that passed away in 1998 and keep about 10-12 ducks for that as well. A few weeks after the bash it is hunting season so I am eating ducks all year long. I also eat as much ruffed grouse as I can if I am lucky enough to harvest any. I don't hunt big game any more but would never turn down moose meat if any friends offer.

Moose is good. 

Great topic.  About 10 years ago, a friend introduced me to fishing in the Niagara River inlet for bass.   Have had many, many great days out there in my fishing boat with double and triple-headers of catch and release smallmouth bass.    Sadly, I didn't even make it out once this year due to some life changes.  

Of all the locations near Buffalo, Waverly Shoal is my favorite - can't always get out there though if it's too rough.    I also like right in front of the Bethlehem steel plant.   That slag that was dumped when the plant operated makes great bass structure.  

I do want to get out and do some stream fishing for lake run steelhead and browns this fall/winter.  

Great topic.  About 10 years ago, a friend introduced me to fishing in the Niagara River inlet for bass.   Have had many, many great days out there in my fishing boat with double and triple-headers of catch and release smallmouth bass.    Sadly, I didn't even make it out once this year due to some life changes.  

Of all the locations near Buffalo, Waverly Shoal is my favorite - can't always get out there though if it's too rough.    I also like right in front of the Bethlehem steel plant.   That slag that was dumped when the plant operated makes great bass structure.  

I do want to get out and do some stream fishing for lake run steelhead and browns this fall/winter.  

Water temps in the Lake Ontario tribs are down into the mid 50's.  Lake run trout should be arriving any time now.  I bet if you tried the Catt and 18 Mile you'd find there are a few in already.

Water temps in the Lake Ontario tribs are down into the mid 50's.  Lake run trout should be arriving any time now.  I bet if you tried the Catt and 18 Mile you'd find there are a few in already.

Have you got any rain?  Wis and MICH tribs are really low.  The fish are stacking up in the mouths of harbors and are getting crushed by trollers. 

Have you got any rain?  Wis and MICH tribs are really low.  The fish are stacking up in the mouths of harbors and are getting crushed by trollers. 

No. Not much rain.  Tributaries here are low and clear too.  The water temps were high too.  Salmon run started late.  There has been speculation that some of the salmon are dying in the mouths of the creeks while waiting for the water levels to rise.  There are fish in the creeks, but the consensus is that it is small pods of fish moving in, and not the big runs most years see. 

There is one guy here who will remain unnamed  :angel:  that had a pretty good year sticking to the harbor area.  

I usually always do better once most of the leaves are off the trees.   

I used to fly-fish in the faster water during the spawn, and then switch to egg-sacks and inline spinners in the deeper, slow pools post spawn.  These days I've gotten lazy - I use Rapala Shad Raps in the slower sections (black and silver) with pretty decent results.  Just writing about it is giving me cabin fever and wanting to get out there.     

No. Not much rain.  Tributaries here are low and clear too.  The water temps were high too.  Salmon run started late.  There has been speculation that some of the salmon are dying in the mouths of the creeks while waiting for the water levels to rise.  There are fish in the creeks, but the consensus is that it is small pods of fish moving in, and not the big runs most years see. 

There is one guy here who will remain unnamed  :angel:  that had a pretty good year sticking to the harbor area.  

I fish with flies and it is not easy around here to fish the harbors with guys using conventional tackle.  

Daily limits are 8 and possession are 24. I give a lot away to older folks that don't have access to wild birds and I eat a LOT. Will be doing about 10 breasts Saturday for a family dinner. Also, I am a Metis Indian so I can have as much in my freezer as I choose. I don't go over daily limits while I hunt and don't allow anyone I am hunting with regardless if they can or not. If you get 8 ducks in a day that is enough for anyone. I eat ducks all winter long and into the spring. I have an annual bash every August in honor of a friend that passed away in 1998 and keep about 10-12 ducks for that as well. A few weeks after the bash it is hunting season so I am eating ducks all year long. I also eat as much ruffed grouse as I can if I am lucky enough to harvest any. I don't hunt big game any more but would never turn down moose meat if any friends offer.

My wife's nephew introduced us to water fowl last year when he brought some over for the family Christmas diner. My wife and I ate about 90% of what he brought, winged crack to us. I'm actually going to go hunting again for the first time in years (big and small game , never water fowl previously) just cause he asked if I'd *help*him. Nice *kid*. 

On a personal note, and only if you chose to answer. You used the term Indian to describe your ancestry. Is it your personally preferred description of your ancestry? Or, are you what may be considered an exception to what some consider the more acceptable  *First Canadian/American* alternative?

Just for a reference, we spend a lot of time around the Seneca Nation in the Southern Tier of Western NY. I never felt comfortable asking, as I never got to know some one of Indian/Native /First American Ancestry well if enough to know If I would be offending by even asking *these types* of questions. The disconnect of an Internet forum and your use of the word left a slight opening for my curiosity that I am hoping you find reasonable for me to ask.

I've asked you to paint a picture using a very wide brush for millions of people due to my ignorance, but if you chose to enlighten me (or hopefully many) it would be greatly appreciated.

I consider myself a Canadian and my ancestry is Metis and Scottish on my father's side and Ukrainian on my mother's side.

I only found out I had Metis in my background about 12-15 years ago.

Lots of First Nation peopel prefer not to be called indians and think it is derogatory but I grew up with lots of indians and call them that to their faces and they know I am not saying it in a racist way.

Metis and First Nations are different and the Metis only got their harvester rights in 2012.

I had family over today and got rave reviews for the deep fried duck breasts and hearts.

I consider myself a Canadian and my ancestry is Metis and Scottish on my father's side and Ukrainian on my mother's side. I only found out I had Metis in my background about 12-15 years ago. Lots of First Nation peopel prefer not to be called indians and think it is derogatory but I grew up with lots of indians and call them that to their faces and they know I am not saying it in a racist way. Metis and First Nations are different and the Metis only got their harvester rights in 2012. I had family over today and got rave reviews for the deep fried duck breasts and hearts.

Deep fried? well please tell us the rest..

Was there a batter, or a rub, did you throw on some flavorings after removing from the fryer?

Your secrets are save on the internet.

Batter.......Pepper, Hy's Steak Spice and flour with beer or water....I usually use water as I drink imported beer and it is too expensive.

Thicker for fish and thinner for duck or chicken or something more dense than fish.

I use the same batter for mushrooms and onion rings.

I bought a plucker last year and plucked some Redheads and mallards and a Canvasback we got on Friday....in the freezer waiting for my gf's recipe this winter.

Back at er on Thursday morning.

Batter.......Pepper, Hy's Steak Spice and flour with beer or water....I usually use water as I drink imported beer and it is too expensive. Thicker for fish and thinner for duck or chicken or something more dense than fish. I use the same batter for mushrooms and onion rings. I bought a plucker last year and plucked some Redheads and mallards and a Canvasback we got on Friday....in the freezer waiting for my gf's recipe this winter. Back at er on Thursday morning.

We don't have Hy's Steak seasoning here in the States, but I googled and a Canadian Expatriate has a recipe for it on line for those that long for it. Seems to be quite a popular seasoning mix, so I will make our own and give it a try....Thank you.

Just use your favorite one....I also like Western steak spice but the most important part is having the meat dry so the batter sticks better and let it stay on the fork for about 3 seconds when you put the piece in the oil and sear (for lack of better word) it before you let it go from fork. Dry meat is the single most important thing for a good batter. How thick/thin and a temp of 375F are the others.

Also, if the fish you are frying are a bit bigger/older than what you like, try using 7UP ... it takes some of the FISHY? taste out of it.

Just use your favorite one....I also like Western steak spice but the most important part is having the meat dry so the batter sticks better and let it stay on the fork for about 3 seconds when you put the piece in the oil and sear (for lack of better word) it before you let it go from fork. Dry meat is the single most important thing for a good batter. How thick/thin and a temp of 375F are the others. Also, if the fish you are frying are a bit bigger/older than what you like, try using 7UP ... it takes some of the FISHY? taste out of it.

Seven up/ Sprite was always a favorite with venison, never thought about fish.

Another slow evening yesterday.

Two of us got 4 ducks.

Two mallards and 2 Redheads......good color on them which tells me these are northern ducks. Hopefully they are starting to move down.

We had a flock of about 2500-3000 mallards go over us about 400 yards up just before dark.

They were set and weren't flapping their wings and I would guess they landed about a mile or so behind us.

Neat to see and hear but would have been nice if they came into our dekes.

Back at it Thursday!

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.