Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

Thank you for that.

I guess the pumpkinseed was what I always called a *sunfish* and always threw back, but rock bass a bluegill where *keepers*.

Now I know they are all keepers.

In my experience, pumpkinseeds and bluegills are better eating than rock bass.  But I don't keep smallmouth bass for eating either. Like Yuri says, the fillets are small, backstraps only, really.  But they are mild tasting. 

Hey, SabreSpace Rod and Gun Club?

What is the scoop on .22 ammo?  I had a Ruger and loved it, but it went with the better half when we broke up.  Should I buy another .22?  Will this ammo issue be an ongoing annoyance?  I really just want something for plinking and rabbits.  I like target practicing and am interested in long range shooting.  My budget is about $420 on a gun scope combo.  Your thoughts would be appreciated. 

What is the scoop on .22 ammo?  I had a Ruger and loved it, but it went with the better half when we broke up.  Should I buy another .22?  Will this ammo issue be an ongoing annoyance?  I really just want something for plinking and rabbits.  I like target practicing and am interested in long range shooting.  My budget is about $420 on a gun scope combo.  Your thoughts would be appreciated. 

Buy it!!!

It's an easy enough call, even saying this I know I never thought I would walk into Wal-Mart for 3 years and never even see a box of 22's. Still the cheapest fun for the money though. A good 22 and scope are good for a life time. I have my Dad's that he used on his Uncles' farm in Batavia. I think he spent 20 some dollars for it in the 50's ( no scope).  60 years from now you'll hope your man hood is still as functional and fun as your 22 and the 400 bucks will be chump change as it will take 10 times that to buy a replacement 22.

Heck, you're already regretting the lose of the Ruger! 

What is the scoop on .22 ammo? I had a Ruger and loved it, but it went with the better half when we broke up. Should I buy another .22? Will this ammo issue be an ongoing annoyance? I really just want something for plinking and rabbits. I like target practicing and am interested in long range shooting. My budget is about $420 on a gun scope combo. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/lever-action-22-rifle/

Dooooo itttttt

What is the scoop on .22 ammo? I had a Ruger and loved it, but it went with the better half when we broke up. Should I buy another .22? Will this ammo issue be an ongoing annoyance? I really just want something for plinking and rabbits. I like target practicing and am interested in long range shooting. My budget is about $420 on a gun scope combo. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

.22 pft! I have a hard enough time finding 9mm. Look into ordering it online when you can find it. Of course, I live in a hot bed of shooters. I think 75% of Northeast Pennsylvania holds a CC licence, and they actively buy up all the freaking ammo around here!

Whenever I find .22 ammo I buy it all up for my father. It's a real pain in the butt.

You have a Henry?

Been wanting one in the worst way, not even sure why.

Browning, Ruger, Wichester, CZ, Mossberg, Savage. So many to choose from, and I am very partial to Browning, but that Henry just hits a spot in my Christmas Story, Red Rider BB gun heart of I gotta have.

So that Henry holds 15 in the magazine. Is that legal? I do want it.

I bought 5 round mags for my Ruger after the Safe Act, and at the start of all this .22 ammo madness.

But a 15 round mag is legal if you only load 5 at a time?

I ckecked the wiki. .22 caliber tubular magazines are exempt from the safe act. You da man, d4rksabre.

I miss my Ruger. I was a good shot.

I don't think online ammo is permitted in NYS.

Ahh, duh. Nope you can't buy ammo online in NYS. I forgot that 2015 Pennsylvania gun laws rival only that of 1860's Tombstone, AZ.

You're going to have a very hard time finding ammo in NYS. I had to call the ATF to ask if it was legal for me to transport 200 rounds across state lines. (it is)

You have a Henry?

Been wanting one in the worst way, not even sure why.

Browning, Ruger, Wichester, CZ, Mossberg, Savage. So many to choose from, and I am very partial to Browning, but that Henry just hits a spot in my Christmas Story, Red Rider BB gun heart of I gotta have.

I wish I had a Henry!

So that Henry holds 15 in the magazine. Is that legal? I do want it.

I bought 5 round mags for my Ruger after the Safe Act, and at the start of all this .22 ammo madness.

But a 15 round mag is legal if you only load 5 at a time?

I ckecked the wiki. .22 caliber tubular magazines are exempt from the safe act. You da man, d4rksabre.

:thumbsup:

.22 ammo is still scarce in NY.  I'm not sure if it is because of the Safe Act or if hoarders are still scooping it up.  The rest of the country seems to have gotten past the scarce period and the manufacturers claim they are back to normal production now.  Hard to find may be the new normal for NY.

.22 ammo is still scarce in NY.  I'm not sure if it is because of the Safe Act or if hoarders are still scooping it up.  The rest of the country seems to have gotten past the scarce period and the manufacturers claim they are back to normal production now.  Hard to find may be the new normal for NY.

I had no idea this was an issue. What is the cause? 

Ahh, duh. Nope you can't buy ammo online in NYS. I forgot that 2015 Pennsylvania gun laws rival only that of 1860's Tombstone, AZ.

You're going to have a very hard time finding ammo in NYS. I had to call the ATF to ask if it was legal for me to transport 200 rounds across state lines. (it is)

Same as our booze laws, from the 1860's.

We have to be the only state were liquor costs more than NY. No internet sales and no transporting.

I had no idea this was an issue. What is the cause? 

Initially (starting 8 years ago, gee what happened then?) there was a great deal of hording nation wide in response to a fear of gun and ammo legislation.  Manufacturers couldn't keep up.  The Safe Act made it worse in NY because it locked us out of internet sales in NY.  I don't know what is keeping NY stocks of .22lr down right now.  My guess is, with no ability to  buy on the internet/mail order, shops still can't keep up with demand.  But that is just a guess on my part.  All I know is, I haven't seen CCI Mini-mags in over 5 years, and that is my go-to for small game hunting.  In my county right now the only brand I find in stock is a Mexican brand, Aguila.  That's it.

Another cool thing about that Henry is that it accepts 3 different sizes of .22 ammo.

However, .22 ammo is like crack to shooters. Folks wait outside Walmart for the truck to arrive, hands shaking, teeth chattering, that is, if they still have their teeth. They will do anything to get their fix. They start with a box, and are soon onto bricks. Before you know it, they are buying out a stores' entire inventory.

My prescious.

Midway USA's web site will sell to internet sellable states for 22's starting at $.07 per round up to $.26 per round.

The most popular is Norma USA TAC 10 boxes of 50 rounds per box for $65.00(~$.13 per round). Limit 1 order per customer(500 rounds).

That's hours of fun for a couple Saturdays for 65 bucks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/813992/norma-usa-tac-22-ammunition-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose-subsonic-box-of-500-10-boxes-of-50?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I see flies, a deep diving crankbait, a top water popper, 3 flatfishes, a couple Roostertail spinners, a Panther Martin spinner, a spoon, and a Rapala shallow running crankbait.   All of it is legit.  Not sure how you are going to fish with those flies though.  Very specialized equipment needed there.

Get some rubber curly tailed bodies for those jig heads. the big name brand is Mister Twister but I buy the non-name branded ones. White, yellow, and black are good colors to start with.  They are dirt cheap.

You've got a mix of deep diving, shallow, and top water in there.  All have their place.  

The spinners might be tough to use with that spin caster. Spin casting reels have real low gear ratios so you may have to crank like hell to get the spinner blade a spinnin'.  A modern spinning reel has a much faster gear ratio so it'll be easier to work the spinners properly.

Honestly, use those jig heads and curly tail soft bodies alot. They will pretty much catch anything, and they are very versatile in how you can use them.  Fish them slow with little twitches as you reel in to work the bottom, retrieve faster to get them running more shallow, or jig them vertically.  Everything from sunfish to bass to trout will get interested in them.  

So reporting back in after three hours on the upper Genesee today. 

The jigs with the mister twisters were too heavy. I lost both jigs to snags. The Genesee just isn't deep enough for them. 

The Panther Martin was the most pleasant lure to work with today. I found the spincaster with the 6lb line worked quite well getting it moving. I was able to get it further out into the river with the spin caster too. 

The 4lb line on the spinning reel seems to be too light. I just couldn't place my casts out into the river far enough. Fortunately I lost a lot of line to snags today so I wont feel guilty re-spooling it with 6lb. <_< 

Getting a read on the nature of the water, the Genesee is slow, a little murky and not very deep. The fish were biting, mostly going after bugs on the surface. I think I need to focus on lures that I can place on or just below the surface and reel in rather slowly. I get the feeling the fish in this part of the Genny aren't high energy, so I need to not outrun them with my reeling.  

Snags are good. Yes you will lose jigs, thats why they are cheap. Depth doesnt matter. I use them in as little as 2ft of water. Having said that, they may well be heavier than nweded for whatever is in that part of the Genny. Dont give up on jigs. Buy smaller ones.

And.. you can fish small jigs under a bobber. Twitch and reel in the slack line to keep them moving.

Dont be afraid of snags. The bigger fish are almost always on the bottom. If you are losing tackle you are fishing correclty for thw bigger fish. My bet is thw surface feeders were quite small. About the only wxception you'll commonly find are trout in creeks and small rivers are often surface feeders, but you aint catching trout in that part of the Genny.

Edited by weave

Snags are good. Yes you will lose jigs, thats why they are cheap. Depth doesnt matter. I use them in as little as 2ft of water. Having said that, they may well be heavier than nweded for whatever is in that part of the Genny. Dont give up on jigs. Buy smaller ones.

And.. you can fish small jigs under a bobber. Twitch and reel in the slack line to keep them moving.

Dont be afraid of snags. The bigger fish are almost always on the bottom. If you are losing tackle you are fishing correclty for thw bigger fish. My bet is thw surface feeders were quite small. About the only wxception you'll commonly find are trout in creeks and small rivers are often surface feeders, but you aint catching trout in that part of the Genny.

Bobbers. I was really hoping to avoid bobbers.  :P

Anyone ever fish the Adirondacks? Heading up there soon and camping on Raquette lake. I know it can be some tough fishing and what looks like just perfect largemouth areas doesn't have any (they are probably there but just really picky eaters and I didn't have/know what they wanted last time).

Thinking of just drifting the rocky shoreline with crayfish looking for smallies.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.