Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

• 5 months later...

Haven't been in a while, but there are great fishing spots on the waterfront. In may the northerns spawn in the ship slips in the inner harbor and are accessible on foot.  The daring can drop shot for palomino trout under the peace bridge but it is a place where extreme caution is advised.  You can catch bass and walleye off the breakwall near Bethlehem steel.  Look for the railroad ponds along the stretches in Cheektowaga and west seneca, good catfish and bass in those ponds and the lower Niagara is a must if for nothing else but the scenery. Tight lines.

Haven't been in a while, but there are great fishing spots on the waterfront. In may the northerns spawn in the ship slips in the inner harbor and are accessible on foot.  The daring can drop shot for palomino trout under the peace bridge but it is a place where extreme caution is advised.  You can catch bass and walleye off the breakwall near Bethlehem steel.  Look for the railroad ponds along the stretches in Cheektowaga and west seneca, good catfish and bass in those ponds and the lower Niagara is a must if for nothing else but the scenery. Tight lines.

Oooo catfish. I've never tried for catfish. 

I want to get into catching and cleaning this summer. Really want to know how to do something with fish worth eating. 

I think when we were kids we used to drop shot off of Bird Island Pier by the Peace Bridge there. I remember going out underneath the Peace Bridge. Lots of needles...

That's the place. But you have to work your way out to the edge. The trout hold in the eddies. As for catfish they are good fare. Watch out for the spines . The easiest way to clean them is to pound a nail through the head into a 1x8 and filet down the ribs. Nice filets and pretty easy. Bullheads are similar with sharper dorsal fins and you can catch a lot in South Park lake.

I know I could google but why when you guys are here lol

What's the rule on needing a fishing license? If I take my nephew out to a creek to fish are we getting busted without licenses? Or is it just for, like, state parks or something?

Technically you should have a license. The odds of you getting caught without one are probably minimal though. And even if you did get caught, I'm sure they'd just tell you to stop. 

I know I could google but why when you guys are here lol

What's the rule on needing a fishing license? If I take my nephew out to a creek to fish are we getting busted without licenses? Or is it just for, like, state parks or something?

You need a freshwater fishing license to fish anywhere in NYS unless it's private property. It's like $25 a year or you can get ones that are for the day and they're a lot cheaper. Not worth getting a ticket over. And don't even think about taking fish out of season they can and will confiscate your vehicle. DEC is ruthless.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6091.html

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

You need a freshwater fishing license to fish anywhere in NYS unless it's private property. It's like $25 a year or you can get ones that are for the day and they're a lot cheaper. Not worth getting a ticket over. And don't even think about taking fish out of season they can and will confiscate your vehicle. DEC is ruthless.

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

I get out 5-6 times a year with some variation of my kids and nieces/nephews. Even at that rate, I've been approached twice by conservation officers (once in Ontario, once in NYS), asking for a license. Maybe just bad luck, but now I just get a license when I go to the store to purchase whatever bait/tackle I need.

Pretty sure you need one even if it's private property, unless you are a farmer fishing your own pond, I think.

I get an out of state license every year for NY. It's just too easy to do online to not do it.

Pretty sure you need one even if it's private property, unless you are a farmer fishing your own pond, I think.

I get an out of state license every year for NY. It's just too easy to do online to not do it.

If you're fishing on your own property, or have permission from the land owner you don't need a license. NYDEC governs over public waterways not private.

If you're fishing on your own property, or have permission from the land owner you don't need a license. NYDEC governs over public waterways not private.

I'm almost positive that this is not correct. I fish private water all the time that I know I need a license for (Schoharie Creek, the lake on my parents association).

Either way, It's not that much money and some of the money goes to conservation so why not just get it.

Look under resident land owners. The association you're talking about probably has lake rights in the deed or something.

I did look there. It says that

"A resident landowner primarily engaged in farming (including lessees and members of their immediate families) when fishing on farm lands they are occupying and cultivating"

doesn't need a license.

Reading that doesn't say to me that I don't need a license just because I got the landowner's permission.

Thanks everyone.

If I read that right my nephew, only 9 yrs old, doesn't need one correct?

Thanks everyone.

If I read that right my nephew, only 9 yrs old, doesn't need one correct?

Correct, under 16 years old no license needed.

I did look there. It says that

"A resident landowner primarily engaged in farming (including lessees and members of their immediate families) when fishing on farm lands they are occupying and cultivating"

doesn't need a license.

Reading that doesn't say to me that I don't need a license just because I got the landowner's permission.

http://newyorkstatefishing.com/article/new-york-fishing-license/

Does the underage fisher have his/her own limit? Here they do and people don't like it because parents will take their kids more for the limit than exposing the child to the sport in the right way.

Here are some suckers running up the ditch to spawn not all that far from one of the spots I hunt ducks. A guy I was talking to reached in a grabbed one with his hand and his dog was running in the ditch and grabbing them out of the water. I told some buddies and one of them netted a bunch and I asked for three for Channel Catfish bait. They love suckers first thing in the season. I don't scoop them as I don't like them canned/pickled or smoked buts lots of people do.

Years ago, I fished a fly-in trip out of Hornepayne Ontario, and took a walk up the inlet stream to the lake we were fishing. The bottom of the stream was covered by a layer of sucker eggs several inches deep in spots. That was just before I noticed the bear tracks along the bank which must have been from black bears fishing for suckers...... probably without a license.

I walked out a little noisier than I walked in.......

Ducky.... yes they have to abide by the rules and limits set by the DEC.

Edited by hsif

One other comment on needing a license ...

If your nephew is 9yo he doesn't need a license.  BUT, if YOU assist him in ANY WAY in fishing then YOU need a license.  Helping him could be attaching a lure or bait, helping him cast, removing the fish from the hook, etc.  It can be touchy.  And usually the DEC officers don't just come up to you.  They watch for a period of time so when they do approach you they already know if you were helping.

Who's all heading out for the LOC Derby?

This high water is going to put a real kink into my father's and my routine. It's over the bank at his place on Sandy Creek, so I don't think we'll be able to keep the boat in the water.

Who's all heading out for the LOC Derby?

This high water is going to put a real kink into my father's and my routine. It's over the bank at his place on Sandy Creek, so I don't think we'll be able to keep the boat in the water.

The high water all along the south shore is crazy. Lots of folks that have seen way more time along the lake than I are saying they've never seen Lake O this high. Lots of damage.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.