Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

I see flies, a deep diving crankbait, a top water popper, 3 flatfishes, a couple Roostertail spinners, a Panther Martin spinner, a spoon, and a Rapala shallow running crankbait. All of it is legit. Not sure how you are going to fish with those flies though. Very specialized equipment needed there.

Get some rubber curly tailed bodies for those jig heads. the big name brand is Mister Twister but I buy the non-name branded ones. White, yellow, and black are good colors to start with. They are dirt cheap.

You've got a mix of deep diving, shallow, and top water in there. All have their place.

The spinners might be tough to use with that spin caster. Spin casting reels have real low gear ratios so you may have to crank like hell to get the spinner blade a spinnin'. A modern spinning reel has a much faster gear ratio so it'll be easier to work the spinners properly.

Honestly, use those jig heads and curly tail soft bodies alot. They will pretty much catch anything, and they are very versatile in how you can use them. Fish them slow with little twitches as you reel in to work the bottom, retrieve faster to get them running more shallow, or jig them vertically. Everything from sunfish to bass to trout will get interested in them.

Awesome. I had no clue what those were for. :blush:

Is my head in the right spot with line? Should I be doing anything with leaders?

Is my head in the right spot with line? Should I be doing anything with leaders?

No need for leaders.  Typically, I'd spool up both with 6lb test.  If you were picking up an ultra light rod I'd definitely drop to 4lb.  But there is no harm in 4lb test line in a medium weight rod/reel set up. And for fishing the upper Genny in Monroe co. I doubt you'll feel the need for heavier line anyway.  Other than carp, there's nothing in that part of the Genny that is going to unduly tax 4lb line.

The 4lb line should make it easier to cast that little Panther Martin spinner.  They are very light which makes them hard to cast with anything but very light weight rods and line.

This is what they look like properly rigged.

grubtail_edited-1.jpg

No need for leaders. Typically, I'd spool up both with 6lb test. If you were picking up an ultra light rod I'd definitely drop to 4lb. But there is no harm in 4lb test line in a medium weight rod/reel set up. And for fishing the upper Genny in Monroe co. I doubt you'll feel the need for heavier line anyway. Other than carp, there's nothing in that part of the Genny that is going to unduly tax 4lb line.

The 4lb line should make it easier to cast that little Panther Martin spinner. They are very light which makes them hard to cast with anything but very light weight rods and line.

This is what they look like properly rigged.

grubtail_edited-1.jpg

Awesome. Now I feel like I'm ready to go to the store.

Put some 6lb Trilene XL on the spincaster. This thing definitely needed new line. Might go out to the pond here and throw a few just to see what it's like now. 

Checked out the new Field and Stream store here yesterday. Surprisingly, better prices than Dick's. I paid a whole dollar less for the 60 piece Mister Twister 3" mixed pack at Field and Stream. 

I didn't particularly like any of the spinning reel combos at either place. Will probably check out Gander Mountain and Walmart today. 

Looking forward to Bass Pro coming to Victor soon. 

It's really really really nice. Their bait and tackle section was mind bending.

If you're fishing ponds, you might consider getting some offset hooks and some bullet weights (Texas rig). The jig heads and Mr. Twisters are good for bigger more open water with no seaweed, but for smaller water with lots of plants, it's nice to have a weedless setup. And depending on how big the pond is, the Senko worms with that light line, you might not even need the bullet weight to get the bait where you want it.

If you're fishing ponds, you might consider getting some offset hooks and some bullet weights (Texas rig). The jig heads and Mr. Twisters are good for bigger more open water with no seaweed, but for smaller water with lots of plants, it's nice to have a weedless setup. And depending on how big the pond is, the Senko worms with that light line, you might not even need the bullet weight to get the bait where you want it.

I don't plan to fish ponds too much. I hate catching sunfish all day long. Little f*ckers. 

But I'll keep that in mind if I find myself planning to hit some smaller ponds. 

I don't plan to fish ponds too much. I hate catching sunfish all day long. Little f*ckers. 

You'll catch some nice bass in small ponds. And a black Mr. Twister on a setup like weave pictured is like crack to them. That or a top water popper On a small pond is some really fun fishing.

You'll catch some nice bass in small ponds. And a black Mr. Twister on a setup like weave pictured is like crack to them. That or a top water popper On a small pond is some really fun fishing.

I don't think our little pond has any bass, but you never know. There's plenty of food for them. I've never seen anyone pull anything good out of it. 

The worms and hooks Swamp referred to are too big for you to catch sunfish with.  Those are bass catchers.  Most stocked ponds have bass to control the sunfish population.

Senko-Texas-Style.jpg

The proper hooks for them look like this:

picasso-pro-x-hook-001.jpg

Another example:

texasrigwhite.jpg

The worms and hooks Swamp referred to are too big for you to catch sunfish with.  Those are bass catchers.  Most stocked ponds have bass to control the sunfish population.

Senko-Texas-Style.jpg

The proper hooks for them look like this:

picasso-pro-x-hook-001.jpg

Another example:

texasrigwhite.jpg

I can tell you one thing. There is no shortage of Yamamoto bait at Field and Stream  :lol:

PS: You don't just cast them out and reel them in.  You cast them to a weed edge, or structure, let them sink, and twitch your rod tip to "walk" them in.  Try to not have much slack in your line.  Alot of times you'll know the fish has taken the bait because the line will suddenly twitch or move.  Lift the rod quickly and set the hook.  They will drop the bait quickly once they realize it isn't food.

PS: You don't just cast them out and reel them in.  You cast them to a weed edge, or structure, let them sink, and twitch your rod tip to "walk" them in.  Try to not have much slack in your line.  Alot of times you'll know the fish has taken the bait because the line will suddenly twitch or move.  Lift the rod quickly and set the hook.  They will drop the bait quickly once they realize it isn't food.

:thumbsup:

I can tell you one thing. There is no shortage of Yamamoto bait at Field and Stream  :lol:

That stuff works.  Ponds, lakes, rivers.  Bass magnets, they are.

I had a fishing guide in the 1000 Islands introduce me to the Senko about four years ago. Weave you are absolutely right both the Smallies and Largemouths love them.

Got the spinning rod and reel combo I wanted at Gander Mountain today. Shakespeare is doing these fish specific setups and they've got one for trout which will make a nice lightweight counterpart to my heavier and clunkier spincast. 7' Ultra-light action. Put 4lb Trilene XL on it. This setup is probably staying in Rochester while the spincast spends its time going back and forth to Buffalo in my car.  

Another note about using plastics. If your worm gets beat up and you want to get a new one, don't throw the old one in the water. Put it in your pocket and throw it out when you get home. Even though they say they are biodegradable, they are not biodegradable in the lifespan of a fish. They can't digest them and they end up dying because they can't put actual food in their stomachs.

Plastics in the bellies of fish is becoming a real issue.

Another note about using plastics. If your worm gets beat up and you want to get a new one, don't throw the old one in the water. Put it in your pocket and throw it out when you get home. Even though they say they are biodegradable, they are not biodegradable in the lifespan of a fish. They can't digest them and they end up dying because they can't put actual food in their stomachs.

Plastics in the bellies of fish is becoming a real issue.

Absolutely. I don't really like using fake worms. I want to use spinners more than anything but the fake worms are a necessary evil if you can't get live bait every time you go out.

It's why I always used hot dogs :blush:

My son...

He's 2-3/4.  When he saw the little fishing pole, designed for youngsters, he knew it was for him.

FLASHBACK:  I had planned on going fishing with him anyway, and we enjoyed looking for worms together, because turning over rocks is fun.  Like a new planet, every turn.  He had a little hand digger that he'd scrape beneath each rock.  Every worm we found, we were excited.  Tell you what, I even got excited about slugs and grubs, but the slugs aren't worth the pickin'.

When he saw that pole, he was into fishing.  Grandparents, you should stock the old short pole in your fishing arsenal, because it hooks 2-3 year olds, big time.  You see, to him, there's a baby rod, a mommy rod, and a daddy rod.

He spent a lot of time just practicing casting with a bare bobber.   :wub:

He'd cast the thing over the porch rail and pretend to catch everything under the sun.

I caught a beautiful butterfly!  (We'll put it in the bucket and throw it on the grill)

I caught a spider! (We'll put it in the bucket and throw it on the grill​)

The ironic thing is, that the Sunfish are absolutely the best eating.  Their only good for two upper back filets (see Youtube, of course), but they are about the best tasting fish you can eat.  

Bass are more fun to reel in, and bigger, but they aren't worth the cleaning and cooking.

How much difference is there between a sunfish, rock bass, and a bluegill  ?

Sunfish is a generic name to the family of fish that include bluegills and rock bass..  A rock bass is more closely related to small and large mouth bass than bluegills.

Decent chart here:  http://fishandboat.com/anglerboater/2003/ja03angler/sunfishtree.pdf

and more info:  http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7022.html

My son...

He's 2-3/4.  When he saw the little fishing pole, designed for youngsters, he knew it was for him.

FLASHBACK:  I had planned on going fishing with him anyway, and we enjoyed looking for worms together, because turning over rocks is fun.  Like a new planet, every turn.  He had a little hand digger that he'd scrape beneath each rock.  Every worm we found, we were excited.  Tell you what, I even got excited about slugs and grubs, but the slugs aren't worth the pickin'.

When he saw that pole, he was into fishing.  Grandparents, you should stock the old short pole in your fishing arsenal, because it hooks 2-3 year olds, big time.  You see, to him, there's a baby rod, a mommy rod, and a daddy rod.

He spent a lot of time just practicing casting with a bare bobber.   :wub:

He'd cast the thing over the porch rail and pretend to catch everything under the sun.

I caught a beautiful butterfly!  (We'll put it in the bucket and throw it on the grill)

I caught a spider! (We'll put it in the bucket and throw it on the grill​)

The ironic thing is, that the Sunfish are absolutely the best eating.  Their only good for two upper back filets (see Youtube, of course), but they are about the best tasting fish you can eat.  

Bass are more fun to reel in, and bigger, but they aren't worth the cleaning and cooking.

+1, well said on all counts. 

Sunfish is a generic name to the family of fish that include bluegills and rock bass..  A rock bass is more closely related to small and large mouth bass than bluegills.

Decent chart here:  http://fishandboat.com/anglerboater/2003/ja03angler/sunfishtree.pdf

and more info:  http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7022.html

Thank you for that.

I guess the pumpkinseed was what I always called a *sunfish* and always threw back, but rock bass a bluegill where *keepers*.

Now I know they are all keepers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.