Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

Jeez.  I just came up from the basement.  Curiosity got the better of me and I went looking to see if there was any fishing equipment still boxed up after our move 17 years ago.  And I hit the mother lode.  I found equipment that I don't remember having, all of my fly tying and spinner making materials, hell I found a never used, still in the original box (yes, they put them in boxes ~20 years ago) Mitchell 308 ultra-lite spinning reel.  Price tag indicated $46.99!  From Laux Sporting goods no less!  Man, the original Mitchell reel design was the bomb!  Still have and use my 30+ year old my mid sized model 300.  And now I have its little brother to use.  I found a box with close to 20 Blue Fox and Panther Martin spinners.  This was my stash from when I hit the trout streams regularly.  I can't believe I forgot about all this stuff.

I am actually stoked.  Time to get re-acquainted with Wiscoy, Genny, and East Koy again.

I'm an advocate for his and hers long guns.

Not long guns but,my wife and I used to shoot IHMSA competitions regularly back when western NY clubs used to host matches. 

Jeez.  I just came up from the basement.  Curiosity got the better of me and I went looking to see if there was any fishing equipment still boxed up after our move 17 years ago.  And I hit the mother lode.  I found equipment that I don't remember having, all of my fly tying and spinner making materials, hell I found a never used, still in the original box (yes, they put them in boxes ~20 years ago) Mitchell 308 ultra-lite spinning reel.  Price tag indicated $46.99!  From Laux Sporting goods no less!  Man, the original Mitchell reel design was the bomb!  Still have and use my 30+ year old my mid sized model 300.  And now I have its little brother to use.  I found a box with close to 20 Blue Fox and Panther Martin spinners.  This was my stash from when I hit the trout streams regularly.  I can't believe I forgot about all this stuff.

I am actually stoked.  Time to get re-acquainted with Wiscoy, Genny, and East Koy again.

Not long guns but,my wife and I used to shoot IHMSA competitions regularly back when western NY clubs used to host matches.

Congratulations Weave. The new Mitchell's are nice but the older ones are bullet proof. And those Panther Martins are gold. Tough to find the black tails and they are crack to trout. Tight lines.

Congratulations Weave. The new Mitchell's are nice but the older ones are bullet proof. And those Panther Martins are gold. Tough to find the black tails and they are crack to trout. Tight lines.

My wife is not happy.  I used to be addicted to the water.  That stopped just before my son was born.  About 3 years ago I started hitting the water again.  By Fall I may need an intervention.  Hopefully it waits until ice stops me from chasing steelhead.  :ph34r:

My wife is not happy.  I used to be addicted to the water.  That stopped just before my son was born.  About 3 years ago I started hitting the water again.  By Fall I may need an intervention.  Hopefully it waits until ice stops me from chasing steelhead.  :ph34r:

My girlfriend doesn't quite get my addiction to steelhead. Fortunately, I found the Gray Drake lodge on the Muskegon River. Run by Matt Supinski originally from WNY. She sips wine in front of the fire and I fish. Ice or no ice. Love that first run!

I see a lot of comments in here and in general about significant others not liking their menfolk going fishing. D4rk, consider it cool to go fish as long as you take me with you from time to time :)

Fun d4rksabre fishing story- we tried multiple times when out in the Daks a few years back. We were unsuccessful. The best moment was when we came upon a clear stream teeming with fish of varying sizes and types. 

"Jo, I could reach right in and grab one. Watch, it'll take like, 30 seconds tops". etc etc, more confident declarations of fishing aptitude.

Nope. Not a nibble. Which was all the more infuriating and hilarious since we could see them so clearly. 

I see a lot of comments in here and in general about significant others not liking their menfolk going fishing. D4rk, consider it cool to go fish as long as you take me with you from time to time :)

Fun d4rksabre fishing story- we tried multiple times when out in the Daks a few years back. We were unsuccessful. The best moment was when we came upon a clear stream teeming with fish of varying sizes and types. 

"Jo, I could reach right in and grab one. Watch, it'll take like, 30 seconds tops". etc etc, more confident declarations of fishing aptitude.

Nope. Not a nibble. Which was all the more infuriating and hilarious since we could see them so clearly. 

This is why I'm trying to learn how to actually fish. I want to take you fishing and we can have actual fun.  :blush:

This is why I'm trying to learn how to actually fish. I want to take you fishing and we can have actual fun.  :blush:

Trout are about the most challenging fish to catch.  Not surprised that you saw a stream teeming with fish and couldn't get any to hit.

Trout are about the most challenging fish to catch.  Not surprised that you saw a stream teeming with fish and couldn't get any to hit.

Been there, (not) done that. Infuriating. Best I can tell: If you don't have the right bait and tackle, or you're just there at the wrong time (spawning?), those suckers will ignore you.

d4rk,im still amazed by your Old Forge story. My family has a camp on that Lake. We would catch around seven or eight THOUSAND fish per hour fishing at night all summer long.

Pole, line, hook, worm = fish!

You may be cursed, dude.

d4rk,im still amazed by your Old Forge story. My family has a camp on that Lake. We would catch around seven or eight THOUSAND fish per hour fishing at night all summer long.

Pole, line, hook, worm = fish!

You may be cursed, dude.

The mistake we made was not just using f*cking worms like simpletons. Real damn worms. That was all we needed. 

Ya'll have inspired me. Gonna grab my tackle from my parents on Sunday, then probably head out Monday or Tuesday to Squaw (Unity) Island and take a shot at some small mouth. I haven't caught anything bigger than a perch in probably 10 years, so that'll be fun. 

Ya'll have inspired me. Gonna grab my tackle from my parents on Sunday, then probably head out Monday or Tuesday to Squaw (Unity) Island and take a shot at some small mouth. I haven't caught anything bigger than a perch in probably 10 years, so that'll be fun. 

:thumbsup:

All true rod and gun clubs have patches or buttons with their insignia on them.  It allows other members to know that a person hunting or fishing on club property is there rightfully.  plus they look great in the rear window of a truck.  We need an insignia,logo patch whatever.  Perhaps you can "motivate" your significant other to aid in this project.  :w00t:

All true rod and gun clubs have patches or buttons with their insignia on them.  It allows other members to know that a person hunting or fishing on club property is there rightfully.  plus they look great in the rear window of a truck.  We need an insignia,logo patch whatever.  Perhaps you can "motivate" your significant other to aid in this project.  :w00t:

I like this idea  B-)

:flirt:

Digging into my gear today to see what the hell I've got. 

Rod and reel combo is an old Shakespeare Synergy Spincaster. 6' Medium Action casting rod. I don't think I'm going to abandon this thing, but I'm going to load it with some 6lb line and use it as my heavier duty setup. If I head out to Unity Island on Tuesday with sabills this is probably what I'll bring.

I think I'm going to equip myself with a spinning reel combo that I can load with 4lb line to fish the Genesee near my house. 

I threw out a lot of crap today. My little tackle box was just full of useless stuff. But...I do have some good tackle mixed in with some bad. Here's a little snapshot. Pick out the legit ones...

RDHMM9H.jpg

I see flies, a deep diving crankbait, a top water popper, 3 flatfishes, a couple Roostertail spinners, a Panther Martin spinner, a spoon, and a Rapala shallow running crankbait.   All of it is legit.  Not sure how you are going to fish with those flies though.  Very specialized equipment needed there.

Get some rubber curly tailed bodies for those jig heads. the big name brand is Mister Twister but I buy the non-name branded ones. White, yellow, and black are good colors to start with.  They are dirt cheap.

You've got a mix of deep diving, shallow, and top water in there.  All have their place.  

The spinners might be tough to use with that spin caster. Spin casting reels have real low gear ratios so you may have to crank like hell to get the spinner blade a spinnin'.  A modern spinning reel has a much faster gear ratio so it'll be easier to work the spinners properly.

Honestly, use those jig heads and curly tail soft bodies alot. They will pretty much catch anything, and they are very versatile in how you can use them.  Fish them slow with little twitches as you reel in to work the bottom, retrieve faster to get them running more shallow, or jig them vertically.  Everything from sunfish to bass to trout will get interested in them.  

Edited by weave

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.