Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

Man I don't want anything to do with a smart phone while I'm fishing.  B-)

Cool, I'll have to see what they have. 

Tell you what, when you are ready to go, give me a heads up.  If it works with my schedule I'll meet you out there and see what we can catch.  I'll bring everything we'll need.

Tell you what, when you are ready to go, give me a heads up.  If it works with my schedule I'll meet you out there and see what we can catch.  I'll bring everything we'll need.

Intriguing. 

What's my price range on an acceptable rod and reel? Should it put one together from separate parts or buy a combo? I think I might just pull the trigger before the weekend. 

Intriguing. 

What's my price range on an acceptable rod and reel? Should it put one together from separate parts or buy a combo? I think I might just pull the trigger before the weekend. 

Combos are fine.  It's been awhile since I've priced out a basic combo but I would think somewhere in the $50-75 would get it done.

If you are going to buy something soon, buy an outfit like I described above.  It will be a workable jack of all trades.  Then, if you find that you prefer one kind of fishing over others (for example small streams for trout vs. ponds and docks for bass) you can get a set up that is more closely suited to that kind of fishing.

For example, if we met up at Oatka I would bring along two sets of ultralight rods and reels.  They cast small lures and baits more easily and make catching small fish seem like you are catching larger fish.  If I were taking you to Lake Ontario when the steelhead are running I'd bring along a much different rod and reel.

Combos are fine. It's been awhile since I've priced out a basic combo but I would think somewhere in the $50-75 would get it done.

If you are going to buy something soon, buy an outfit like I described above. It will be a workable jack of all trades. Then, if you find that you prefer one kind of fishing over others (for example small streams for trout vs. ponds and docks for bass) you can get a set up that is more closely suited to that kind of fishing.

For example, if we met up at Oatka I would bring along two sets of ultralight rods and reels. They cast small lures and baits more easily and make catching small fish seem like you are catching larger fish. If I were taking you to Lake Ontario when the steelhead are running I'd bring along a much different rod and reel.

Cool info.

Okay, so say I actually catch something and it's a keeper. What do I need to do to get it home and eat it?

Cool info.

Okay, so say I actually catch something and it's a keeper. What do I need to do to get it home and eat it?

Get it cold quickly.  If I am catching to take home I bring a small soft sided cooler with ice packs in it.  Fish go in the cooler and cleaned when I get home.

Best. Thread. Ever.

D4rk, that part of the Genny is slow and murky. I think that you would catch bullhead and carp there (not great for eating or telling your friends what you caught, but both can be really fun to catch).

I just bought a pole that was the lowest price before being embarrassed ($25) and the reel that I have I paid $9.99 10 years ago (30 years ago it would have cost $100). There are very few place were I go where I feel I can't use that setup.

Look up, I found the DEC info for where I'm fishing. Looks like Brown Trout. 

So let's talk about bait. What should I think about using and what should I avoid like the plague? 

And what's good eatin' for brown trout size wise? 

If you are going to fish Oatka I would suggest you check the regs closely.  Depending on the stretch of water you fish you could be in a catch-n-release section as well as a section that doesn't allow bait.  There are also size limitations if keeping fish.  It's one of the reasons catch and release is so popular - a lot less hassle than trying to remember whether you can legally keep a fish and it helps preserve the resource too.  FWIW some of the Oatka is considered "blue ribbon" water and some of the best trout fishing in NYS.  I don't fish all that often but when I do I primarily fly fish and the Oatka is one of my go-to streams.

I also want to add that I have used my Walmart Theory of fishing to great results.

If you go to an area that you are unfamiliar with, go to the local Walmart fishing section (they are usually really good) and buy the pre-loaded mini tackle boxes filled with an assortment of lures. They tell you what they will catch and give you at least one of something that will work.

My theory is that a big corporation like Walmart has full teams of people to determine what products are moving. If something doesn't sell, they take it off the shelf. So, basically, what you are seeing on the shelves is what is working in that region. You'll notice that the all-in-ones in Niagara Falls aren't the same as the ones in Canandaigua or Willmington, NC.

I haven't been disappointed by them yet.

Edited by SwampD

Best. Thread. Ever.

D4rk, that part of the Genny is slow and murky. I think that you would catch bullhead and carp there (not great for eating or telling your friends what you caught, but both can be really fun to catch).

I just bought a pole that was the lowest price before being embarrassed ($25) and the reel that I have I paid $9.99 10 years ago (30 years ago it would have cost $100). There are very few place were I go where I feel I can't use that setup.

Check his edit.  He's actually looking to fish Oatka.

You'll need enough ice to get them to Canandaigua, at which point I will clean and prepare them for you, and possibly even allow you to taste some of it.

You know trout fishing, whiskey, and cigars all kind of go hand in hand, right?  You are missing out.

If you are going to fish Oatka I would suggest you check the regs closely.  Depending on the stretch of water you fish you could be in a catch-n-release section as well as a section that doesn't allow bait.  There are also size limitations if keeping fish.  It's one of the reasons catch and release is so popular - a lot less hassle than trying to remember whether you can legally keep a fish and it helps preserve the resource too.  FWIW some of the Oatka is considered "blue ribbon" water and some of the best trout fishing in NYS.  I don't fish all that often but when I do I primarily fly fish and the Oatka is one of my go-to streams.

Good to know, I'll look into it deeper. 

I also want to add that I have used my Walmart Theory of fishing to great results.

If you go to an area that you are unfamiliar with, go to the local Walmart fishing section (they are usually really good) and buy the pre-loaded mini tackle boxes filled with an assortment of lures. They tell you what they will catch and give you at least one of something that will work.

My theory is that a big corporation like Walmart has full teams of people to determine what products are moving. If something doesn't sell, they take it off the shelf. So, basically, what you are seeing on the shelves is what is working in that region. You'll notice that the all-in-ones in Niagara Falls aren't the same as the ones in Canandaigua or Willmington, NC.

I haven't been disappointed by them yet.

Now that's an interesting idea. I bet you're right. 

gottit.

I think it's Oatka but it might actually be just a bit north on the Genny from where Oatka feeds in. I know there's a NYS DEC marked spot right under the bridge on Scottsville West Henrietta Rd. There's also one on Rt. 251 just south of there. 

The Buffalo area is just about the fishiest place on earth! The smallmouth bass fishing in Lake Erie is unreal. Walleye fishing in Lake Erie is very very good, and Lake Ontario and the LO tribs have world class salmon and trout fishing..... but..... most of the best fishing for most of the year is accessible by boat. The upper and lower Niagara river is a tremendous fishery! Some of the best Musky fishing in the country is in the upper river......I live in Rochester, but to fill my freezer with walleyes we travel to Sturgeon Point and launch/fish there.... 35 walleyes in the last 3 trips.... not really cost effective considering all the expense, but fun and tasty! Buffalo is Hockey Fish Heaven!

:lol:

So what's the attraction of the open spinning reel? Is it just easier to service when it gets screwed up? I was always adamantly against them as a kid for no particular reason. I guess I didn't like the look of em.  :blush:

The resistance of the cap on a spin casting reel reduces distance.  Although in many cases distance is overrated, as in most things accuracy is more important.  I have Shimano spinning reels that I use for pike, muskie and walleye.  However, I am a convert to fly fishing and feel it is the most fun and efficient way to catch fish in moving water.  NY is blessed with some great trout water including the Genessee from the PA line to Belmont.  Catherines Creek, Wiscoy, Ischua and others are great trout water.  The Black River is also a dream.  PA though has some of the best trout fishing east of the Mississippi.  And those of you in the Rochester area can catch steelhead and Atlantic Salmon in the Genny.  Remember trout don't live in ugly places.

Look up, I found the DEC info for where I'm fishing. Looks like Brown Trout. 

So let's talk about bait. What should I think about using and what should I avoid like the plague? 

And what's good eatin' for brown trout size wise? 

Personal taste varies, but trout really don't have much of a taste per se.  The big lake run browns are best smoked (over say 6 lbs.)  There are some brook trout streams in and around Rochester with brook trout in them.  Any size over the limit is good eating.  Brook Trout are not actually trout but from the char family and are great pan fare.    

Check his edit.  He's actually looking to fish Oatka.

You know trout fishing, whiskey, and cigars all kind of go hand in hand, right?  You are missing out.

I would gladly sit quietly on the banks drinking a whiskey and smoking a cigar and listening to the water roll by. I've got nothing against fishing, but I'd just assume sit quietly.

I would gladly sit quietly on the banks drinking a whiskey and smoking a cigar and listening to the water roll by. I've got nothing against fishing, but I'd just assume sit quietly.

Exactly. Fishing just muddies up the experience on relaxing in nature. It's like golf as a walk outside or a hike. Maybe, but you can better appreciate your surroundings when you're not distracted.

Edited by MattPie

I haven't gone fishing since before I was old enough to drive. Damn I miss it. My dad would take my brothers and I out on Oneida Lake and I'd catch walleye all day. I always caught the most fish but my older brother always caught the biggest. I get 4 walleye and he'd get a 55 inch Northern.

I've never fished for anything other than walleye, and they aren't exactly plentiful in the rivers of northeast Pennsylvania. I guess I'll have to learn to fish for bass.

My kid went out fishing with a friend last year. He tied a line and hook to a sapling and he landed a 3 pound smallmouth! He's already a better woodsman than his dad.

On the hunting side of it. I've only ever been a target shooter. I loved sitting in a stand with my bow shooting at deer targets. I would do this all summer long with my uncle and my cousins. We always had a ton of fun.

When we were old enough for guns, my uncle would take us out to his friends land and we'd shoot gallon milk cartons with shotguns. As a teen, I had a new respect for what that weapon could do to something after I felt it's recoil and saw the milk carton explode!

I still enjoy target shooting, but cost and availability of ammo is a hindrance.

Edited by ubkev

On the hunting side of it. I've only ever been a target shooter. I loved sitting in a stand with my bow shooting at deer targets. I would do this all summer long with my uncle and my cousins. We always had a ton of fun.

When we were old enough for guns, my uncle would take us out to his friends land and we'd shoot gallon milk cartons with shotguns. As a teen, I had a new respect for what that weapon could do to something after I felt it's recoil and saw the milk carton explode!

I still enjoy target shooting, but cost and availability of ammo is a hindrance.

I'm with you on the target shooting. I used to enjoy going into the woods behind my parents house with my dad and his .22 and plinking for fun. My wife just shot a real gun for the first time a couple months ago and saw how much fun it was. Someday I'll probably pick up a shotgun and a rifle of some sort, probably just for trap and target shooting. 

That is a fantastic fish story, PA.

He is not exaggerating the size or tenacity of the osprey. I had a too close encounter with one at Little Tupper years ago in a kayak. I looked up after the WHOOSH. I saw it circling around for another run at me. I dropped the rod in the water and grabbed the paddle. It kept at me for a good three minutes. I couldn't even paddle away because it kept circling behind me. I had to keep turning the boat to get a whack at him. I guess I was too close to a nest. I found out how poor a weapon a kayak paddle is that day.

I'm with you on the target shooting. I used to enjoy going into the woods behind my parents house with my dad and his .22 and plinking for fun. My wife just shot a real gun for the first time a couple months ago and saw how much fun it was. Someday I'll probably pick up a shotgun and a rifle of some sort, probably just for trap and target shooting.

I just picked up a Mossberg 702 plinkster a couple of months ago. It was a great deal at $119 brand new. My wife expressed interest in shooting so I got it for her. I figured the 30/30 would be too much for her. She hasn't shot it yet but I've put a few bricks through it. What a fun little gun to shoot. I got some saw horses and set up a cute little plinking range. All metal targets hanging by rope in a row. No need to head down range at all. No need to set the cans back up either. If she ever decides to try it I may have to get a second one for me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.