Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

Someday I'll get into fishing. I should start looking for someplace around me in the Buffalo I can just fish off the bank. I have a couple rods and a tackle box, so on some morning when the wife is busy I could pretty easily slip away and just fish for a while.

I'm curious what the more experienced fishermen here use for their setups. I don't really know much about fishing beyond putting a line in the water.

Took some of my younger ones fishin' last week at a fishing hole that was, by all appearances and reports, a sunfish/rock bass hangout - the idea being, let's catch a bunch without concern for getting a big one.

Well, 15 minutes in, the littlest kid reels in a tiny little thing, and a frickin' MONSTER bass follows it up to the surface and creates an explosion at the water's surface. We didn't land it, of course. And I could not tell whether the big fish actually hit the hook, but there was no little fish and no bait on the hook when we retrieved it. Holy smokes. Such thrills. That incident alone was worth it.

And we did catch a bunch of fish -- some pretty decent sized sunnies, too.

Took some of my younger ones fishin' last week at a fishing hole that was, by all appearances and reports, a sunfish/rock bass hangout - the idea being, let's catch a bunch without concern for getting a big one.

Well, 15 minutes in, the littlest kid reels in a tiny little thing, and a frickin' MONSTER bass follows it up to the surface and creates an explosion at the water's surface. We didn't land it, of course. And I could not tell whether the big fish actually hit the hook, but there was no little fish and no bait on the hook when we retrieved it. Holy smokes. Such thrills. That incident alone was worth it.

I think going out just with the idea of catching anything is great when you have kids. That's what my dad always did with my brother and I. We used to fish at Tow Path Park on Niagara St when we were kids. Put a big sinker and a minnow on there and just drop the line straight down. 

I think I'd like to catch and keep fish these days. I wouldn't mind trying to catch dinner on Sunday mornings. 

Someday I'll get into fishing. I should start looking for someplace around me in the Buffalo I can just fish off the bank. I have a couple rods and a tackle box, so on some morning when the wife is busy I could pretty easily slip away and just fish for a while.

Also, you're like a 30 minute walk from Broderick Park on Squaw Island or whatever they're calling it. Go fish the pier or the canal. We used to fish the pier when I was a kid. 

I think going out just with the idea of catching anything is great when you have kids. That's what my dad always did with my brother and I. We used to fish at Tow Path Park on Niagara St when we were kids. Put a big sinker and a minnow on there and just drop the line straight down. 

I think I'd like to catch and keep fish these days. I wouldn't mind trying to catch dinner on Sunday mornings. 

My parents used to take us to Tillman park in Clarence and "fish". You could stick a  piece of hotdog on a hook and the little fish that were in there would go CRAZY for it. It looked like pirahna's going after a cow. They'd bite on, you'd real 'em in, and toss 'em back. They wouldn't even get hooked, they'd just be suckered on to there. Hours of fun as an 8 year old.

Also, you're like a 30 minute walk from Broderick Park on Squaw Island or whatever they're calling it. Go fish the pier or the canal. We used to fish the pier when I was a kid. 

I see people fishing out there all the time, I should do that. I could just stop on my way home from work, haha.

Edited by sabills

My parents used to take us to Tillman park in Clarence and "fish". You could stick a  piece of hotdog on a hook and the little fish that were in there would go CRAZY for it. It looked like pirahna's going after a cow. They'd bite on, you'd real 'em in, and toss 'em back. They wouldn't even get hooked, they'd just be suckered on to there. Hours of fun as an 8 year old.

I see people fishing out there all the time, I should do that. I could just stop on my way home from work, haha.

Exactly. You're actually in a great spot for fishing. If I remember correctly there's a bait shop right next to Resurgence that is pretty good. 

I'm curious what the more experienced fishermen here use for their setups. I don't really know much about fishing beyond putting a line in the water.

Any 6-7' medium weight rod and spinning reel loaded with 6lb test line will work more than adequately for 90% of the fishing around western NY.  It may not be ideal for any of it, but it certainly will work just fine.  I'd bet that the vast majority of fish caught in the area are caught on a set up like I just described.  It will work for drowning bait, casting crankbaits, jigging, tossing spinners at trout, etc. etc.  No need for anything fancy unless you are really getting into a specific form of fishing.

Oh, fishing and hunting. Never mind. teehee

I have a whopper of a story. May Jack Eichel come down with Jack Eichel's Disease and never play a game for the Sabres if it's not true. I took my 16-year-old nephew fishing at the Marilla Reservoir just outside Bradford. Beautiful spot. He was reeling in a smallmouth bass. He almost had it out of the water; he was letting it tire itself out, whatever that means in fishing parlance. I don't fish. I just watch.

I was talking to a guy on a bridge overlooking my nephew just below us and we turned away from him for a second when he shouted. We turned back to see an osprey attacking the fish, all within an arm's length of my nephew. This very impressive bird of prey, probably two feet tall, took the fish, the hook, the fly, the kitchen sink, and flew away, showing off its five-foot wing span. My nephew looked like the father from A Christmas Story after the dogs carried the turkey away. He was just dumbstruck. We all were. Quite a smart bird. We figure it was up in a tree watching the scene, biding its time.

The night before, same spot, a bald eagle sat way up in a pine tree for 10 minutes, intently watching a beaver swim around. I had time to job back around the reservoir and tell my nephew to come look. He wasn't interested. He's seen eagles before. The moral of the story is: either you come to the bird prey of prey or it comes to you.

Edited by PASabreFan

I can't even begin to count the number of places to fish within a 20 minute drive of Buffalo.  To the north, the Niagara Rive gorge has lots of access and great fishing year round.  20 minutes to the south Eighteen Mile Creek has a fantastic fall-to-spring trout run, and bass in the warm weather months.  Of course, there is the entire waterfront from downtown to Isleview park  in Tonawanda.  The Erie Canal in Tonawanda also has really good bass fishing.  Little Buffalo Creek in Elma is stocked with trout each Spring.  Tift Farm is great place to get started.

Oh man, western NY does NOT lack for fishing opportunities.

I have a whopper of a story. May Jack Eichel come down with Jack Eichel's Disease and never play a game for the Sabres if it's not true. I took my 16-year-old nephew fishing at the Marilla Reservoir just outside Bradford. Beautiful spot. He was reeling in a smallmouth bass. He almost had it out of the water; he was letting it tire itself out, whatever that means in fishing parlance. I don't fish. I just watch.

I was talking to a guy on a bridge overlooking my nephew just below us and we turned away from him for a second when he shouted. We turned back to see an osprey attacking the fish, all within an arm's length of my nephew. This very impressive bird of prey, probably a foot and a half tall, took the fish, the hook, the fly, the kitchen sink, and flew away, showing off its five-foot wing span. My nephew looked like the father from A Christmas Story after the dogs carried the turkey away. He was just dumbstruck. We all were. Quite a smart bird. We figure it was up in a tree watching the scene, biding its time.

The night before, same spot, a bald eagle sat way up in a pine tree for 10 minutes, intently watching a beaver swim around. I had time to job back around the reservoir and tell my nephew to come look. He wasn't interested. He's seen eagles before. The moral of the story is: either you come to the bird prey of prey or it comes to you.

:lol:

Any 6-7' medium weight rod and spinning reel loaded with 6lb test line will work more than adequately for 90% of the fishing around western NY.  It may not be ideal for any of it, but it certainly will work just fine.  I'd bet that the vast majority of fish caught in the area are caught on a set up like I just described.  It will work for drowning bait, casting crankbaits, jigging, tossing spinners at trout, etc. etc.  No need for anything fancy unless you are really getting into a specific form of fishing.

So what's the attraction of the open spinning reel? Is it just easier to service when it gets screwed up? I was always adamantly against them as a kid for no particular reason. I guess I didn't like the look of em.  :blush:

I can't even begin to count the number of places to fish within a 20 minute drive of Buffalo.  To the north, the Niagara Rive gorge has lots of access and great fishing year round.  20 minutes to the south Eighteen Mile Creek has a fantastic fall-to-spring trout run, and bass in the warm weather months.  Of course, there is the entire waterfront from downtown to Isleview park  in Tonawanda.  The Erie Canal in Tonawanda also has really good bass fishing.  Little Buffalo Creek in Elma is stocked with trout each Spring.  Tift Farm is great place to get started.

Oh man, western NY does NOT lack for fishing opportunities.

I've heard we're becoming a destination for some of it, which is really cool. I've gotta grab my stuff from my parents and head out. I was going to get a license anyway because I'm heading up to the Adirondacks in a few weeks, so I might as well get a full year pass and get a jump on it.

I was talking to a guy on a bridge overlooking my nephew just below us and we turned away from him for a second when he shouted. We turned back to see an osprey attacking the fish, all within an arm's length of my nephew. This very impressive bird of prey, probably two feet tall, took the fish, the hook, the fly, the kitchen sink, and flew away, showing off its five-foot wing span. My nephew looked like the father from A Christmas Story after the dogs carried the turkey away. He was just dumbstruck. We all were. Quite a smart bird. We figure it was up in a tree watching the scene, biding its time.

Last month I "caught" a cormorant.  Diving, fish eating bird for those that don't know.  I was casting a lure out in Lake Ontario and one dove in after my lure, and grabbed it.  Fortunately he was able to free himself from the hooks.  I did NOT want to deal with that.

:lol:

So what's the attraction of the open spinning reel? Is it just easier to service when it gets screwed up? I was always adamantly against them as a kid for no particular reason. I guess I didn't like the look of em.  :blush:

You can cast further with them than with spin casting reels.  And the drags are usually better too.

Edited by weave

Last month I "caught" a cormorant.  Diving, fish eating bird for those that don't know.  I was casting a lure out in Lake Ontario and one dove in after my lure, and grabbed it.  Fortunately he was able to free himself from the hooks.  I did NOT want to deal with that.

You can cast further with them than with spin casting reels.  And the drags are usually better too.

So they're just a common sense better performer. Got it.  :P 

If I was going to be fishing somewhere like the Genesee, let's say right here at this access , what should I be expecting to fish for? 

Nevermind, I've got my answer: Brown Trout. 

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/pfroatkacreek.pdf

So they're just a common sense better performer. Got it.  :P 

If I was going to be fishing somewhere like the Genesee, let's say right here at this access , what should I be expecting to fish for? 

Warm water fish.  Bass.  Northern Pike.  Maybe panfsh (sunfish, rockbass, etc.).  I've heard that there are walleyes in the Genesee but they aren't common.  There is a creek emptying into the river a bit north of where you posted.  The mouth of that creek would be a great place to try if you can get to it.  Under the bridge, especially around the pilings might hold fish too.  The upper Genesee can be tough.  It is kind of murky, which makes things a bit more challenging.

Pro tip.  Don't use a bobber.  Use a sinker and get your bait on the bottom.  Most fish are on the river bed, not in the middle or top of the water column.  Yes, you will snag things and lose hooks and sinkers.  Buy lots of them.  If you ain't snaggin stuff, you ain't putting your bait where the fish are.

Edited by weave

Warm water fish.  Bass.  Northern Pike.  Maybe panfsh (sunfish, rockbass, etc.).  I've heard that there are walleyes in the Genesee but they aren't common.  There is a creek emptying into the river a bit north of where you posted.  The mouth of that creek would be a great place to try if you can get to it.  Under the bridge, especially around the pilings might hold fish too.  The upper Genesee can be tough.  It is kind of murky, which makes things a bit more challenging.

Pro tip.  Don't use a bobber.  Use a sinker and get your bait on the bottom.  Most fish are on the river bed, not in the middle or top of the water column.  Yes, you will snag things and lose hooks and sinkers.  Buy lots of them.  If you ain't snaggin stuff, you ain't putting your bait where the fish are.

Look up, I found the DEC info for where I'm fishing. Looks like Brown Trout. 

So let's talk about bait. What should I think about using and what should I avoid like the plague? 

And what's good eatin' for brown trout size wise? 

Look up, I found the DEC info for where I'm fishing. Looks like Brown Trout. 

So let's talk about bait. What should I think about using and what should I avoid like the plague? 

And what's good eatin' for brown trout size wise? 

I'm highly skeptical that you'll find any trout in that stretch of the Genesee.  Water is way too warm.

Bait...... there is some regulations regarding minnows now.  Look them up.  You can't transport them very far anymore.  They are trying to prevent the introduction of non-native species in alot of the waterways.  Nightcrawlers work for almost any species, including trout.  Salted minnows work for trout (they are dried and salted, not alive).  Crayfish will work for bass and walleyes.

As for eatin size, I think the NY regs limit to nothing under 9".  9" is kind of small for me but certainly taste good. There is no shame in keeping and eating a 9" fish. You won't find any lake run trout there because you are above the falls so too big won't be a concern.

Oh..... now I see your edit.  Your linked map showed the Genesee River but if you are fishing Oatka Creek, that is a whole different ball of wax.  Yes.  Trout.  Be aware, parts of Oatka Creek are no bait allowed.  Make sure you are in an area that allows bait.

If you are going to fish Oatka for trout go with small worms or salted minnows.

I'm highly skeptical that you'll find any trout in that stretch of the Genesee.  Water is way too warm.

Bait...... there is some regulations regarding minnows now.  Look them up.  You can't transport them very far anymore.  They are trying to prevent the introduction of non-native species in alot of the waterways.  Nightcrawlers work for almost any species, including trout.  Salted minnows work for trout (they are dried and salted, not alive).  Crayfish will work for bass and walleyes.

As for eatin size, I think the NY regs limit to nothing under 9".  9" is kind of small for me but certainly taste good. There is no shame in keeping and eating a 9" fish. You won't find any lake run trout there because you are above the falls so too big won't be a concern.

Oh..... now I see your edit.  Your linked map showed the Genesee River but if you are fishing Oatka Creek, that is a whole different ball of wax.  Yes.  Trout.  Be aware, parts of Oatka Creek are no bait allowed.  Make sure you are in an area that allows bait.

If you are going to fish Oatka for trout go with small worms or salted minnows.

I need like a little cheat sheet I can laminate and keep with me so I know what the hell I'm catching and what the rules are for keeping em. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.