Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I gotta find a friggin place to shoot preferably indoors. Haven’t gone to a range in 9 months. Sucks.

Even with good ventilation, I couldn't see myself in an indoor range right now.

Don't know what town you live in.  Are you aware that there are causal shooting lanes in the Tonawanda WMU near the Iroquois Wildlife Refuge?  Bartel road I think.  That place is a zoo when hunting season starts though.  After season it should be easy to get a lane.

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

Even with good ventilation, I couldn't see myself in an indoor range right now.

Don't know what town you live in.  Are you aware that there are causal shooting lanes in the Tonawanda WMU near the Iroquois Wildlife Refuge?  Bartel road I think.  That place is a zoo when hunting season starts though.  After season it should be easy to get a lane.

Hey thanks for the info. Excuse my ignorance,  but what is WMU? 

38 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Hey thanks for the info. Excuse my ignorance,  but what is WMU? 

Wildlife management unit.  State owned land managed for hunting and fishing.

Google up iroquios wildlife management unit and use satellite view on the map and you should see 5 or 6 shooting lanes along Bartel road.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

Wildlife management unit.  State owned land managed for hunting and fishing.

Google up iroquios wildlife management unit and use satellite view on the map and you should see 5 or 6 shooting lanes along Bartel road.

Lol Google street view is great.

FAC963E1-D024-4398-92A1-E8B519858F9C.thumb.png.774a4f074cf63548ac68300a78d2285d.png

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/21/2020 at 8:25 AM, Zamboni said:

Hmmm .... I considered that ... but the triggers juuuuust aren’t the same. And the dog laughing when I miss just pisses me off and ruins my concentration. Don’t need his drama.

I hunt primarily out of Lyndon Center and Hume, NY. But I occasionally get the seasonal permit for the backside of Letchworth, problem is I'm getting a bit old to pack out the meat if they run drone in to those deep ravines and runoff cuts. Arthritis showed up about a year ago on right foot and 2 fingers on hand. Suppose I should finally get that addressed. But this year, both bow and opening weekend for gun you can tell the DEC is going to have to take action on the nuisance tags to the farmers, between them and the heavy Amish presence appearing down in both Cattarugus and Alleghany counties the herds are getting mighty thin. Saw a small rack typical 6 point tonight, just let it roll 9n by as I'm hoping he helps bring some stability to the numbers.

10 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I hunt primarily out of Lyndon Center and Hume, NY. But I occasionally get the seasonal permit for the backside of Letchworth, problem is I'm getting a bit old to pack out the meat if they run drone in to those deep ravines and runoff cuts. Arthritis showed up about a year ago on right foot and 2 fingers on hand. Suppose I should finally get that addressed. But this year, both bow and opening weekend for gun you can tell the DEC is going to have to take action on the nuisance tags to the farmers, between them and the heavy Amish presence appearing down in both Cattarugus and Alleghany counties the herds are getting mighty thin. Saw a small rack typical 6 point tonight, just let it roll 9n by as I'm hoping he helps bring some stability to the numbers.

Ah ok. I don’t hunt. Just handgun shoot. 

tenor.gif

• Haha (+1) 4

• 7 months later...
12 hours ago, Weave said:

Bumped for @I-90 W

So to actually have some pics I caught these two 5 lb plus smallies on the Quabbin Reservoir in Massachusetts one on a red power worm the other on a purple power worm.... we thru everything I had at them non live bait til we went to power bait.  Only catch and release today.... 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I know the gun part is more about hunting, but I just got my pistol permit and looking for a 1st time pistol recommendations.  Probably won’t carry to start with, but would like something that would be good for target shooting, home safety and personal defense, but also compact enough if I decide to carry in the future, it would be a good choice

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I know the gun part is more about hunting, but I just got my pistol permit and looking for a 1st time pistol recommendations.  Probably won’t carry to start with, but would like something that would be good for target shooting, home safety and personal defense, but also compact enough if I decide to carry in the future, it would be a good choice

Such a personal choice there.  Hard to not choose a Glock though. Solid reputation and they pretty much changed the industry with their design. Lots of sizes to pick from.

Id seriously recommend starting with a 22lr first though.  Spend a year with it getting the basics down then pick up your big gun.  I like to choose the same format .22 as the big gun.  Much less expensive to stay sharp.

10 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

So to actually have some pics I caught these two 5 lb plus smallies on the Quabbin Reservoir in Massachusetts one on a red power worm the other on a purple power worm.... we thru everything I had at them non live bait til we went to power bait.  Only catch and release today.... 

I’m pretty sure I saw those on twitter but I don’t know if I’m following you.  Lol

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Weave said:

Such a personal choice there.  Hard to not choose a Glock though. Solid reputation and they pretty much changed the industry with their design. Lots of sizes to pick from.

Id seriously recommend starting with a 22lr first though.  Spend a year with it getting the basics down then pick up your big gun.  I like to choose the same format .22 as the big gun.  Much less expensive to stay sharp.

Thx!! 👍

11 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Big fan of the Bersa .380

It won't break the bank and meets the needs you've described. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Many ranges have rentals that you can use as long as you have your permit.  Try before you buy.  Ergonomics are very much an individual preference - for example, a particular grip angle may point naturally for one person, but aim high/low for another - as is trigger type (DAO vs. SA/DA, etc.)

One thing to remember with pistols is NY's 10-round magazine limit.  That means that pistols designed for long, double-stack magazines that hold 15+ rounds don't provide their normal benefit and tend to be less concealable.  A shorter grip (possibly with a compact, angled finger extension) double-stack or a long single-stack may still give you 10 rounds, while being more compact.

I have always favored Sig Sauer pistols - their ergonomics and mechanics just worked for me - but I don't have any experience with the current generation.  I've heard that their quality control may not be what it used to be.

Edited by carpandean
  • Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Many ranges have rentals that you can use as long as you have your permit.  Try before you buy.  Ergonomics are very much an individual preference - for example, a particular grip angle may point naturally for one person, but aim high/low for another - as is trigger type (DAO vs. SA/DA, etc.)

One thing to remember with pistols is NY's 10-round magazine limit.  That means that pistols designed for long, double-stack magazines that hold 15+ rounds don't provide their normal benefit and tend to be less concealable.  A shorter grip (possibly with a compact, angled finger extension) double-stack or a long single-stack may still give you 10 rounds, while being more compact.

I have always favored Sig Sauer pistols - their ergonomics and mechanics just worked for me - but I don't have any experience with the current generation.  I've heard that their quality control may not be what it used to be.

I’m a Sig fan and prefer the 1911 format for many of the reasons you stated above.  Love my P938 and P238.  They are a very comfortable carry and in a format I am very familiar with.  But single action is def not for everyone, and probably not a good choice for anyone starting out.

Yeah, try out a bunch and see what feels comfortable.  That’s where your decision should start.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Hoo boy! Here we go. It really is all about feel. I'd try to get the feel of as many pistols as possible then do research on the ones that you like best.

@Weave gives solid advice on going from 22lr to a bigger caliber in the same frame. Some people favor a particular brand, I just like what I like. Beretta 92 is my personal favorite, but it's a full size 9mm and it's way to large for someone of my build to carry. 

Glock truly does make everything. Single stack, double stack, full size, compact, sub-compact, and they all come in every caliber. I have one. I like it, don't love it. My dad hates them. He doesn't like how they feel in his hand and he's shot them all. My brother has pretty much every style of Glock as he gets a work discount, and he loves them.

Sig Sauer, Walther, H&K are all fantastic, but tend to be a bit pricier than some others.

Springfield's XD series is a great little box set of awesome at a really good price point (last I checked, it's been a while though) and their 1911s are my personal favorite 45's.

Smith & Wesson I'm not a fan of, while my father loves them. It's all about personal preference.

I have a range nearby that has about 50 different pistols that someone can shoot with an instructor. It's great to be able to test drive your gun before you make a decision. I hope you can find someplace like that to go. Good luck and keep us posted on what you get so we can argue over if we like it or not 😛

• Thanks (+1) 1

I’m a lefty.  And I’m a former DEC hunter safety instructor.  I preached, and live by, use of a safety.  This is where comfort and preference really come into play.  A safety is an afterthought (if present at all) in most of the striker fired pistols out there.  Safeties seem to be somewhat controversial on defensive pistols.  But I don’t have a comfort level not using a safety.  Being left handed really limits my options as I simply cannot work a safety with my left hand on most striker fired handguns.  So I gravitate towards hammer fired guns, especially if they are ambidextrous.

Comfort is king here. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.