Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

9 hours ago, hsif said:

I'm jealous......... of not just this, but particularly this...... bears, mushrooms, waterfowl, walleyes..... dude, you got the world by the short ones and the world don't know it yet.

We drove around and walked around from 7am to 5pm and didn't see a grouse today. It's not always limits of fish and birds but I do love where I live.

Edited by Ducky

• 3 months later...
On 9/21/2018 at 7:19 AM, hsif said:

I've been kicking around Moose hunting next fall...... maybe in Newfoundland......  My Daughter wants to go on a hunt for something I'd never chased before, and I just can't afford an Alaska or Yukon moose hunt, so Newfoundland is an option. 

In general, where are you hunting? 

A friend of mine from Kentucky that moved to the Yukon via Winnipeg has invited me moose hunting for the 2021 fall season. He said all I have to bring is my clothes and gun. He has his Canadian citizenship and is allowed to do this once in a lifetime as a Canadian citizen of the Yukon and I feel honored that he asked me.

This is a trip I didn't ever think I could afford but seeing as he is actuallly my guide, the cost will be minimal. I have enough VISA point that the taxes are under $150.00 for the flight. The biggest expense will getting the de-boned meat home. He got a moose on the 2nd day last fall that measured 49 inches and the year before on the first morning he got a 58 incher! We'll be floating a river in a 14 foot jon boat.

The only concern I have is grizzlies but I'm going for it.

I'm very jealous..........I've backpack hunted in NW Montana, in grizzly country without incident. We've seen a few grizzlies while hunting and tracks many times, but the bears in NW Montana are no where near the density of where you're headed. The most unnerving feeling is lying in the tent and hearing animals outside the tent. If you're hearing the "thump - thump" of hooved animals that's one thing. If all your hearing is sticks/branches breaking, that's another..... makes it tough for me to sleep. Sounds like your friend has it down though, and you'll be in good hands. It might be worth exploring the hi-voltage electric fence thing. I'm excited to see your pictures........

• 2 months later...

We went for a ride to Gimli the toher day and saw close to 80 bald eagles, five swans, a great blue heron and tons of the usual suspects like ducks, geese, gulls, dark-eyed juncos, robins, etc...

Trying to get a pic to load but having problems. If it loads there were 20 bald eagles in this tree at one time. There were about 45 in the air about 600 yards to the north of this tree.

20200410_174318.jpg

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 1

Went for a ride on April 7th to a spot I know of that is usually good for suckers but not running yet (saw small northern pike in the ditches yesterday so suckers are right behind them). Took the looooooong way there.
Things seen on the drive...

30 deer (20, 3, 5, 1, 1,)
About a dozen American Kestrels
5 Rough-legged hawks
1 Bald eagle
3 Horned larks (many have moved on)
2 HUGE flocks of geese with lots of mallards and mucho geese besides those two massive flocks
4 Northern Pintails
3 Northern Shovelers
2 Buffleheads
20 swans I am guessing Tundra swans but haven't looked at the pics yet. (6, 3, 5, 6)
A flock of 6 Western meadowlarks
mucho crows
mucho gulls (too far to identify which kind)
robins but a lot have moved on
mucho Dark-eyed juncos
7 or 8 Sharptail grouse and one was displaying...really cool...dancing on the grass on the side of the ditch and then on top off some snow and then whhen the others moved up on top of some round hay bales, he flew up there and started givin' er again!!!!!!!!!!!!!..... See this all the time in the yard at the feeders but really cool out in the "wild".....took some video but haven't looked at it yet...there were also pairs of geese flying intermittently over the bales less than 25 feet in the air...watched them for at least 20 minutes and if a car woudln't have drove by and made them fly away, I wudda stayed another half hour
A Great horned owl on a nest with the mate really close by with a bunch crows pestering them (wish I would have had my gun with me to scare them off...pissed me right off) ...pretty cool
...saw a Turkey vulture on April 6th which is pretty early.

Pic is a Bald eagle nest that  has been in use for years and years and is still active. I would guess 4 feet in diameter and 7 feet top to bottom. I'd love to see what all is in that nest as far as skeletons and dog leashes.

20200410_154307.jpg

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Got the kayak out this morning and did some trolling with it.  Holy workout, Batman.  I paddled about 3 miles out and 3 miles back.  My shoulders are spent.  Way more paddling than I normally do.

It was a good morning though.  The walleyes were hitting early. I put a 19.5” in the freezer and lost 2 others. Caught a channel cat as well.  They really pull the kayak around.  And the bass turned on once the sun was high.

Ive earned my afternoon beverage.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I must miss fresh fish too.

I got home and 30 minutes later the kids pulled in (haven't seen them since February).

The next thing you know there are wings in the oven, Stella Artois being opened and fish being fried. Good thing the better half got home from work when she did or we might have eaten it all! When all was said and done, my half of the fish were eaten (buddy took his and went home) and everyone was full.

I am supposed to be going back tomorow but the forecast is for high winds so I will put it off until Saturday. I hear the catfish are biting like crazy now so I have to get out after them too...not enough time in the week!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bought a New Jersey fishing license today. First time in 16 years.

If only it wasn’t so gall dang hot out.

Edit to add: My math was wrong. It was only 14 years. Still, can’t wait to get out there. I buy a NY one every year (at $70 a pop), but want to just have the pole in the truck for the 45 minute drive by.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 3

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Trolling, brought them up in the net to filet them 

Ah.  I know they're in some of the deeper holes in the Allegheny River and people fish for them from the banks.

Enjoy those fillets and don't forget about the cheeks!

Edited by Indabuff

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Went Walleye Fishing for first time today. The bite was slow unfortunately. But the beauty on the left was 26 inches and 8lbs

8A0894A6-2111-40A2-B4A4-1F82B4927301.jpeg

Awesome !!!

16 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Ah.  I know they're in some of the deeper holes in the Allegheny River and people fish for them from the banks.

Enjoy those fillets and don't forget about the cheeks!

Cheek meat, for the win!  Best part of a walleye.

Tomorrow AM I'll be on the water for the first time in almost 2 months.  The fish don't stand a chance.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Winds are blowing 15 to 20 out of the SW, which is directly up the river with the current. We are fishing in a rented 28 foot pontoon boat and Our Drop Shot Drift is too fast to keep the rig on the bottom.  Fishing has been hard as a result. 

Niagara River?  Yeah, getting a good drift takes some experience.  You’ve got to use your trolling motor to combat the wind so the boat matches the river current.

In my teens and 20’s I fished the river alot.  There is really good fishing to be had, especially smallmouth bass, but mastering drifting is key.  If you don’t have a trolling motor you might be better off anchoring in front of the Huntley power plant and fan casting, or drifting a slip float rig.

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

Niagara River?  Yeah, getting a good drift takes some experience.  You’ve got to use your trolling motor to combat the wind so the boat matches the river current.

In my teens and 20’s I fished the river alot.  There is really good fishing to be had, especially smallmouth bass, but mastering drifting is key.  If you don’t have a trolling motor you might be better off anchoring in front of the Huntley power plant and fan casting, or drifting a slip float rig.

Actually the St Lawrence, sorry should have been more specific 

I’m going to look into drift socks for next year 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.