Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

On 06/29/2019 at 7:36 AM, North Buffalo said:

Where did you get them?

I need to get out fishing this summer.

I live just north of Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA. I caught them in the Manigotagan River and the fishing was pretty slow. 

It is a two hour drive but we were coming back from smallmouth bass fishing about an hour past Manigotagan. We usually hammer them and 75 fish days are not uncommon. It was steady this year but nowhere near where I have seen it some years. 

All in all the slowest trip we have had since we started doing the two in one weekend. It started as the "Cast and Bass" and has morphed into the "Cast and Grass"!

Edited by Ducky
  • Haha (+1) 1

The content doesn’t preview but the link works. If you’re a sportsman it’s well worth the click...and you won’t believe this is my backyard.

I think we know where that giant print in my orchard came from @Weave!

Edited by Ogre

• 2 weeks later...

I took a buddy out for catfish on Saturday that hadn't caught one before. This is a 29 incher but he caught a 33 and 3/4 incher later. It got out of his hands before I could get a picture of it. We caught about 18 catfish that night with just over half being under 20 in.

tmp_6630-20190706_2107391650883316194424303.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, spndnchz said:

Holy cow. How much does that weigh ?

No idea but there are a lot bigger ones out there. Approaching 20 maybe???

That is 29 inches and my GF's daughter caught one when she was about 7 or so and it was 41 1/8" long. On my ***** scale I had back then it was 37 lbs. They were fishing from shore that morning and my GF and her son and daughter caught 7 master angler catfish. Also, another 18 over 30 inches but under the 34 inches you need for a master.  

Manitoba Master Angler awards are given by length not weight. The thinking is that it takes less time to get them back in the water. Barbs are illegal as well. If the hook is on your line, it has to be pinched.

To be honest, it was his 1st time ever going for cats so I took some pics but we usually don't take pics if they aren't masters. I used to fish a LOT for them but this was my 1st time out for them by boat in about 5 years. It was nice to pull in a few again. We only stayed an hour or so after dark. If we stayed longer, we would have caught a lot more because the spot I moved to as the sun was going down produced 5 in no time and all were over 27 inches.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ducky said:

No idea but there are a lot bigger ones out there. Approaching 20 maybe???

That is 29 inches and my GF's daughter caught one when she was about 7 or so and it was 41 1/8" long. On my ***** scale I had back then it was 37 lbs. They were fishing from shore that morning and my GF and her son and daughter caught 7 master angler catfish. Also, another 18 over 30 inches but under the 34 inches you need for a master.  

Manitoba Master Angler awards are given by length not weight. The thinking is that it takes less time to get them back in the water. Barbs are illegal as well. If the hook is on your line, it has to be pinched.

To be honest, it was his 1st time ever going for cats so I took some pics but we usually don't take pics if they aren't masters. I used to fish a LOT for them but this was my 1st time out for them by boat in about 5 years. It was nice to pull in a few again. We only stayed an hour or so after dark. If we stayed longer, we would have caught a lot more because the spot I moved to as the sun was going down produced 5 in no time and all were over 27 inches.

On Georgian Bay we got into a nest of them one time and probably caught 30 in an hour, but non near that size... wow!

• Like (+1) 1

Returned from Denver/RMNP yesterday..... Spent 3 days 2 nights backpacking in the Never Summer Mountains with my daughter and had a wonderful time......We camped at 10,700 and 10,600 feet, and there was still lots of snow at that elevation. From the Dutch Town camp we watched 15 sheep over one evening and one morning on the sheer cliffs above the camp. Watched a lamb nurse, really cute, good stuff. Saw many elk, although not a ton from our camps.... and a couple moose..... "highlight" was having a juvenile cougar come through our Dutch Town Camp, leaving tracks 15 feet from the tent........ I $hit you not......We did a couple of day hikes also..... one into Sky Pond, and the Loch is on the way in..... it was beautiful and windless, and the picture came out great. Pics from Sky Pond and Glass Lake were beautiful, but the wind had picked up and you didn't get the reflection like a little lower.....On the hike past the Lake of Glass to Sky Pond, there's a waterfall to climb, and with the snowpack from the winter, it was plenty wet...... Pics are at our Dutch Town Camp, Skeleton Creek Basin, and The Loch........... The Never Summer Mountains were a little tough. 30 - 32F at night, and thunderstorms with some hail 2 - 3 times a day. It was a week of great adventure with one of my best friends......... I will cherish it until the day I can't hike any more.......

We also found some great craft beer! If you're ever in Denver, be sure to find Cerebral Brewing.......... Goooooooooood Stuff. The beer at Denver Beer Co. was also good, but the beer at Cerebral was a cut above the 6 or 7 places we visited.......https://cerebralbrewing.com/

DutchCamp.jpg

Skeleton Creek.jpg

TheLoch.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

• 2 weeks later...

We took a quick 2 person (my wife and I) limit of walleyes this morning out of Sturgeon Point. The fish are really stacked up on the Canadian line off the condos......... We set up way West of that and trolled into that water, not knowing what was there. We more or less picked away at them until between Pt. Abino and the condos, and then all hell broke loose.... great day. It's no secret..... lots of boats out of Buffalo SBH were there. These are the good 'ol days. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, hsif said:

We took a quick 2 person (my wife and I) limit of walleyes this morning out of Sturgeon Point. The fish are really stacked up on the Canadian line off the condos......... We set up way West of that and trolled into that water, not knowing what was there. We more or less picked away at them until between Pt. Abino and the condos, and then all hell broke loose.... great day. It's no secret..... lots of boats out of Buffalo SBH were there. These are the good 'ol days. 

Grocery fishing.  Love it.

I'm hoping the wind doesn't keep me from getting out tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

IMG_0891.thumb.JPG.3dd9614ffc0a97b1b5916049e4a39b64.JPG

Allow me to get the 2019 hunting season started. Not a great pic with the waist deep grass and being taken about 30 minutes before sunset. We were only about 200 yards (183 meters for our Canadian friends) from the slough, then approximately 4 miles in the John boat back to camp. We made it home just before last call at 2am and toasted our good luck with a very nice Oban 14. Although I prefer the Oban 20, it was a fitting tribute. Had tenderloin steaks on the grill last night. Devine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, oregelbundet oregelbunden said:

IMG_0891.thumb.JPG.3dd9614ffc0a97b1b5916049e4a39b64.JPG

Allow me to get the 2019 hunting season started. Not a great pic with the waist deep grass and being taken about 30 minutes before sunset. We were only about 200 yards (183 meters for our Canadian friends) from the slough, then approximately 4 miles in the John boat back to camp. We made it home just before last call at 2am and toasted our good luck with a very nice Oban 14. Although I prefer the Oban 20, it was a fitting tribute. Had tenderloin steaks on the grill last night. Devine.

You need to pm @Wyldnwoody44

• Thanks (+1) 1

I couldn't find anyone to go picking honey mushrooms so I went by myself last Tuesday...Now, after seeing some pictures, everyone wants to come picking this weekend.

After I took this pic I was on my way home because this is all of the boxes I brought with me. I stopped to have a leak and saw a big cluster of about 12 or more. I ran back to the Jeep and grabbed a grocery bag. Within 10 minutes that bag was full and I was on my way home. 3 1/2 hours to clean (didn't find any with worms), blanch and freeze them all. 

Lots of bears in this area. I was picking about 3/4 of a mile off the highway but still had the gun with me. I used to hunt up there and have taken a few big ones up there so I was always looking over my shoulder.

Going back Sunday afternoon for some more and Monday afternoon for a duck shoot. I have 4 day weekends until mid November and I am going to take advantage of it. The walleye are supposed to be picking up in the river as well. I love this time of year.

oregelbundet oregelbunden, I am envious.

20191001_193709[1].jpg

20191001_171644[1].jpg

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 1

Just finished some trigger fish ceviche and then we had some of these mushrooms fried up with butter and onions with a good rye bread. We are going for a ride to show the girlfriend's mom all of the geese at Oak Hammock Wildlife Management Area and then we are going to eat some mahi-mahi fillets when we get back. The ceviche was yummy and the mushrooms are some of my favourite food on the planet.

Totally unrelated but we were at the Elton John concert last night and it was freaking awesome! 9th row seats.

18 hours ago, Ducky said:

Totally unrelated but we were at the Elton John concert last night and it was freaking awesome! 9th row seats.

I'm jealous......... of not just this, but particularly this...... bears, mushrooms, waterfowl, walleyes..... dude, you got the world by the short ones and the world don't know it yet.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.