Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

5 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Anyone know of a gun range in WNY? Looking to go shooting this summer and I usually go to Niagara Gun Range. Not a bad place. The occasional younger person shooting a shotgun from the hip. Just looking to see what else is out there. Thanks.

Almost non-existent if you don't want to join a club.  Only other pay as you go range in WNY that I can think of is the Firing Pin in Bergen.

In a pinch there are semi-formal shooting lanes set up in the public land of the Alabama Swamp on Bartel Road, but the demand is high and you may have to wait for a group to clear.  It's pretty high use, especially on weekends.  Bonus, you may see eagles while out there.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Anyone know of a gun range in WNY? Looking to go shooting this summer and I usually go to Niagara Gun Range. Not a bad place. The occasional younger person shooting a shotgun from the hip. Just looking to see what else is out there. Thanks.

The Firing Pin is your best bet if youre planning on shooting pistol or rifle. Indoors, pay for lanes by the hour, and they have some rental stuff too. 

Unrelated, but the docks at the public launch on Sandy Creek are already underwater. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up closing again this year.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Weave said:

Almost non-existent if you don't want to join a club.  Only other pay as you go range in WNY that I can think of is the Firing Pin in Bergen.

In a pinch there are semi-formal shooting lanes set up in the public land of the Alabama Swamp on Bartel Road, but the demand is high and you may have to wait for a group to clear.  It's pretty high use, especially on weekends.  Bonus, you may see eagles while out there.

5 hours ago, sodbuster said:

The Firing Pin is your best bet if youre planning on shooting pistol or rifle. Indoors, pay for lanes by the hour, and they have some rental stuff too. 

Unrelated, but the docks at the public launch on Sandy Creek are already underwater. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up closing again this year.

Thank you very much.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Has anyone been out on the water yet this season? 

I did fish in the rain today for about an hour and a half and got into a good mix of panfish.

I've been out 5 or 6 times in some of our smaller inland lakes.  Mostly looking for crappies.   Mostly unsuccessfully.  Did stumble into a walleye on a lake I suspected but wasn't sure had walleyes.

It's been a tough start to the season.  Cold, wet weather had fish on their spawning beds later than usual.  Now that fish are getting into their Summer patterns I'm hoping to see a bit more action.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Has anyone been out on the water yet this season? 

Not a ton, and not for the last week...... Ontario maybe 6 times. The king fishing has been very good out of Sandy. 

I'm hoping to fish with my daughter tomorrow ...... She wants to fish for kings locally (Sandy). I'd like to fish for perch/walleyes out of the Catt...... Odds are we'll be in Ontario.

• Thanks (+1) 1

one nice king (17 lbs), three shaker kings, and a laker today out of Sandy......... tough day...... we never marked much and most of our action was in 80 - 120. 

Planning a backpacking adventure in Rocky Mountain NP for early-mid July. I'm not getting any younger, and it sure feels like I'm getting to the end of this kind of stuff. Back, shoulder, knees....... every thing aches, and more than that is gonna ache. We'll be there a little over a week, and are backcountry camping 2 nights...... and dayhiking the rest of the time. Probably just me and one of my daughters. We did this in the neighborhood of 15 years ago, and I thought it would be cool to do it again...... But this trip, I'm sure we'll find some craft beer in our "down time".....

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, hsif said:

one nice king (17 lbs), three shaker kings, and a laker today out of Sandy......... tough day...... we never marked much and most of our action was in 80 - 120. 

Planning a backpacking adventure in Rocky Mountain NP for early-mid July. I'm not getting any younger, and it sure feels like I'm getting to the end of this kind of stuff. Back, shoulder, knees....... every thing aches, and more than that is gonna ache. We'll be there a little over a week, and are backcountry camping 2 nights...... and dayhiking the rest of the time. Probably just me and one of my daughters. We did this in the neighborhood of 15 years ago, and I thought it would be cool to do it again...... But this trip, I'm sure we'll find some craft beer in our "down time".....

Yeah, I saw you at the marina and didn't realize it was you until after I noticed the sticker on your truck on the way out.

17 minutes ago, hsif said:

Have you been to RMNP? It’s absolutely beautiful. You’re going to have a blast.  

13 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Ah Charleston is a great town... really good food and close to kiawah island.  Better get your golf game together and um stomach.. I could get really fat there.

I’ll be playing in the company golf tournament at the end of July at the Muni. Have a friend down here that works at Wild Dunes and can get good rates, hope to take a day off of work in a few months and play there. I’ve always wanted to play a links course. As far as Kiawah is concerned, that’s probably closer to next year’s budget. 

Edited by #freejame

On 6/18/2019 at 8:18 PM, #freejame said:

Have you been to RMNP? It’s absolutely beautiful. You’re going to have a blast.  

We have.... it's gorgeous. This BP trip is into the West side of the park and into the Never Summer Range, and I've never been into that section of the park. When I looked the other day, there was still snow...... Here's a pic from 14 years ago near the Boulderfield, on the way towards Longs Peak. My Brother with my 2 daughters. The girls look a little different now. The one in the green will be with me this trip. 

Img_0277.jpg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/18/2019 at 8:17 PM, sodbuster said:

Yeah, I saw you at the marina and didn't realize it was you until after I noticed the sticker on your truck on the way out.

I noticed a small trailer parked at East Fork..... musta been you. Tommy said you guys had a decent day.

4 hours ago, hsif said:

I noticed a small trailer parked at East Fork..... musta been you. Tommy said you guys had a decent day.

Nah, my father and I were just dropping off the boat before heading off to work. Tommy is doing some work on it before the summer derby rolls around.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.