Propane grills

drnkirishone

I know there was some grill talk in another thread but I couldn't remember what one and I figured a seperate thread could be worth this discussion.

I am looking to replace an old 3 burner model. Wanted some recommendations on some good value models in the 150 to 300 dollar range or at the least things to look for in that range that add to durability

Edited by SDS

In that price range you'll find some good performers, but they all tend to be made to last just a few years.  They seem to start rusting parts (burners, etc.) after 3-4 years.

A quick Google search tells me that Consumer Reports lists Brinkmann 810-6630-S as recommended.  

Do some reading on Amazingribs.com.  I trust these guys implicitly.  http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/top_10/2015_top_10_gas_grills.html

At the $150-300 price point you can get an awesome charcoal grill that will last a couple decades.  Might not be as convenient as propane, but a Weber kettle charcoal grill is about as good as they can possibly get and are a dream to cook on.  I'd seriously consider going charcoal at <$300.

I'm not sure of your situation One, but if normally just 2 of you are eating than I recommend the Weber Q series. A little small, but enough to do a meal for 2 people. Portable, durable and well made. If in 4-5 years you needs change and you want to go big the Weber will have a lot of life left in it and makes a great tail gating grill.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/weber-q-series/1200

Edited by Woods-Racer

I'm not sure of your situation One, but if normally just 2 of you are eating than I recommend the Weber Q series. A little small, but enough to do a meal for 2 people. Portable, durable and well made. If in 4-5 years you needs change and you want to go big the Weber will have a lot of life left in it and makes a great tail gating grill.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/weber-q-series/1200

I'm getting a 2200. Just haven't done it yet. About a month ago, I threw away my big home depot special that I hated and never used and just put this

post-1429-0-98559000-1438040412_thumb.jpg

on a table on my deck. I have never grilled more in my life. I'm thinking that a Weber Q will be a nice replacement and this one can go back in the camper.

I'm getting a 2200. Just haven't done it yet. About a month ago, I threw away my big home depot special that I hated and never used and just put this

attachicon.gif713G5h35qML._SL1415_.jpg

on a table on my deck. I have never grilled more in my life. I'm thinking that a Weber Q will be a nice replacement and this one can go back in the camper.

If you enjoy making a meal on that, you will be in love with the Q. The cast iron grates and stainless burner create the most even heating surface I've ever cooked on. I'm amazed at the amount of food it will cook.

I love charcoal, but from lighting to eating in 30 minutes or less makes propane very appealing and not so much of a well prepared event.

If you enjoy making a meal on that, you will be in love with the Q. The cast iron grates and stainless burner create the most even heating surface I've ever cooked on. I'm amazed at the amount of food it will cook.

I love charcoal, but from lighting to eating in 30 minutes or less makes propane very appealing and not so much of a well prepared event.

Yeah I don't have 3 hours to prep when I want to grill.

Yeah I don't have 3 hours to prep when I want to grill.

Chimney starter $10. 10 minutes to start grilling on charcoal.

Yup.  $10 chimney starter fixes the whole time to cook thing.  Wad up a couple pagesof newspaper for the bottom, pour the charcoal on top, light the paper, 10 minutes later dump it in the grill and start cooking.  It really is that fast and easy.  And no lighter fluid is a bonus.

My old gas grill needed replacing earlier this season. 

Decided to purchase a Weber kettle charcoal grill.........Best decision in a long time.

Makes grilling even more of a pleasure. The taste, fantastic. Time wise? Don't believe what you hear. Get the Kingsford Briquettes laced with starter.  Quick, easy, delish!

Love it! 

Yup. $10 chimney starter fixes the whole time to cook thing. Wad up a couple pagesof newspaper for the bottom, pour the charcoal on top, light the paper, 10 minutes later dump it in the grill and start cooking. It really is that fast and easy. And no lighter fluid is a bonus.

Plus that's an extra 10 minutes of serenity with a beer out back waiting for chimney to do its thing.

My old gas grill needed replacing earlier this season.

Decided to purchase a Weber kettle charcoal grill.........Best decision in a long time.

Makes grilling even more of a pleasure. The taste, fantastic. Time wise? Don't believe what you hear. Get the Kingsford Briquettes laced with starter. Quick, easy, delish!

Love it!

Agreed with everything except the starter laced briquettes. I may just be extra sensitive, but starter fluid chemical taste ruins the food for me. Edited by Claude_Verret

Plus that's an extra 10 minutes of serenity with a beer out back waiting for chimney to do its thing.

Agreed with everything except the starter laced briquettes. I may just be extra sensitive, but starter fluid chemical taste ruins the food for me.

Haven't used starter fluid in 15 years.  No need to add a bunch of solvents to the fire source.

Can confirm: most any Brinkmann three burner propane grills work pretty good. Good hot heat when wanted, pretty even, enough basic features, constructed well enough to keep you happy for a few years if you take care of the grates (different models have different grates: iron, porcelain, etc; I like porcelain). If you're patient, you can usually find them for less (sometimes much less) than $225 all in.  That'll leave enough dough for a decent charcoal grill and accessories, if doing that once in a while is your thing.

Right now I use a small footprint two burner for my tiny patio, like this.  The bomb fits underneath and the wings fold down, so it doesn't take up much space at all.  It's got plenty of heat for its size and it has enough grill space for my uses.

attachicon.gif713G5h35qML._SL1415_.jpg

I use this style for tailgating, camping, picnicking, etc.  This is the grill I go cheap on- you can find a supercheapo made-in-China tabletop grills at Walmart any time for $25.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Chimney.  Starter.  Buy one.  

Ed Youngs Hardware in Williamsville has the best selection of Weber.  They do a lot of internet business through Amazon.  Just about any part you need.  I'm looking at a Q, myself.  It seems like a better investment because every part that might break or wear out could be replaced cheaper than a new grill.

The only, ONLY reason I have a gas grill is because of time.

Charcoal is so much better for cooking.  But it takes a lot longer.

I'm in the same boat.  I do enjoy a charcoal-cooked anything, but the speed of propane trumps.  Maybe when I have a house and yard and all damn day, I'll opt for perfection.  Until then, I'm in on and off in 25 minutes.

Haven't used starter fluid in 15 years.  No need to add a bunch of solvents to the fire source.

Royal Oak All Natural Lump Hardwood and nothing else. You are absolutely right on with no starter fluid. It is the holy grail way. Do not use lighter fluid or briquettes even. 

I understand.

But FFS, these days, I use my grill to cook dogs and burgers.  It's not like the old days, you know?

I get the dogs part but not the burgers. When I cook on the charcoal grill I save what's left of that burn and re fire it for Hot Dogs. Burgers I am more than willing to use for a first burn.

Ed Youngs Hardware in Williamsville has the best selection of Weber.  They do a lot of internet business through Amazon.  Just about any part you need.  I'm looking at a Q, myself.  It seems like a better investment because every part that might break or wear out could be replaced cheaper than a new grill.

Grant is the man! at Ed Youngs. Cool dude and knows his Weber stuff.

I know there was some grill talk in another thread but I couldn't remember what one and I figured a seperate thread could be worth this discussion.

I am looking to replace an old 3 burner model. Wanted some recommendations on some good value models in the 150 to 300 dollar range or at the least things to look for in that range that add to durability

Weber Performer in that range. 

good info guys thanks. one question on the webers. the E models seem to be cheaper compared to the S models. the only difference I am seeing is the the E has ceramic iron cooking grates and the S has stainless steel. is the S models worth the extra money? or is it more a preference thing?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.