True Detective

qwksndmonster

I've only seen the epsiodes of season 2 once each so far, so I don't really have much to say about them yet.  Season two isn't as good as 1 so far, but it's still excellent.

I'm watching through season 1 again.  This time with my mom.  I'm going to skip Rust's description of cartel torture, but she should be able to handle the rest.

I've seen season 1 episode 5 probably 10+ times.

Rustin Cohle is an amazing character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oX2xFo7JA4

For a contra opinion: I was pretty lukewarm about season 1 and I'm finding season 2 similarly meh. I think it's a bit better than Boardwalk Empire, which is the faintest of praise, but much closer to that show than to the high-end HBO shows.

Just got done with Season 1 the other day, Harrelson and McConaughey are amazing in that show. I just started season 2, got through only one episode so far. It's good, and I love Colin Farrel, so I have high hopes for it

Harrelson is an underated actor, always love seeing him a movie or series.   When im done with graceland i'll catch up on this one. :D

Edited by Heimdall

Season one was fantastic...........One of the best.........Season two I am trying my hardest to get into it.

I'm glad at least they're trying something different for season two.  Failing because they're trying is more admirable than just sucking.  Season two feels really strangely paced.  It really isn't until episode 5 that we're even sure which plot is the main plot.

I'm still really having fun.  And the intro song belongs in the can't get it out of my head thread.

I'm glad at least they're trying something different for season two.  Failing because they're trying is more admirable than just sucking.  Season two feels really strangely paced.  It really isn't until episode 5 that we're even sure which plot is the main plot.

I'm still really having fun.  And the intro song belongs in the can't get it out of my head thread.

Just watched episode 4 and 5 today.....gotta say season 2 is growing on me.

I'm enjoying this season, but I think if it wasn't for the internet I would have given up about 2 episodes in. So many guys in brown suits, they're impossible to keep track of.

Then again, this generation of TV is somewhat MEANT to be broken down online. If people are going to look for every minute detail, you have to provide those details. We expect a lot from shows these days.

I'm enjoying this season, but I think if it wasn't for the internet I would have given up about 2 episodes in. So many guys in brown suits, they're impossible to keep track of.

Then again, this generation of TV is somewhat MEANT to be broken down online. If people are going to look for every minute detail, you have to provide those details. We expect a lot from shows these days.

Yeah... but it's not just small details that are being lost in the noise of this complicated season.  I consider myself to be a pretty astute show watcher, and after having seen most of season 2 at least twice it's just too jumbled.  You can hide details, but the lack of focus or unity in the story line is causing this season to be significantly less engaging than season 1 was.

Hell, every time season 1 showed an overhead shot of the swamps I would get chills.  The beginning of season 2 showed all the posts with pink ribbon on them and that gave me chills at first.  I really like the story implications of what the pink ribbons might mean, and they've expanded on this particular piece of visual story telling... but not enough, not in any central way.

I'm liking the season, but it's not consuming me.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Yeah... but it's not just small details that are being lost in the noise of this complicated season.  I consider myself to be a pretty astute show watcher, and after having seen most of season 2 at least twice it's just too jumbled.  You can hide details, but the lack of focus or unity in the story line is causing this season to be significantly less engaging than season 1 was.

Hell, every time season 1 showed an overhead shot of the swamps I would get chills.  The beginning of season 2 showed all the posts with pink ribbon on them and that gave me chills at first.  I really like the story implications of what the pink ribbons might mean, and they've expanded on this particular piece of visual story telling... but not enough, not in any central way.

I'm liking the season, but it's not consuming me.

I agree with most of that. People who know this stuff better than I do are saying its because Pizzalato(sp?) canned his director, so while the vision is still there the direction has been lost some. Makes some sense.

Even after withholding my expectations for season 2, I feel like the directors/writers have let down this cast. I just can't feel a connection to these characters besides Ray. Everyone talks with the same tone and everything is done in a depressed manner. There are no ups and downs in emotion and tone, only downs. Season 1 I was holding on to every single word being spoken and the story-line played out much more smoothly and organically. I will finish this season of course because I need to see if/when all these stories tie in together, but this season hasn't been captivating enough overall. Not trying to take over the topic but has anyone watched Ballers or The Brink? 

Even after withholding my expectations for season 2, I feel like the directors/writers have let down this cast. I just can't feel a connection to these characters besides Ray. Everyone talks with the same tone and everything is done in a depressed manner. There are no ups and downs in emotion and tone, only downs. Season 1 I was holding on to every single word being spoken and the story-line played out much more smoothly and organically. I will finish this season of course because I need to see if/when all these stories tie in together, but this season hasn't been captivating enough overall. Not trying to take over the topic but has anyone watched Ballers or The Brink?

I started a thread for Ballers. With only two episodes left for TD, I can't imagine an ending that will leave me satisfied.

I started a thread for Ballers. With only two episodes left for TD, I can't imagine an ending that will leave me satisfied.

There's a lot left to tie up. Each of the Big Four have a major plotline to tie up. Ani and her abuse, Paul and the Black Mountain stuff, Velcoro and the rapist, and Semyons whole storyline (no way he lives, right?). 

Not to mention the original case.

There's a lot left to tie up. Each of the Big Four have a major plotline to tie up. Ani and her abuse, Paul and the Black Mountain stuff, Velcoro and the rapist, and Semyons whole storyline (no way he lives, right?).

Not to mention the original case.

Yeah they are really packing too many story lined into this season. Any one or two of those would have been great. I'm bracing myself for disappointment.

Yeah they are really packing too many story lined into this season. Any one or two of those would have been great. I'm bracing myself for disappointment.

Too many cooks. 4 main characters? To much. I think they could have cut Paul entirely and not have lost anything.

Im personally loving this season and Ray Velcoro has been my favorite character of the 2 seasons from a pure entertainment standpoint (why I watch anything on TV after all).  While I agree with the consensus that there is alot going on with the 4 main characters, I think its tying together nicely and Im confident that the last 2 episodes will be excellent.  No Spiderman 3 here ;)

Too many cooks. 4 main characters? To much. I think they could have cut Paul entirely and not have lost anything.

I really hated Taylor Kitsch at first, but once he stopped squinting and had a few character moments I warmed up to him.  The part the pisses me off is that he's really only been importantly featured in 3 episodes.  How can you have an entire episode where one of your main characters does nothing?

I knew I'd love Colin Farrell in this ever since I saw him in In Bruges.  I had a feeling I'd love Vince Vaughn and he hasn't disappointed.  His character has a couple pacing issues, but I think his has been the most consistent story line.

Rachel McAdams is a wonderful actress being given some eh material.  She's good, but Anti isn't doing it for me.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I really hated Taylor Kitsch at first, but once he stopped squinting and had a few character moments I warmed up to him.  The part the pisses me off is that he's really only been importantly featured in 3 episodes.  How can you have an entire episode where one of your main characters does nothing?

I knew I'd love Colin Farrell in this ever since I saw him in In Bruges.  I had a feeling I'd love Vince Vaughn and he hasn't disappointed.  His character has a couple pacing issues, but I think his has been the most consistent story line.

Rachel McAdams is a wonderful actress being given some eh material.  She's good, but Anti isn't doing it for me.

Kitsch is doing a good job with what he's been given, he just hasn't been given enough to make him worth while.

I really hated Taylor Kitsch at first, but once he stopped squinting and had a few character moments I warmed up to him

It's like Kitsch finally got the memo that squinting doesn't equal good acting. I feel like that should be drilled into actors/actresses heads long before they get to the big screen.

Say it with me now: squinting does not equal good acting.

Unless of course you're playing a pre-bifocals era semi-blind man.

Edited by Hoss

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.