Jay McKee

Corp000085

I read the buf. news article on the homepage, and he's basically giving the old "the ball is in their court" cliche. Basically, he accepts a 1 year qualifying offer by next week and becomes an UFA next year, or signs a long term deal before next week. Seems to me that the sabres can save some face by signing mckee, our new #1 defenseman. giving this guy the 1 year qualifying offer is a slap in his face for one, and it blatently shows the financial direction that the team is going towards. I'm at a loss as to what will happen with this one, but i do hope jay mckee is a sabres lifer. He's also one of the, if not, the last link to the 99 stanley cup championship* team.

I know. But where is his game now? He's not the same as far as agressivness. I'd be fine if he stays another year and / or if Darcy has something in mind for him ; as in TRADED.

I don't think they should "nickle and dime" him though. That cheap crap ain't right. Pay him or trade him.

SIGN HIM!

The Sabres and defenseman Jay McKee don't appear close to settling on a contract despite today's soft deadline for the club's lone unsigned player to accept his one-year qualifying offer for about $1.6 million.

Look for Regier to extend the deadline again.

McKee, who has stated he won't miss training camp, wants a long-term deal that would take him into unrestricted free agency. He's eligible to walk next summer.

"I'm not optimistic a long-term deal will get done with the way talks have gone to date," said McKee's agent, Pat Morris.

Does anybody know what sort of deal McKee is looking for? $2MM?, $2.5MM?? 3 yr? 5 yr?

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

If he's smart he'll look for a trade.

or

He can make the $1.6 over in Europe. Play a year in Europe and come back and make some real money.

And this is from a guy who doesn't like McKee. He will never be the player he was before the head injuries.

Guest ron-in-DC

due to the cap you can't take a chance and sign mckee to a long-term deal this year.

Darcy is playing the supply-demand game based on teams having less demand or cap room next season and with the UFA age dropping to 29 more players supply the market thereby dropping the market price. This off-season had a pent-up, frantic pace to it, led by the Flyers and Hawks and Pens. Once we sign Mckee to his one-year tender our cap will already be at 29 mill. Plus Darcy wants to sign one more vet d or trade for him. Mckee has played hurt the past 2-3 seasons, but healed this past season. Which player is he now, worn-out or re-born ? Darcy wants to wait and see.

If you think I am Darcy fan I am not, but I know he always has plan,lets see if the team has matured to a playoff level. Now Darcy is down to 2 years to go on his contract, so its playoffs or else for him, and rightly so. The good thing is you wont see the Sabres with cap issues, or dead cap space with Darcy and I do believe we offered Aucoin the same or nearly the same $ as the Hawks did, but he chose Chi over Buff - that is what led to the articles about former Sabres (peca) dissing Darcy and Buf - Peca and Aucoin were mates with the NYI.

The good thing is you wont see the Sabres with cap issues, or dead cap space...

I get the feeling that there isn't as much opportunity for dead cap $ as the NFL. I didn't think you could pro rate the bonuses...

Maybe the cantract is garaunteed though...

I get the feeling that there isn't as much opportunity for dead cap $ as the NFL.  I didn't think you could pro rate the bonuses...

Maybe the cantract is garaunteed though...

My understanding of how the cap works, is that teams can bail on contracts in the future by buying them out at 1/3 or 2/3 value (depending on player age and contract size), but that that money counts toward the $39MM cap.

So if a $3MM / year player gets bought out, that team's cap would effectively be $37MM for the remaining players.

Also, I had read where the cap counts all players on the roster, so if you have an injury and are already at $39MM, you are in a position where you can't just bring another player on board.

Dave.

My understanding of how the cap works, is that teams can bail on contracts in the future by buying them out at 1/3 or 2/3 value (depending on player age and contract size), but that that money counts toward the $39MM cap.

So if a $3MM / year player gets bought out, that team's cap would effectively be $37MM for the remaining players.

Also, I had read where the cap counts all players on the roster, so if you have an injury and are already at $39MM, you are in a position where you can't just bring another player on board.

Dave.

The Sabres are so far under the cap that if 10 players got hurt they could replace them. Not that they would.

well Mckee has really lost his intensity since '99 i mean the last few season's ive watched him he is either injured or just waiting to get injured cuze he's sorta coasting... he's alright but maybe better packaged in a trade... well see i suppose...

well Mckee has really lost his intensity since '99 i mean the last few season's ive watched him he is either injured or just waiting to get injured cuze he's sorta coasting... he's alright but maybe better packaged in a trade... well see i suppose...

If they can get something back they should trade him. But it has to be a player who comes right in and makes the roster. Many are in love with this Lydman kid and he only went for a third rounder. McKee's best days may be behind him. You could package with a goalie. Would the Sabres want two contracts coming back? Either way I still wouldn't pull the trigger on an Aaron Miller trade. Buffalo born or not the kid is injury prone.

Guest Colonel Forbin

The best scenario would be to trade McKee and a goalie and get ANYTHING in return. It would free up more space to possibly improve on the Defense AND it would slay the 3-headed goalie-dragon. Please Please, Darcy, do it!

The best scenario would be to trade McKee and a goalie and get ANYTHING in return. It would free up more space to possibly improve on the Defense AND it would slay the 3-headed goalie-dragon. Please Please, Darcy, do it!

What's that saying? If you have two #1 goalies (in the Sabre's case three) you don't have any?

The only problem is getting something worthy in return.  If a trade does go down, by seeing what we get in return, we will learn what the rest of the league thinks of McKee's value. 

Agreed. Considering he has never been the same after the Lemieux hit, I'd be surprised if the rest of the league thought his value was very high right now.

His value could go up a lot by the end of this season, if the year off has helped him recover from any nagging injuries and also get his confidence back that drilling someone like he used to (prior to the Lemieux hit) won't mess him up. (It used to mess up the other guy.)

My 2 cents.

Dave.

OK. THis is good. Hopefully his "head" is in the right place and he'll be ready to go. I'm not talking '99 Playoffs, but he's better back there than Janik.

I still say trade BIRON now and get a return player (Another D man and/or Wing Sniper). Thats it, thats all we have to do and we're on to the CUP '06. Seriously, time for Marty to go.

Now that McKee has been signed, do you think the group they have now is what they are planning to go with; or do they still try to make another move? I would definitely like to see another move.

Right now, if they stay with this group, I see them going w/

Kalinin & McKee

Numminen & Lydman (not sure which is 1st pair and which is 2nd pair)

Jillson & Fitzpatrick

with the gang banger and Campbell as extras and Janik stuck in Rochester.

Dave.

Guest Colonel Forbin

I thought Janik played pretty decent hockey and would be a good 5th or 6th

defensemen.

The continuing saga of Brian Campbell slags on..will he be a jedi or a jar-jar binks?

YAWN!

PS Bring back Gilbert Perrault!!!!!! My fav sabre!

I thought Janik played pretty decent hockey and would be a good 5th or 6th

defensemen.

The continuing saga of Brian Campbell slags on..will he be a jedi or a jar-jar binks?

YAWN!

PS  Bring back Gilbert Perrault!!!!!!  My fav sabre!

I agree that Janik is better than Campbell (or should we say Jar-jar?), but I would be surprised if he beat out Campbell for the role of non-dressing defenseman in the new "obstruction free" NHL at the beginning of the season.

Dave.

I agree that Janik is better than Campbell (or should we say Jar-jar?), but I would be surprised if he beat out Campbell for the role of non-dressing defenseman in the new "obstruction free" NHL at the beginning of the season.

Dave.

Janek and Campbell are complete non-factors. The Sabres are one of the few franchises that either of these kids could play for.

That's the biggest problem the Sabres have. They have no Top Line guys and no depth. They have some guys that would crack other teams 2nd or 3rd lines. But they are weak at the top and the bottom of the roster. Players like Connolly, Pyatt, Campbell, Peters, Janek and Jillson have no business in the NHL. And that's what? Almost a third of the Sabres roster?

Also,

How cheap are the Sabres? They need another franchise to fill in the roster of the ROC.

And, add Jay Mckee's name to the list of players that will be gone before or at the trade deadline. Look for a bunch of Sabres, of the one year deal variety, to be gone. The NHL's salary cap will be lower next season and the Sabres plan is to be $10+ million under that cap.

Archived