Winners and Losers of 2015 Draft.

Huckleberry

Well biggest loser for me are the bruins

I get trying to get some capspace but the return on Hamilton was piss poor.  I feel like they just ###### the bed.

Zboril is an ok choice but the other two are a bit of a reach as midround draftpicks.

Another loser, LA kings

LA trades: 2015 1st, 2016 1st, Martin Jones, Colin Miller
LA gets: Milan Lucic, 3 months of Sekera

Martin jones, probably wanted a starting job somewhere.

Lots of winners

Sabres, we did so well i can see us make the playoffs if we sign some good UFA D.

Islanders: Someone told Snow how to GM, He traded himself well into the 1st round.  traded Reinhart who didn't have a spot most likely.

flyers:  Got provorov best D and Kocecny.

Flames: Got a solid franchise D in hamilton for 2 picks only.

Oilers: Made a good trade for a young D and got Mcdavid.

Edit: might be a bit early with more rounds to come but i feel Boston and Los Angeles screwed up so badly nobody can't do any worse for the remainder of the draft.

Edited by Heimdall

I feel like Boston might have went all in to get #3 and got played by Maloney & Co. 

They traded away Hamilton mostly due to contract concerns, and although they actually got three picks in return, most think Calgary got the better end of the deal. 

They traded away Lucic for 13, Jones and Colin Miller. Not a terrible return, but wouldn't moving Lucic have helped them keep Hamilton in any way? And where does Martin Jones factor in for Boston, with Rask only 28 and Malcolm Subban developing in the minors? Certainly not the ideal situation for Jones to be in a back up role again.

There were reports of Boston trying to trade up for #3 all afternoon, so it makes sense that Boston could have been trying to acquire pieces for a package to the Yotes. All three first rounders, a second rounder, Jones or Subban, maybe more -- but Maloney ultimately walked away. 

Of course, it's just as likely (if not more) that Boston tried to offer Hamilton in a trade for #3, resulting in the "Boston is trying to trade for No .3" reports even after they were turned down and moved on from the idea.

Either way it seems they reached a bit for their picks. 

Buffalo can thank them for trading Soderberg to the Avs to facilitate the O'Reilly deal. 

Edited by thesportsbuff

It's still early; there are six rounds left.   But I woke up about five minutes ago and had to ask myself whether yesterday really happened or I just went on a bender.

I'm not hungover.  Ergo, yesterday really happened.  And FA season is yet to begin.

Wow.  

Edited by Eleven

Well biggest loser for me are the bruins

I get trying to get some capspace but the return on Hamilton was piss poor.  I feel like they just ###### the bed.

Zboril is an ok choice but the other two are a bit of a reach as midround draftpicks.

Another loser, LA kings

LA trades: 2015 1st, 2016 1st, Martin Jones, Colin Miller

LA gets: Milan Lucic, 3 months of Sekera

Martin jones, probably wanted a starting job somewhere.

Lots of winners

Sabres, we did so well i can see us make the playoffs if we sign some good UFA D.

Islanders: Someone told Snow how to GM, He traded himself well into the 1st round.  traded Reinhart who didn't have a spot most likely.

flyers:  Got provorov best D and Kocecny.

Flames: Got a solid franchise D in hamilton for 2 picks only.

Oilers: Made a good trade for a young D and got Mcdavid.

Edit: might be a bit early with more rounds to come but i feel Boston and Los Angeles screwed up so badly nobody can't do any worse for the remainder of the draft.

Couldn't disagree more on the LA Kings. This is a franchise gearing up for a final run at a Cup with the core group they have now. I am 100% certain contenders like Chicago and Anaheim are not happy about the Kings acquiring Lucic. 

I know I am a minority of one but I don't think McDavid make the Oilers any better. He's more of the same of what they already have. 3-4 years down the line they will regret passing on Eichel. Calgary's addition of Hamilton will have a far greater long term impact than the Oilers drafting McDavid. Not saying McDavid will be a bust, just building a team is about balance and making the right pieces fit. IMO, the Oilers ahve more lottery picks in their immediate future. 

Not sure what Boston is going for here. There has to be more to the Hamilton trade then we will ever truly know. 

It's still early; there are six rounds left.   But I woke up about five minutes ago and had to ask myself whether yesterday really happened or I just went on a bender.

I'm not hungover.  Ergo, yesterday really happened.  And FA season is yet to begin.

Wow.  

I haven't had a drink in over two years and I woke up this morning feeling like I had a hangover. I would gladly partake in the "hair of the dog that bit me" in the form of another epic trade involving a dman or a scoring winger.  

Couldn't disagree more on the LA Kings. This is a franchise gearing up for a final run at a Cup with the core group they have now. I am 100% certain contenders like Chicago and Anaheim are not happy about the Kings acquiring Lucic. 

I know I am a minority of one but I don't think McDavid make the Oilers any better. He's more of the same of what they already have. 3-4 years down the line they will regret passing on Eichel. Calgary's addition of Hamilton will have a far greater long term impact than the Oilers drafting McDavid. Not saying McDavid will be a bust, just building a team is about balance and making the right pieces fit. IMO, the Oilers ahve more lottery picks in their immediate future. 

Not sure what Boston is going for here. There has to be more to the Hamilton trade then we will ever truly know. 

You're not entirely a minority of one.  I don't think the Oilers will regret "passing" on Eichel, but I don't think McDavid is going to turn that team around, either.

What you see here in Buffalo is a rebuild.  What you see in Edmonton is a cycle of misery.

I think the Avalanche had an enormous day yesterday.  They traded their problem child into Grigs, Zads, Compher, drafted Rantanen, got Soderberg from Bruins and got cap relief.

Long term I agree. Question is does the acquisition of Soderberg, with another move or two down the line, get the Av's back into the playoffs in an extremely competitive Western Conference?    

Long term I agree. Question is does the acquisition of Soderberg, with another move or two down the line, get the Av's back into the playoffs in an extremely competitive Western Conference?    

If the other move or two is/are the right move(s), absolutely.  They're not far off.

Edited by Eleven

Wow.  

We were at a local amusement park on my company's dime when draft time rolled around. Installed the NBC LIve extra app specifically to watch the first part of the draft. Watched Murray proclaim the pick, listened to some intereviewy stuff, then watched Bettmann approach the podium. And then I screamed like a girl when he said that the Sabres had just acquired ROR. Literally screamed. EVERYone around me looked at me like I should be pulling a dead, blue child out of the wave pool, and instead, I'm sitting there with this sh**-eating grin on my face, staring at my phone. I leaned over and kissed my wife and said, "We're going to the playoffs next year. Almost a guarantee. Free agency's coming next week, and if we do well there, it's a done deal."

She couldn't have cared less.

Oh well. She makes up for it in spades elsewhere. :)

I think the Avalanche had an enormous day yesterday.  They traded their problem child into Grigs, Zads, Compher, drafted Rantanen, got Soderberg from Bruins and got cap relief.

I like Soderberg as a player, but I think that was a mistake. You don't give a 5 year contract to a 2nd line winger about to be on the wrong side of 30. They did fine in the O'Reilly trade and I liked Rantanen...but they're still coached by Roy. Don't see how they got better.

You're not entirely a minority of one.  I don't think the Oilers will regret "passing" on Eichel, but I don't think McDavid is going to turn that team around, either.

What you see here in Buffalo is a rebuild.  What you see in Edmonton is a cycle of misery.

If Talbot can give Edmonton league-average goaltending, I think they're a playoff team next year.

I like Soderberg as a player, but I think that was a mistake. You don't give a 5 year contract to a 2nd line winger about to be on the wrong side of 30. They did fine in the O'Reilly trade and I liked Rantanen...but they're still coached by Roy. Don't see how they got better.

If Talbot can give Edmonton league-average goaltending, I think they're a playoff team next year.

Talbot is still somewhat unproven. Sure, he can play lights out behind the Rangers defense but how is he going to fare with Edmonton? 

Talbot is still somewhat unproven. Sure, he can play lights out behind the Rangers defense but how is he going to fare with Edmonton? 

I'd have to imagine he'll be worse than what he showed with the Rangers. But again, asking for league average goaltending is not setting the bar super high. 

Does Edmonton have a defense?

I think the answer to this depends on how good Reinhart will be for them and how much of a role Nurse can handle as a rookie. Trading Petry as opposed to re-signing him remains moronic.

No idea what the Bruins were thinking, especially when they ultimately used their 1st round picks on Zboril, Debrusk, and Senshyn.  Getting Carlo in the 2nd round helps though.

In terms of who was drafted, I love what Winnipeg did: Connor, Roslovic, and Harkins.  And as much as I hate to say this, Toronto did pretty well with Marner, Dermott, and Bracco (along with Korostelev in the 7th round, who seems like he has a ton of potential).  The stupid Flyers may have done pretty well too with Provorov and Konecny.  

Losers: Boston and Dallas.

Boston for the reasons I have stated elsewhere. They basically should fire their scouting department. They reached on several players and could have had an amazing draft.

Dallas had 5 total picks and they reached and took guys with high risks.  They needed to take good players and not try to find diamonds in the rough.  At 12 they had an entire tier of good players and Guryanov is a big question mark.  Just a bad draft.

Edited by LGR4GM

Boston for the reasons I have stated elsewhere. They basically should fire their scouting department. They reached on several players and could have had an amazing draft.

Dallas had 5 total picks and they reached and took guys with high risks.  They needed to take good players and not try to find diamonds in the rough.  At 12 they had an entire tier of good players and Guryanov is a big question mark.  Just a bad draft.

I really though Dallas best move was to trade out of 12 and get more picks for at least 2 high end D. 

Zboril was only a small reach, but with connor, konecny, barzal and ohters still around #14 and #15  were a big reach.

Edited by Heimdall

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.