Draft a Goalie?

hsif

Since the beginning of the Sabres 40+ years this team has always found goaltenders. I think we already have a decent supply of young goalies that just lack nhl experience. I would much rather Murray sign a free agent goalie rather than trading for one unless your trading a pick not in the first two rounds.

I'm really against using  ammo to acquire a goalie, when you can have Niemi, Enroth, Neuvirth, Lindback, or Dubnyk all at cost, and the time it takes for a phone call. 

Here's the free agent list according to Spotrac......

Jonathan Bernier G 26 TOR TBD $2,900,000 RFA

Peter Budaj G 32 WPG TBD $1,400,000 UFA

Ilya Bryzgalov G 35 ANA TBD $1,176,774 UFA

Jordan Binnington G 21 STL TBD $916,667 RFA

Jake Allen G 24 STL TBD $800,000 RFA

Jared Coreau G 23 DET TBD $792,500 RFA

Sami Aittokallio G 22 COL TBD $683,333 RFA

Mac Carruth G 23 CHI TBD $616,667 RFA

Maxime Clermont G NJD TBD $605,000 RFA

Scott Clemmensen G 37 NJD TBD $312,903 UFA

Richard Bachman G 27 EDM TBD $251,290 UFA

Tyler Bunz G EDM TBD $40,412 RFA

Igor Bobkov G 24 ANA TBD $38,441 RFA

Matt Climie G STL TBD - RFA

2 things:

That's just a through c

I want Bunz

Here's the free agent list according to Spotrac......

Jonathan Bernier G 26 TOR TBD $2,900,000 RFA

Peter Budaj G 32 WPG TBD $1,400,000 UFA

Ilya Bryzgalov G 35 ANA TBD $1,176,774 UFA

Jordan Binnington G 21 STL TBD $916,667 RFA

Jake Allen G 24 STL TBD $800,000 RFA

Jared Coreau G 23 DET TBD $792,500 RFA

Sami Aittokallio G 22 COL TBD $683,333 RFA

Mac Carruth G 23 CHI TBD $616,667 RFA

Maxime Clermont G NJD TBD $605,000 RFA

Scott Clemmensen G 37 NJD TBD $312,903 UFA

Richard Bachman G 27 EDM TBD $251,290 UFA

Tyler Bunz G EDM TBD $40,412 RFA

Igor Bobkov G 24 ANA TBD $38,441 RFA

Matt Climie G STL TBD - RFA

Wouldn't mind the Sabres going after Allen. 

So we were the worst team in the league last year but had THREE pretty good, if not well above average, goalies. What does that say about goalies? Dime a dozen? Great coaching or we got lucky? 

It todays NHL with how positioning and coaching works, I would argue a competent GT can win on just about any decent team.  Carey Price didn't win his team a cup.  The team and system in front of GT are really where you should be worried. The GT behind that team really just needs to be average. 

It todays NHL with how positioning and coaching works, I would argue a competent GT can win on just about any decent team.  Carey Price didn't win his team a cup.  The team and system in front of GT are really where you should be worried. The GT behind that team really just needs to be average. 

I totally agree with this. I think any of the Sabres goalies could have taken Crawford's spot and the Hawks still would have won the cup. And Crawford played great! But there are a ton of goalies out there 

Our goaltenders were good at the expense of the rest of the team. It was a system thing. Not a talent thing. And it's a system that won't return. We'll need competent goaltending

Anyone who played net for Buffalo last season would be just fine going forward. They're all serviceable NHL goalies. 

I totally agree with this. I think any of the Sabres goalies could have taken Crawford's spot and the Hawks still would have won the cup. And Crawford played great! But there are a ton of goalies out there

I completely disagree. Any of Enroth, Neuvirth and Lindback would've been shipped out before mid season on that team.

Anyone who played net for Buffalo last season would be just fine going forward. They're all serviceable NHL goalies.

Enroth? Serviceable backup for sure. Not a guy you want starting consistently when you're good.

Neuvirth? Serviceable backup with maybe a bit more trust as a starter.

Lindback? Nowhere near serviceable in his other recent stops. Not even as a backup.

I'm partial to Binnington for the local connection. His sister just graduated from RIT where she was outstanding in net. It appears to run in the family. 

Can we draft the sister?  GT would be one position in hockey where a Woman could make the NHL jump with the right coaching and practice, relies more on position and reading the play than overall strength.  

I know we are not drafting a lady just thinking about the future NHL

Edited by LGR4GM

Can we draft the sister?  GT would be one position in hockey where a Woman could make the NHL jump with the right coaching and practice, relies more on position and reading the play than overall strength.  

Ha Remember little about it, but Tampa had a lady in their system, believe she played a few NHL games, a number of years ago. 

I know we are not drafting a lady just thinking about the future NHL

It's the only position a woman could play in the NHL and I think at some point someone will do it for real. 

I completely disagree. Any of Enroth, Neuvirth and Lindback would've been shipped out before mid season on that team.

Enroth? Serviceable backup for sure. Not a guy you want starting consistently when you're good.

Neuvirth? Serviceable backup with maybe a bit more trust as a starter.

Lindback? Nowhere near serviceable in his other recent stops. Not even as a backup.

You're severely overvaluing other goalies. So much of what makes a goalie effective is chemistry with team mates, system, and coaching. We don't need a star. Just some filler. 

You're severely overvaluing other goalies. So much of what makes a goalie effective is chemistry with team mates, system, and coaching. We don't need a star. Just some filler.

Who was the last team to win a cup with a "filler?" I can follow the line of thinking that we can just ride with a filler until we're ready to be good but why not get it done now? Acquire one and draft one. Then you don't worry about the position for a decade.

(No, Crawford is not a filler)

Who was the last team to win a cup with a "filler?" I can follow the line of thinking that we can just ride with a filler until we're ready to be good but why not get it done now? Acquire one and draft one. Then you don't worry about the position for a decade.

(No, Crawford is not a filler)

Crawford is filler. 

Crawford is filler.

No he isn't. This is some fantasy world we wish we could live in. Crawford isn't Quick/Lundqvist but he's in the next tier. Second-round pick, great in the AHL and then two cups. .917 SV% with a few seasons over .920.

He's not a filler. He just isn't.

No he isn't. This is some fantasy world we wish we could live in. Crawford isn't Quick/Lundqvist but he's in the next tier. Second-round pick, great in the AHL and then two cups. .917 SV% with a few seasons over .920.

But how many 2nd tier goalies are there? How many times a year do we see a 2nd tier goalie emerge from the 3rd tier?  I think finding a goalie should not require multiple 2nd round picks.  If that is the price spend those picks on goalies instead, you'll have a similar chance of finding that 2nd tier guy. 

He got pulled in the playoffs for Scott Darling and looked barely comfortable the entire run. He better be hobbing every knob in that Blackhawks locker room for cementing his legacy as the worlds luckiest goalie. 

So we were the worst team in the league last year but had THREE pretty good, if not well above average, goalies. What does that say about goalies? Dime a dozen? Great coaching or we got lucky?

It's kind of a moot point with the Lehner trade, but none of our goalies last year approached anything resembling above average. They were all well below the league average save percentage.

I think that exact discussion has happened in the war room.

Are we better off using one of those picks on Lack, Talbot or Lehner than we are on Samsonov, Blackwood or Vlader?

TM knows the answer. We will probably find out in the next 48 hours.

Or 24.

He got pulled in the playoffs for Scott Darling and looked barely comfortable the entire run. He better be hobbing every knob in that Blackhawks locker room for cementing his legacy as the worlds luckiest goalie. 

I thought that was Osgood.

WTF? Anybody see this coming? for 21?

Yes.  Considering TMs ties to Ottawa, it's a natural reaction for him to "overpay" for Lehner.  In his mind he didn't overpay, which is all that matters.  I trust his decision making... bold, sometimes looks stupid on the surface, but I'm not going to pretend I know more about Lehner than he does.    Hopefully he's right about him and he turns out better than any player they could've had at 21 (Samsonov?).  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.