Draft a Goalie?

hsif

Recently there has been some conversation concerning our later (21?,31?,51?) draft picks and using one of them on a goalie... and I think TN commented that the dart board method for picking a goalie was as reliable as any for choosing a goalie to draft.... if their development is so hard to predict why would we use a draft pick that might otherwise be used to reliably pick a forward or defenseman with potential, and then trade for our goalie prospects once they have a little seasoning?

I think that exact discussion has happened in the war room.

Are we better off using one of those picks on Lack, Talbot or Lehner than we are on Samsonov, Blackwood or Vlader?

TM knows the answer. We will probably find out in the next 48 hours.

I think that exact discussion has happened in the war room.

Are we better off using one of those picks on Lack, Talbot or Lehner than we are on Samsonov, Blackwood or Vlader?

TM knows the answer. We will probably find out in the next 48 hours.

Indeed we will.

There are arguments to be made for using a draft selection on a goalie (definitely not the 21 pick, it would be lower than that) and there are arguments for NOT doing that.

A draft pick might also be used not to draft a player, but to trade for a slightly more advanced young net minder.

I have no idea what Tim has up his sleeve with this!  

We all know we need some sort of decent goalie rolling forward.  I have no doubt Tim Murray will find one, somehow, some way.  I'm not particularly concerned about this at all.

IMO it would be insane to pick a goalie at #21 or #31.

correct.

TM likes to draft a goalie just about every year, but not in the first 2-3 rounds.   He'll take a big European goalie in the middle rounds even if they trade for Lack or Lehner.    I agree with this strategy.     Vlader might be there in the middle rounds, Samsonov and Blackwood will likely be gone.    Goalies are more of an unkown than any position, drafting large atheletic European goalies is a good strategy... they'll stick gold eventually.  

correct.

TM likes to draft a goalie just about every year, but not in the first 2-3 rounds.   He'll take a big European goalie in the middle rounds even if they trade for Lack or Lehner.    I agree with this strategy.     Vlader might be there in the middle rounds, Samsonov and Blackwood will likely be gone.    Goalies are more of an unkown than any position, drafting large atheletic European goalies is a good strategy... they'll stick gold eventually.  

agreed with what is said above. draft one every year - but not toward the top. maybe a low second rounder?

Totally agree. 

Late 2nd round maybe

Normally I agree.  To me it all depends on where Samsonov falls.  His build and play has the upside of Vasilevskiy.  I just think sometimes when you are looking for the next true #1 goalie, you have to take a chance on someone.  Vasilevskiy went late in the 1st round in 2012 and was pushing Bishop for the starter job.  If you're not going Samsonov, then you can wait. 

I think they draft a goalie early and trade for one, as I think they should. Samsonov will be the pick if there at 21 (in my opinjon). If not they can pick one with a mid-second and trade for one. Set yourself up for a while. Don't worry about the position for at least 6/7 years.

Highlights, not games, but Samsonov sure looks good on his clips.

Big, fast and he moves effortlessly.

Depending who is on the board, I would be OK with him at 21. He might have the most upside of any player available. At 31 he looks real good.

Edited by dudacek

Highlights, not games, but Samsonov sure looks good on his clips.

Big, fast and he moves effortlessly.

Depending who is on the board, I would be OK with him at 21. He might have the most upside of any player available. At 31 he looks real good.

I like Sammy. But I'd trade down the 31 if he's still there.

Normally I agree.  To me it all depends on where Samsonov falls.  His build and play has the upside of Vasilevskiy.  I just think sometimes when you are looking for the next true #1 goalie, you have to take a chance on someone.  Vasilevskiy went late in the 1st round in 2012 and was pushing Bishop for the starter job.  If you're not going Samsonov, then you can wait. 

Well, he'll be there at 2 :w00t:

Here's the free agent list according to Spotrac......

Jonathan Bernier G 26 TOR TBD $2,900,000 RFA

Peter Budaj G 32 WPG TBD $1,400,000 UFA

Ilya Bryzgalov G 35 ANA TBD $1,176,774 UFA

Jordan Binnington G 21 STL TBD $916,667 RFA

Jake Allen G 24 STL TBD $800,000 RFA

Jared Coreau G 23 DET TBD $792,500 RFA

Sami Aittokallio G 22 COL TBD $683,333 RFA

Mac Carruth G 23 CHI TBD $616,667 RFA

Maxime Clermont G NJD TBD $605,000 RFA

Scott Clemmensen G 37 NJD TBD $312,903 UFA

Richard Bachman G 27 EDM TBD $251,290 UFA

Tyler Bunz G EDM TBD $40,412 RFA

Igor Bobkov G 24 ANA TBD $38,441 RFA

Matt Climie G STL TBD - RFA

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.