Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

The black on the sleeves is terrible. I thought they had one of the better jerseys in the league already, now they've butchered it

If they flip-flopped where the block of black is on the sleeve and where the block of red is on the sleeve, it wouldn't look half bad.  The black is so weird and out of place at the top of the sleeves where it is.

If they flip-flopped where the block of black is on the sleeve and where the block of red is on the sleeve, it wouldn't look half bad.  The black is so weird and out of place at the top of the sleeves where it is.

Just mourning (slightly prematurely) the death of hockey in Glendale.

Just mourning (slightly prematurely) the death of hockey in Glendale.

Definitely premature. But as a Seattlite, I'm hopeful.

I wish they wouldn't have given up the Native American/Southwest/peyote-trip-themed sweaters. They were fun and screamed expansion team. Now, they've got a more refined look... plus black armbands.

Last year the Sabres did their buyouts the morning after the draft, similar to Kings and Canadiens today. No word today from Murray.

Hmmmm....Could Cody be staying?

Possibly. Maybe waiting until the last second hoping for a trade? He has to be on waivers by Tuesday at noon for a buyout so they have two more days.

Friedman's 30 Thoughts:

Canucks wanted 31 from us for Lack and one reason we beat Edmonton for Lehner was because we took on salary.

Plus a bit from Bylsma on RoR and lots of good draft gossip.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-canucks-bieksa-deserves-better/

Interesting from that article, as it pertains to Gus, Reinhart, OReilly playing wing instead of center-- "Lightning GM Steve Yzerman, asked if the playoffs made him debate whether Steven Stamkos is a centre or a winger. “Why not both? I played both in my career, and it helped me. It’s more about who he plays with than where he plays.”

Possibly. Maybe waiting until the last second hoping for a trade? He has to be on waivers by Tuesday at noon for a buyout so they have two more days.

I just don't see any spot for him. He's not going to play in the top six. He sucks as a checker. He won't do much if anything on the fourth line. Where would he play?

Sounds like Eric Staal is staying put in Carolina

"I’ve had a general and open and honest conversation with Eric’s agent on things," Francis said Saturday. "We’ll continue to have those as we move into the summer. Eric has indicated he wants to be part of the Hurricanes moving forward, and we’ll see if we can get that worked out."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/38757/rumblings-hurricanes-working-on-eric-staal-extension

Interesting from that article, as it pertains to Gus, Reinhart, OReilly playing wing instead of center-- "Lightning GM Steve Yzerman, asked if the playoffs made him debate whether Steven Stamkos is a centre or a winger. “Why not both? I played both in my career, and it helped me. It’s more about who he plays with than where he plays.”

i've always felt that way, really. Outside of taking faceoffs, the forward positions aren't that different from one another. and if you get into a cycle game in the offensive zone, you better be pretty familiar with all three positions so you know where your passing options are, and also where to go when someone else has the puck. unless one guy is significantly better at draws, i don't think it really matters who plays where. 

it would be a little different trying to convert a winger to a center, but in this case, all three are centers -- they will be fine on the wing. 

I just don't see any spot for him. He's not going to play in the top six. He sucks as a checker. He won't do much if anything on the fourth line. Where would he play?

I could actually see CoHo being really productive on Reinhart's wing. I think they see the game in a similar way. He was awful last year, but let's say he rebounds. He got 44 points on a last place team. With the right centre, if he is putting up 55 or so points. That could give us some serious depth. That said, we still have too many players, as well as a huge imbalance of players.

Kane - O'Reilly - Ennis

Girgensons - Reinhart - CoHo

Moulson - Eichel - Gionta

Larsson - Legwand - McGinn

Foligno - McCormick - Deslauriers

Kane - LW

Moulson - LW

Foligno - LW

Deslauriers - LW

Larsson - LW/C

Ennis - C/LW

Girgensons - C/LW

O'Reilly - C/LW

Eichel - C

Reinhart - C

Legwand - C

CoHo - C/RW

McCormick - C/RW

Gionta - RW

McGinn - RW

Next year

Kane - Eichel - Ennis

Moulson - Larsson - Gionta

Deslauriers - McCormick - ?? (Could see McGinn re-sign)

Foligno

Just noticed.......Toronto didn't exactly draft big. They took 5 players under 6 foot. 

2015 1 4 Mitch Marner RW London (OHL) 5' 11" 171 2015 2 34 Travis Dermott D Erie (OHL) 5' 11" 190 2015 3 68 Martins Dzierkals LW Riga (Belarusian) 5' 11" 170 2015 5 125 Dmytro Timashov LW Quebec (QMJHL) 5' 8.75" 162 2015 2 61 Jeremy Bracco RW US-Under-17 (USAH-NTDP) 5' 9.5" 156

^^

Huh. Well, that comes from being "over prepared," I guess (Dubas's description of his team's pre-draft state of mind).

The Chicacgo-TB final showed that you needn't be in the mold of LA to make it to the final.

In any case, it's unlikely any of those picks but the top 2 make it to the league. The kid with Erie isn't tall, but he sounds like he's built solidly.

Next year

Kane - Eichel - Ennis

Moulson - Larsson - Gionta

Deslauriers - McCormick - ?? (Could see McGinn re-sign)

Foligno

One problem with your next year lineup, ROR will be a Sabre and should penciled in.