Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Interesting Piece by Sean Avery......mentions his screening of Broudeur, his hard work, and at times his complete indifference to the players culture. 

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/sean-avery-why-i-retired-life-after-hockey/

"I handled the pressure partly by inventing a character — the tough, ornery Sean Avery that you think you know — and I’d put his game face on before I left for the rink, and I’d take it off when I got home. It was my way of handling all the demands on us to win. And to keep my job. I needed people to hate me. I needed players to come after me in order to stay motivated. Because honestly, playing in the NHL can become stagnant after a few years, especially if you have intellectual interests outside the rink."

I guess we never really appreciated him for his beautiful mind. :) 

That was a nice read. Thanks for posting. 

Interesting Piece by Sean Avery......mentions his screening of Broudeur, his hard work, and at times his complete indifference to the players culture. 

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/sean-avery-why-i-retired-life-after-hockey/

He was always a different sort of cat, that is for sure.

And it is a great read. Interesting guy.

Who ?

Sean Avery.

Still trying to seem relevant.

I dunno, man -- he's an interesting dude who's probably in the top 5% of professional athletes who have (or create) a plan for life after pro sports.

His other piece (linked in the one above) about how an average NHL career yielding $13M in contract salary is actually more like a net of $700,000 is sobering as well.

I dunno, man -- he's an interesting dude who's probably in the top 5% of professional athletes who have (or create) a plan for life after pro sports.

His other piece (linked in the one above) about how an average NHL career yielding $13M in contract salary is actually more like a net of $700,000 is sobering as well.

To be honest Aud I never actually read the article. I'll read it. I just never liked him as a player.

To be honest Aud I never actually read the article. I'll read it. I just never liked him as a player.

Yes you and every other human

To hear him tell it, who he was as a player was an act -- a show. Sounds almost like he took on a wrestler's persona.

My uncle once had drinks at a hotel bar with George the Animal Steele -- said he was one of the most articulate, reflective guys he ever met on the road.

Calls to mind some learnin' I did long ago:

And indeed there will be time 

For the yellow smoke that slides along the street, 

Rubbing its back upon the window-panes; 

There will be time, there will be time 

To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet; 

There will be time to murder and create, 

And time for all the works and days of hands 

That lift and drop a question on your plate;                                 

Time for you and time for me, 

And time yet for a hundred indecisions 

And for a hundred visions and revisions 

Before the taking of a toast and tea.

To hear him tell it, who he was as a player was an act -- a show. Sounds almost like he took on a wrestler's persona.

My uncle once had drinks at a hotel bar with George the Animal Steele -- said he was one of the most articulate, reflective guys he ever met on the road.

It really is bizarre in a way. The idea that he needed a a dramatic personae, or theatrical mask to succeed as a professional athlete.  

While it is very interesting, but I'm not buying much of this- he laments that there is no time to read in hockey, but apparently there is lots of time for extra-marital affairs. 

Hmmm? 

I just remember Chris Drury fielding all kinds of questions as captain of the NYR about Avery's behavior. Drury never cracked, but you could tell he exhausted nearly every stock answer he had for Avery being an important member of his team when he was often a detriment. I wonder what kind of discussions those boys had inside the room. 

And indeed there will be time

For the yellow smoke that slides along the street,

Rubbing its back upon the window-panes;

There will be time, there will be time

To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;

There will be time to murder and create,

And time for all the works and days of hands

That lift and drop a question on your plate;

Time for you and time for me,

And time yet for a hundred indecisions

And for a hundred visions and revisions

Before the taking of a toast and tea.

Damn't, I wrote a paper on this too but for the life of me I can't remember the name or author. I know it's about London, and he eats oysters later.

Damn't, I wrote a paper on this too but for the life of me I can't remember the name or author. I know it's about London, and he eats oysters later.

T.S. Eliot, Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. [sic?]

Arguably the most important poem of the English language from the 20th century.

I was just going to post this...a middling prospect for Zach Hyman and a 7th round pick?

Kind of wish the Sabres would have done this. Hyman is a good player. 54 points in 37 games, leading Michigan in scoring and a Hobey Baker finalist.

Great move by Toronto (Casey Bailey too), as much as I hate to say that. (They still need to sign him, but that won't be an issue.)

EDIT: I guess they weren't going to get much knowing he wouldn't sign there. Makes a lot of sense to get something.

Edited by Bob Malooga

I was just going to post this...a middling prospect for Zach Hyman and a 7th round pick?

Kind of wish the Sabres would have done this. Hyman is a good player. 54 points in 37 games, leading Michigan in scoring and a Hobey Baker finalist.

Great move by Toronto (Casey Bailey too), as much as I hate to say that. (They still need to sign him, but that won't be an issue.)

EDIT: I guess they weren't going to get much knowing he wouldn't sign there. Makes a lot of sense to get something.

Yeah, I guess Hyman wanted to make the jump straight to the NHL. Tallon had other ideas.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: EDM fired head amateur scout Stu MacGregor tonight as well as two other amateur scouts and one pro scout.

Umm Edmonton, most teams would have waited a week to do this.

Their work is done, I'm sure. Board is set, input has been taken. No need to have any extra chairs at the table.

@john_wawrow: Hearing #Sabres will open the season at home on October 8. No word against who just yet. But mark yer calendars. Eichel's NHL debut?

I'd love to open against Toronto on NBC Sports Network, on Opening Night.

Yeah, I guess Hyman wanted to make the jump straight to the NHL. Tallon had other ideas.

Makes sense for him to go there, and that he would sign there. I don't think he'll be a star, but that will turn into a good move for Shanny. He's not a scrub, that's for sure. (Better than Bailey, IMO.)

Their work is done, I'm sure. Board is set, input has been taken. No need to have any extra chairs at the table.

They had a hand in setting that board and are able to provide information about said board as well. Yes they probably have non disclosure agreements, but that would not stop back channel info from getting out. As a result of this 29 other teams would have kept them on and released them next Saturday Night.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/20/report-islanders-okposo-could-be-trading-block/

This would be my #1 target and my favorite, I think. I was just talking to someone about him. I think he would be a good top-6 target for that open spot.

Thoughts?

(I'd take him over Sharp, Williams, Oshie, or any other older veteran player that we have talked about.)

They had a hand in setting that board and are able to provide information about said board as well. Yes they probably have non disclosure agreements, but that would not stop back channel info from getting out. As a result of this 29 other teams would have kept them on and released them next Saturday Night.

Agreed--and let's not forget it's about more than the first overall pick.  The amateur scouts' opinions would be valuable in later rounds.  The pro scout's opinions might be valuable if there is a trade at hand or in ten days when free agency begins.  All in all, this was a completely stupid move.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/20/report-islanders-okposo-could-be-trading-block/

This would be my #1 target and my favorite, I think. I was just talking to someone about him. I think he would be a good top-6 target for that open spot.

Thoughts?

(I'd take him over Sharp, Williams, Oshie, or any other older veteran player that we have talked about.)

Moulson and Okposo playing opposite of one another? Former teammates that may have chemistry? That is something to consider. Make a realistic trade and give the guy a chance. If he plays well and manages to stay healthy, offer him a reasonable contract. 

Edited by Thanes16

Agreed--and let's not forget it's about more than the first overall pick.  The amateur scouts' opinions would be valuable in later rounds.  The pro scout's opinions might be valuable if there is a trade at hand or in ten days when free agency begins.  All in all, this was a completely stupid move.

Unless those scouts were already completely useless and didn't matter anyway.