Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Sakic still haunted by ROR

“Remember, a couple of years ago they rushed to make a Ryan O’Reilly deal and it didn’t turn out well for them. I think the organization remembers that. I think the specter of that trade hangs over them, and they look at it and say, ‘We gave up a really important player. It didn’t work. We can’t do that with two more. We have to do this right.’”

In June of 2015 Sakic traded a then-24-year-old O’Reilly – who had one year remaining on his contract – and Jamie McGinn to the Buffalo Sabres for Nikita Zadorov, Mikhail Grigorenko, J.T. Compher, and the No. 31 pick in the draft.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-specter-oreilly-trade-hangs-avalanche/

Edited by WildCard

For Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts

Boston looked at Kulikov on deadline day. Toronto looked at Franson And Nashville called about Kane, but he believes it never went very far.

This was also mentioned.

13. Sabres GM Tim Murray quickly shot down any idea that Alexander Nylander would be available. The 2016 first-rounder has struggled at AHL Rochester. Word from a couple of team execs recently scouting in Sweden was that Nylander’s disappointment reached home. But it’s way too soon to give up on him and Murray knows that.

13. Sabres GM Tim Murray quickly shot down any idea that Alexander Nylander would be available. The 2016 first-rounder has struggled at AHL Rochester. Word from a couple of team execs recently scouting in Sweden was that Nylander’s disappointment reached home. But it’s way too soon to give up on him and Murray knows that.

So either 1) GMTM is confident that Nylander will grow into pro game, or 2) He knows he'd get fleeced in any trade at the current time.

Maybe both.

So either 1) GMTM is confident that Nylander will grow into pro game, or 2) He knows he'd get fleeced in any trade at the current time.

Maybe both.

Probably both. Nylander is gonna have a much better year next year.

Edited by d4rksabre

Big whoop. You know how many rumors we've seen around here over the years that wind up being nothing? You know how many moves we've seen that have come out of nowhere with no rumors at all?

Most of these guys mature out of it given time. Imagine if Tampa had actually traded Drouin?

The Sabres would be in a playoff spot (even under Goober's tutelage and and Foligno & Bailey would be Buffalo's answer to "who was Martin Erat?" ;)

• 1 month later...

Chad Dedominicis of The Hockey Writers reports the Sabres are bidding for the NHL Draft in 2019, 20 or 21.

They feel they have a very good chance of getting it one of those years.

I talked to a scout at the draft last summer and his only complaint was the hotel situation DT. He raved about how nice the Sabres facilities and harbor center were. He also loved how good the food DT was (no idea where he ate).  I'd like them to bring the draft back because it is a good chance for ppl outside of Buffalo to see the progress.

Yeah that's gonna cost you Nylander, our 1st, and then some

Someone asked if he would trade their Nylander and plus for him, Cox's Response was he would only offer Nylander. I believe he is over valuing the forward for defenseman market

Also this from Craig Custance

Lots of buzz surrounding a couple college coaches too in David Quinn and Jim Montgomery. Can see at least one in NHL next year.

For Doughty?

Nylander, plus Kane, plus our first.

He's only 27 and everything this team needs.

That still seems a bit light. Kane is almost sure not to re-sign here, Nylander is a huge question mark and this year's draft pick won't be highly touted.

I think Reinhart and/or Risto would have to be included.

That still seems a bit light. Kane is almost sure not to re-sign here, Nylander is a huge question mark and this year's draft pick won't be highly touted.

I think Reinhart and/or Risto would have to be included.

Then hell no. Why should we trade all of that for 1 guy? This isn't like trading 2 prospects, a pick and former pick for ROR. Kane, Nylander and Risto or Reinhart... so that would open up anywhere from 2 holes in the top 6 and another hole in the top pair to potentially 3 holes in the top 6. 

Sabres need to target 20-22 year old defenders on teams that need something we have. Florida was a good example except instead of getting Mattheson we got Kulikov. 

Then hell no. Why should we trade all of that for 1 guy? This isn't like trading 2 prospects, a pick and former pick for ROR. Kane, Nylander and Risto or Reinhart... so that would open up anywhere from 2 holes in the top 6 and another hole in the top pair to potentially 3 holes in the top 6.

Sabres need to target 20-22 year old defenders on teams that need something we have. Florida was a good example except instead of getting Mattheson we got Kulikov.

I figured my post would be misinterpreted. The haul wouldn't need to be everyone mentioned in my post but the deal would have to center around Risto or Reinhart. Probably with a prospect and pick. If I'm the Kings, I want Reinhart, Baptiste, and Guhle.

Like, Doughty was the best defenseman in the world last year according to whoever votes for that stuff. 

Our best piece wasn't a top 10 point producer in terms of points per game, and is bad defensively to boot. Yeah, his ceiling is ridiculous, but with McDavid around that ceiling isn't something that Doughty has already proven to be at his position - like, the best in the world. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.