Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

..and how would that happen without giving away the farm?

That's Tim Murray's job to find out and find out if it's worth it. Nobody said they should go out and give the world for three...Just that they should inquire.

I don't believe we could get three without it include at least one of Reinhart, 2 or Risto. I would do it if any of those must be involved.

Edited by Hoss

..and how would that happen without giving away the farm?

That's what I initially said, it would be way too expensive. I still want the Sabres being in on the discussions at some level. Like Malkin, I don't think he is the right player at this time, I still want the Sabres making the inquiry. 

Can someone explain why some seem to think Grigorenko was significant trade value. I get that he is a former 1st round pick. Nothing he has shown since that day screams NHL Player. I'm willing to listen. I see posters add Grigorenko into trade discussions and the first thought in my mind is why would the other make any significant investment to acquire Grigorenko. IMO, his value at this point is of a middle round draft pick. 4th or 5th round in return. I think a 3rd would be a generous return at this point. Again, I'm willing to listen.

Regardless of your opinion or my opinion of Grigorenko, NHL scouts apparently still consider him a top 50 drafted prospect. He was ranked 38th in this year's Hockey News Future Watch, which is an annual poll of NHL GMs and head scouts.

He remains our 2nd-ranked prospect. Players ranked near him include top-ranked goalies Thatcher Demko, Zach Fucale and Malcolm Subban and 2014 mid-first-round forwards Jakub Vrana, Kasperi Kapanen and Brendan Perlini. Brendan Lemieux was the first pick of the 2nd round last year and he is ranked 74th.

To me, that says most organizations would instantly trade a third for Grigorenko, and some might cough up as much as a late first.

Edited by dudacek

I'd be disappointed if they are.  Taking Eichel is a no brainer.  Quality over quantity.  Taking calls on #2 is a waste of TM's time, unless he is seeking humor in the middle of the day.

or he actually is intelligent and trying to see where the rest of field is and what might be available in a different scenario..

Elliot Friedman just reported there was lots of talk about Kessel at the Combine,teams interested, want to know ballpark price. Thoughts?

Someone at TSN reported earlier this month that the Capitals want a winger. Kessel may be too much for them though. 

Woah... Some big speculation here from SportsNet on a juicy Toronto and Carolina rumor

http://thehockeywriters.com/breaking-down-the-leafs-canes-trade-rumour/

Deal that has, according to Dean Blundell's source, would send Phil Kessel, Nazem Kadri and 24 to Carolina for Alex Semin and the 5th overall pick.

Also says that Toronto has brought up Jeff Skinner (which would obviously require more pieces).

Edited by Hoss

Woah... Some big speculation here from SportsNet on a juicy Toronto and Carolina rumor

Deal that has, according to Dean Blundell's source, would send Phil Kessel, Nazem Kadri and 24 to Carolina for Alex Semin and the 5th overall pick.

Also says that Toronto has brought up Jeff Skinner (which would obviously require more pieces).

Hockey buzz reported this a week ago but I dismissed it because it was, you know, ecklund. Supposedly Toronto wants both mariner and hanifan. Edited by tom webster

That would be huge. I'm torn between wanting it to happen because it would be a fun deal and not because Toronto's rebuild/likelihood of being competitive would sky rocket. It would be beyond a dream scenario for the Leafs to make that deal, if I'm Carolina I recognize this and tell them to throw in more.

Hockey buzz reported this a week ago but I dismissed it because it was, you know, ecklund. Supposedly Toronto wants both mariner and hanifan.

Eichel and McDavid would be the best players to come out of the draft, but if Toronto could swing both Marner and Hanifin they might have the best draft day. 

Edit: It should be noted that it would also be a huge risk to take those two. Marner, although a dynamic offensive threat, is still small, and there have been plenty of doubts lately about how good Hanifin really is.

Eichel and McDavid would be the best players to come out of the draft, but if Toronto could swing both Marner and Hanifin they might have the best draft day. 

They would be raved about because it's Toronto and it's two top five picks, but the winners are and will be Buffalo and Edmonton regardless. Would you trade Eichel for Marner and Hanifin? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Hockey buzz reported this a week ago but I dismissed it because it was, you know, ecklund. Supposedly Toronto wants both mariner and hanifan.

I haven't read his stuff in years, but you're right. He reported that exact deal. I wonder if the Sportsnet guy was just riding that report.

They would be raved about because it's Toronto and it's two top five picks, but the winners are and will be Buffalo and Edmonton regardless. Would you trade Eichel for Marner and Hanifin? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Buffalo and Edmonton don't exactly have hard decisions to make, and any maneuvering done by the Sabres wouldn't be into the top 5. The Leafs are just beginning their rebuild, dumping a media problem in both players and a big contract in Kessel for two top 5 picks in a very good draft would be a great move. This board would have lost its mind if we would have traded Vanek for Drouin and Lindholm/Jones. 

There's no way I'd trade Eichel for anything in the league other than McDavid 

Edited by WildCard

Buffalo and Edmonton don't exactly have hard decisions to make, and any maneuvering done by the Sabres wouldn't be into the top 5. The Leafs are just beginning their rebuild, dumping a media problem in both players and a big contract in Kessel for two top 5 picks in a very good draft would be a great move. This board would have lost its mind if we would have traded Vanek for Drouin and Lindholm/Jones.

There's no way I'd trade Eichel for anything in the league other than McDavid

To clarify they're not trading Kessel for two top five picks. And they're giving up the better player in the deal while taking on an atrocious contract back (Semin at $21M over 3 years). So it would've been like us trading Vanek, Foligno and a first for a bad contract and Lindholm.

To clarify they're not trading Kessel for two top five picks. And they're giving up the better player in the deal while taking on an atrocious contract back (Semin at $21M over 3 years). So it would've been like us trading Vanek, Foligno and a first for a bad contract and Lindholm.

Yeap I goofed that up, meant to say they'll have two top 5 picks from the trade. Foligno isn't the problem child Kadri has been, and can't they just buy out Semin anyways?

Yeap I goofed that up, meant to say they'll have two top 5 picks from the trade. Foligno isn't the problem child Kadri has been, and can't they just buy out Semin anyways?

They could but it's still a bad pick. And Foligno isn't the "problem child" Kadri is but he's also not as good as Kadri. He was the best comparable I had.

They could but it's still a bad pick. And Foligno isn't the "problem child" Kadri is but he's also not as good as Kadri. He was the best comparable I had.

Fair enough on Kadri-Foligno, I honestly couldn't think of a better comparison, Hodgson maybe?

What do you mean by the bold? 

Mike Morreale agrees wholeheartedly with this.

Edit: It should be noted that it would also be a huge risk to take those two. Marner, although a dynamic offensive threat, is still small, and there have been plenty of doubts lately about how good Hanifin really is.

Before I give a full response can you explain the bolded?

Before I give a full response can you explain the bolded?

Not really sure what you mean. He's a very creative offensive talent, but he's a smaller prospect. 

Looked up a mock draft and saw Strome as being a whopping 170 lbs? Holy hell, he's a bean pole 

Not really sure what you mean. He's a very creative offensive talent, but he's a smaller prospect. 

Looked up a mock draft and saw Strome as being a whopping 170 lbs? Holy hell, he's a bean pole 

I guess I want to know where you are going with that comment.  Marner's combine numbers are 5'11" 160lbs.  In the end I don't really understand why that would deter a team.  

I guess I want to know where you are going with that comment.  Marner's combine numbers are 5'11" 160lbs.  In the end I don't really understand why that would deter a team.  

It's his only criticism in every scouting report I find on him, and for good reason IMO.If he was Strome's height and projected to put on another 20-25 lbs of muscle, he'd be a consensus 3.  

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sports/leafs/2015/06/06/maple-leafs-may-look-to-trade-top-selection.html?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2F1xC0pQPX3A

It's probably going to take 21, 31 and NYI pick plus a prospect, but if we could add Eichel and Marner/Provonov, I would pull the trigger.

Marner did say he can play any forward position

Edited by BRAWNDO

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.