Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

So the trade talk should really start to kick into high gear as the finals progress and the season comes to an end...

Tim Murray says that he made some calls today but teams are finalizing draft lists before really talking.

There has been plenty of talk about goalies and even some Rick Nash talk.

LeBrun says that the Oilers and Sharks have talked to Ottawa about their goalies and are both interested in Cam Talbot.

Figured we could start a thread for speculation and ideas.

Here is a good site where they gather links discussing rumors around the league:

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/

Malkin and Nash have both been mentioned. I would say no, particularly to Malkin. The cost would be Reinhart, Zadorov, 21 and another prospect. At this point in time I would rather have the young core grow together and add pieces to it, not subtract them.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/05/welcome-to-the-trade-rumor-mill-evgeni-malkin-and-rick-nash/

Malkin and Nash have both been mentioned. I would say no, particularly to Malkin. The cost would be Reinhart, Zadorov, 21 and another prospect. At this point in time I would rather have the young core grow together and add pieces to it, not subtract them.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/05/welcome-to-the-trade-rumor-mill-evgeni-malkin-and-rick-nash/

If that's all it would take to get that deal done I would do it now.

Sorry, are you saying you would do that deal if you were GMTM?

Yes. If it's Reinhart, Zadorov, 21 and a prospect (as long as it's not Eichel) then I do that deal.

Malkin is going to be 29. No f'n way I do that.

Over a PPG player. No reason to think he won't keep that up for another 4-5 years. Worst case is he does keep it up and then slowly moves to a 60 point player for a few years. We would be able to contend within 2-3 years if Eichel performs early on. We're talking about a top five player in the league.

I'm not 100% set on doing that deal. My immediate reaction is "yes." We're in a weird spot to make a move like that, but Malkin is one of the best. He would be the best non-goalie we've had since Perreault.

Agent JP Barry, on Malkin-wants-traded speculation: "I don't know where this is coming from. Not from me or Geno. I'm trying to ignore it."

Edited by Hoss

You don't know that. Lemieux talking about selling the team and Malkin has $9M cap hit. Things could happen.

You don't know that. Lemieux talking about selling the team and Malkin has $9M cap hit. Things could happen.

I know the cost would probably be higher. Hoss created this thread so we could speculate and have jovial discussions about proposed trades.

Based on history, Murray will make a big trade and overpay again. 

Isn't it a little early to say that Murray overpaid for Kane/Bogo? Armia, Lemieux, and Kane have all yet to play for their new teams. If only Kane makes it, isn't Bogo/Kane for Myers and a pick a steal? Maybe it's viewed a little different if Stafford gets an extension there, but I'm pretty sure most people around here are indifferent when it comes to him.

Edited by IrwinNelson

I know the cost would probably be higher. Hoss created this thread so we could speculate and have jovial discussions about proposed trades.

Actual I created this thread so we could call each other's trade ideas things like "stupid" and "idiotic."

Just joshin' :p

No way I'm giving Risto and Reinhart. And no way it takes less than Reinhart, Zadorov, 21 at least like Nucci suggested it might.

Based on history, Murray will make a big trade and overpay again. 

Murray has a history already?

I agree...just thinking if team is sold new owner will need to keep costs down........trade high salaries....

Yes. If it's Reinhart, Zadorov, 21 and a prospect (as long as it's not Eichel) then I do that deal.

Over a PPG player. No reason to think he won't keep that up for another 4-5 years. Worst case is he does keep it up and then slowly moves to a 60 point player for a few years. We would be able to contend within 2-3 years if Eichel performs early on. We're talking about a top five player in the league.

I'm not 100% set on doing that deal. My immediate reaction is "yes." We're in a weird spot to make a move like that, but Malkin is one of the best. He would be the best non-goalie we've had since Perreault.

He's only had 1 mostly healthy season since 2008. Every year outside of the 2011-12 season, he has missed at least 13 games. I think you could point to his body breaking down, and at 29, that's unlikely to get any better and at some point it may start to impact his per-game averages. Also, even though it wouldn't be an issue right now, the $9.5 million cap hit may matter down the road, especially if he really does start to decline. That cap hit for a guy who might be putting up only 60 points in a couple years is simply not okay. Finally, I just think it's the wrong move at the wrong time for where the team is at. Giving up huge assets for a guy about to exit (if he hasn't already) his prime on a huge contract is the wrong acquisition for a team that just finished last two years running. Even with trying to win, there are significant holes on this team and some of them will not be filled until young players grow over the next several seasons. Trading for Malkin would be the ultimate in putting the cart before the horse--it would be a "win now" move for a team that just spent two years building itself to win over the long haul.

He's only had 1 mostly healthy season since 2008. Every year outside of the 2011-12 season, he has missed at least 13 games. I think you could point to his body breaking down, and at 29, that's unlikely to get any better and at some point it may start to impact his per-game averages. Also, even though it wouldn't be an issue right now, the $9.5 million cap hit may matter down the road, especially if he really does start to decline. That cap hit for a guy who might be putting up only 60 points in a couple years is simply not okay. Finally, I just think it's the wrong move at the wrong time for where the team is at. Giving up huge assets for a guy about to exit (if he hasn't already) his prime on a huge contract is the wrong acquisition for a team that just finished last two years running. Even with trying to win, there are significant holes on this team and some of them will not be filled until young players grow over the next several seasons. Trading for Malkin would be the ultimate in putting the cart before the horse--it would be a "win now" move for a team that just spent two years building itself to win over the long haul.

Outside of 2010-11 he's never missed a single playoff game. Methinks it's a mixture of bumps and bruises and the medical staff taking it easy when they know there's not much to fight for most regular seasons in Pittsburgh.

I agree that it's probably the wrong time to make the move. The more I think about it the more I don't think it's a good idea... But Malkin gives us instant credibility. If all it takes is Reinhart, Zadorov, 21 and a prospect then I think we're a playoff team with a few other small tweaks and a contender with a few years of growth.

I wouldn't be mad about it, but I won't beat the drum for it to happen. I would say I prefer that we don't at this point.

Edited by Hoss

Outside of 2010-11 he's never missed a single playoff game. Methinks it's a mixture of bumps and bruises and the medical staff taking it easy when they know there's not much to fight for most regular seasons in Pittsburgh.

I agree that it's probably the wrong time to make the move. The more I think about it the more I don't think it's a good idea... But Malkin gives us instant credibility. If all it takes is Reinhart, Zadorov, 21 and a prospect then I think we're a playoff team with a few other small tweaks and a contender with a few years of growth.

I wouldn't be mad about it, but I won't beat the drum for it to happen. I would say I prefer that we don't at this point.

At this point I would think giving up the amount of assets needed to land Malkin would slow down the Sabres progress. So much about moves like this is about timing. As you said this is the wrong time. If a team picks up Malkin the expectations immediately becomes a Stanley Cup in 2-3 years. The Sabres are currently not in position to support a Cup run in that time frame. 3-4 years down the road this is the type of move I would expect the Sabres to be looking for. 

IMO, the focus for the Sabres over the next 2-3 years should be to develop young talent and continue to acquire and flip assets. At that point this first wave of young prospects should have filtered themselves, some will be entrenched in their positions on the roster and others be shown the door. There will be deals that make sense over the next few years, deals to elevate the talent level and add NHL experience will be needed. Timing will dictate the size and impact of moves the Sabres will make. Deals will have to make sense in the grand scheme of becoming a Cup contender.   

I wanna see hwo we develop the kids. We are suffering for 2 years to get these amazing players. I wanna see them play. We didnt suck in order to get great players as trade-bait. Who says that Reinhart isn't putting up numbers like Malkin in a few years. We haven't even seen many of those guys getting a shot in the NHL and we are already trading them in our minds for proven players. Develop proven players yourself... much cheaper...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.