[Game Day] Sabres @ Leafs 7:00PM

SabresBeat

This is the way teenagers behave when their parents are out of town (and, yes, it's a Risky Business). Metaphorically speaking, Ruff is out of town. I don't blame him at all. He has more important things to worry about. The character of this team is certainly being exposed. Whether the games have any meaning or not, you don't pack it in. Their coach deserves better.

Hey Dave.

I don't drink. Tonight might be the night I start.

While it's nice to think that this will all be a distant memory come playoff time, my experience tells me this is more than a fleeting rough patch in a good season. I just can't fathom this team turning things around fast enough. They're going 100 mph down the expressway the wrong way. You can't go 75 in the other direction in five seconds.

I am not happy with what they are doing currently, but remember, the '98-'99 squad went 5-11-5 (the last combined OTL's and ties) from late December through most of February. Things worked out OK that year. If they get swept the next week, then I will worry. Until then, time to get back to the game.

wait, dave, we just have to win or have atlanta lose tonight and we're in??

The best Atlanta can do is 96. A Sabres OTL, W, or an Atlanta L/OTL and the Sabres officially are in the "real" season for the 1st time in 5 years.

So we'll get in and then continue to slide all the way down to 8th???

That would be sweet. Not.

I can realistically see them dropping to 5th, but 6th - 8th will take a serious slide. They currently have an 11 point lead over 6th place NJ, and 13 points (currently) over Montreal and TB. The most any of those teams can get is 101. So 3 wins clinches 5th.

I still expect 4th overall, but maybe Buccigross was correct a couple of weeks back.

I am not happy with what they are doing currently, but remember, the '98-'99 squad went 5-11-5 (the last combined OTL's and ties) from late December through most of February. Things worked out OK that year. If they get swept the next week, then I will worry. Until then, time to get back to the game.

This team has nothing to play for right now, except points and point totals. There's nothing for them to focus their attention on... they can't win the division, they can't fall too far in the overall standings, they can't get hurt badly by playing like crap.

Couple that with the games tightening up, the officials allowing more stuff going uncalled, and it's no wonder that they aren't sure which direction they should go. I'm no more happy about this than anyone else, but the truth is nothing is going to be proved until the playoffs start.

Ta,

This team has nothing to play for right now, except points and point totals. There's nothing for them to focus their attention on... they can't win the division, they can't fall too far in the overall standings, they can't get hurt badly by playing like crap.

Couple that with the games tightening up, the officials allowing more stuff going uncalled, and it's no wonder that they aren't sure which direction they should go. I'm no more happy about this than anyone else, but the truth is nothing is going to be proved until the playoffs start.

Ta,

But the bottom line is that if the officials don't call the games the way they have been (and supposedly should be), they are done.

Plain and simple.

I am still waiting to see some spark of life from this team. I'd like to see someone step up and actually start leading this team during the slump - isn't that why guys like Grier and Drury were brought in - aren't they supposed to be winners who bring veteran leadership to the lineup?

At least Gaustad has had enough, but I am starting to worry about this team's heart and willingness to fight through adversity...

BTW, while I am not happy about the way Miller has played of late, tonight he hasn't had much help from anyone in front of hime - like on the 7th goal when McKee and Lydman were no better than cones on the ice - just something for the Leafs to skate around...

But the bottom line is that if the officials don't call the games the way they have been (and supposedly should be), they are done.

Plain and simple.

This team isn't that small, down the middle.. ok, but the wingers and the defense have plenty of size. Right now, though, we're playing small, so it looks a lot worse than it is. The lines are going to need to be shaken up I think.

Vanek needs to be moved away from Roy and Max. Grier and Drury need to be broken up. Pominville needs to sit. the guys nursing injuries need to sit as well.

Ta,

At least Gaustad has had enough, but I am starting to worry about this team's heart and willingness to fight through adversity...

BTW, while I am not happy about the way Miller has played of late, tonight he hasn't had much help from anyone in front of hime - like on the 7th goal when McKee and Lydman were no better than cones on the ice - just something for the Leafs to skate around...

wow, tough one tonight boys, huh? seemed like we were on the right path. the best thing ot hang on to right now is that we struggled like this back a few years on our last great playoff run. there is no way we were as good as we were and now we are this bad. these things are just pyschological and not that it matters, but i'm still not worried about embarrassing ourselves in the playoffs.

i do still continue to believe that we were too young this year anyway so getting in the playoffs was already playing with house money and getting us invaluable experience.

who played net tonight? was milller in the whole game? excuse me, i need another tanquerray and tonic....

You know something. In a warped way, this DEBACLE could be the game that turns their season around (and not in a typical Ottawa playoff moment either). They get a do-over on this exact same game on Monday night, just like in the playoffs. Playing this horribly, there is no way they can play worse (not saying they WILL play better, just saying they CAN'T play worse).

I have believed for several seasons that Lindy is a very good playoff coach. Well, now we get to see what he and this young team can bring to the table. Do the Sabres make this a "best of 5" or do they head back home down by 2. I know that I am rationalizing now, but I honestly expect that this team will come out and play much stronger with Danny back in the lineup.

Time for Ryan to learn that he can play a stinker (not that the game was his fault and he had no chance whatsoever on at least 3 of the 6 he gave up; anytime you give up 6 and gave up a bad goal for the 1st one against, I think you get credit for a stinker regardless of how poorly the rest of your team played), and come right back and shut the same SOB's down. If he doesn't learn how to do it, the Sabres playoff run will be short. If he gets "his mojo back", then the Sabres could be right back on track.

I can't wait. Is it Monday night yet?

I don't get to watch alot of games on TV since I'm a transplant in Duck territory, but they sound way better when I'm listening through the internet than they look. Actually watching them play is painful to watch.

I think that their play and mind set could have a large carry over into the playoffs. To me, at least, they are playing sloppy, undisciplined, heartless hockey. They are making horrible decisions. They seem to be trying to make the pretty passes like they are the 80's Oilers. And they aren't working hard at all.

I can't believe that they will just turn on a switch and get back to playing good hockey like they were when they playoffs hit. They need to get their game back in order before then or otherwise it will be quick ride.

I don't get to watch alot of games on TV since I'm a transplant in Duck territory, but they sound way better when I'm listening through the internet than they look. Actually watching them play is painful to watch.

I think that their play and mind set could have a large carry over into the playoffs. To me, at least, they are playing sloppy, undisciplined, heartless hockey. They are making horrible decisions. They seem to be trying to make the pretty passes like they are the 80's Oilers. And they aren't working hard at all.

I can't believe that they will just turn on a switch and get back to playing good hockey like they were when they playoffs hit. They need to get their game back in order before then or otherwise it will be quick ride.

They absolutely are playing sloppy right now. The good thing is they have almost 3 weeks to turn things around and will have their co-captain back in 2 days. Considering the way how they get a mulligan for today on Monday, that COULD be a huge step towards getting the ship off the sandbar it is currently sitting on.

Wish I could join the chat, but it doesn't work for me. Please... guys... Schedule. Injuries. Officiating. They don't explain this tailspin. We need someone with credibility to analyze this team's woes -- and it's clearly not going to be Jim Lorentz, who is using the schedule excuse and talking about how the Sabres think they can get back into this game when there's no indication they have a pulse tonight. Roby, please, talk to us.

IMHO, you have to go back to the loss in Ottawa and explain what "lockerroom issues" Danny Briere was talking about afterwards. Such a weird comment after seeing an eight-game winning streak end.

What did Briere say? I didn't hear the comments.

I might have embellished the quote a bit. Perhaps I saw a different version of it.

"I still believe in our team, but we definitely have some issues to resolve before the playoffs begin."

It's still a strange comment to make about a team that had been going gangbusters. I guess Danny was prophetic.

Speaking of Briere, Dave, do you really think getting him back will spark this team? We've been looking for sparks for a while now. Nothing lights a fire.

The more I think about it, I blame the goaltending. The first goal tonight was weak and just opened the floodgates. A lot went wrong, but the first thing that went wrong was Miller. The team is a house of cards right now.

I might have embellished the quote a bit. Perhaps I saw a different version of it.

"I still believe in our team, but we definitely have some issues to resolve before the playoffs begin."

It's still a strange comment to make about a team that had been going gangbusters. I guess Danny was prophetic.

Speaking of Briere, Dave, do you really think getting him back will spark this team? We've been looking for sparks for a while now. Nothing lights a fire.

The more I think about it, I blame the goaltending. The first goal tonight was weak and just opened the floodgates. A lot went wrong, but the first thing that went wrong was Miller. The team is a house of cards right now.

Ok, watched the game tonight. Although the last period I watched on FF (Thank you Tivo). Everyone else pretty much said everything that needs to be said.

I can't find anything I liked about that game at all (Except for the fact that it's over). I'm with Dave though, start Miller again on Monday. He needs to shut them down Monday. I still think that judging by how things went back in December, if he gets in the right mindset, 1 game can get him going back on track. They still have 8 games to turn this around.

For those of you that don't think it can get turned around in one game...they went from not being able to lose to not being able to play in one game...so the opposite could happen.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but after 74 games, I am not ready to give up on this team yet.

Dave, God bless you for trying to offer some hope. But when I look at the results of the 98-99 season, I don't see 10-4, 7-0 and 5-0 scores. Their worst loss was on New Year's Day at home to Anaheim, 7-2. The Sabres rebounded to beat Calgary the next day 7-1! And although they struggled a bit at the end of the regular season, they weren't getting blown out. In fact, their last five losses before the playoffs were all 2-1 defeats.