3.. Bylsma

4.. Richardson

5.. Deboer

6.. Boucher

7. Brent Sutter

8. Paul Maclean

9. Tippet * (under contact)

10. Lindy Ruff (just kidding PA) :P

We're good with that initial list IMO.  I'm a big fan of Babcock, Tipett, McLellan, in that order.  It's going to take a lot for Richardson to win the job as I truly think there will be an established NHL x's and o's coach brought in.  We'll see what happens though. 

Babcock

McLellan

Claude Julien (if fired). I think he has done an amazing job in Boston

I guess Richardson but don't know much about him

Bylsma - this would be the one that would infuriate me. I don't think he did NEARLY enough with that Pitt squad with all the talent. Maybe that's unfair to say due to Fleury's play once they got to the post season....

Babcock

McLellan

Claude Julien (if fired). I think he has done an amazing job in Boston

I guess Richardson but don't know much about him

Bylsma - this would be the one that would infuriate me. I don't think he did NEARLY enough with that Pitt squad with all the talent. Maybe that's unfair to say due to Fleury's play once they got to the post season....

I could get on board with this.

I think Nolan wanted to be fired. Probably made it next to impossible for Murray to deal with him. From the day PLF resigned I think it has been totally about Nolan realizing that this is probably his last NHL paycheck.

If he was a hot commodity he walks the same day PLF did. That is why this was a disaster waiting to happen.

They will kick the tires on Babcock but this will end up being Richardson. He will be a first time coach so Murray will have the comfort level of being able to 100% call all the shots.

Babcock has 100 times more credibility as a coach that Murray has as a GM. No way he comes in here as Murray's bitch.

No but he might come in as a longtime friend since their anaheim days.

I understand the firing of Nolan.  I don't like it, but that's ok.  Moving forward.  A couple of things in Murray's presser that raise little yellow flags.  

Whenever there is a communication problem there is always two sides to it.  Murray and Nolan share that responsibility.  Unless Murray went to Nolan and Nolan simply told him to eff off, Murray is as responsible for this as Nolan is.

Murray stated that the way he works is that he provides the players and the coach has no say.  If that's literally true, why would any big name coach work for him.

Lastly, Murray says he needs to find the "perfect fit" as coach.  "Perfect fits" are a very small group that the Sabres will be picking from and might indicate that Murray needs to do everything his way and the coach has to fit into that.  Not necessarily a good way to work.

I still like Murray alot, I understand why he needed to let Nolan go, but that presser yesterday could be very revealing going forward.

There are always two sides to a communication problem like you suggested, but this isn't the first time Nolan hasn't been on the same page as his GM.  Where there's smoke, there's fire.

I absolutely think Murray already knows who the next coach is going to be and knows that he will accept. When describing what he is looking for, it's the one time in the entire press conference where he looks relaxed and, dare I say, happy?

Edited to fix except/accept. :wallbash:

Edited by SumpfV

I don't see why Babcock leaves Detroit unless its a huge upgrade. I don't think he leaves just because they get saint mcdavid. IF he leaves Detroit, I think he goes to Toronto and is given the head coach with full say on players (ie GM title to go with it). They can pay just as much as the Sabres and give him complete control which TM won't do.

The Sabres will wait to see all options available, will probably make a call to Babcock, then hire TMs first choice all along, Richardson

TM can sugar coat the firing all he wants but it was obvious to everyone that Nolan was gone and it was because he wasn't a good soldier and wouldn't lay down and lose games like management wanted. Management wanted him to lose, he knew in order to continue to have a coaching career afterwards he had to try and won no matter what. Murray only wanted a placeholder for now to take the heat til they start trying to win again And he could bring in his guy. That's why he and Nolan didn't get along

The only place where TM is not looking bad to the rest of the world is in Buffalo by Sabres fans. Read comments from other hockey fans and they all say the Sabres should never have fired him since it was management that wanted to tank

I don't see why Babcock leaves Detroit unless its a huge upgrade. I don't think he leaves just because they get saint mcdavid. IF he leaves Detroit, I think he goes to Toronto and is given the head coach with full say on players (ie GM title to go with it). They can pay just as much as the Sabres and give him complete control which TM won't do.

The Sabres will wait to see all options available, will probably make a call to Babcock, then hire TMs first choice all along, Richardson

TM can sugar coat the firing all he wants but it was obvious to everyone that Nolan was gone and it was because he wasn't a good soldier and wouldn't lay down and lose games like management wanted. Management wanted him to lose, he knew in order to continue to have a coaching career afterwards he had to try and won no matter what. Murray only wanted a placeholder for now to take the heat til they start trying to win again And he could bring in his guy. That's why he and Nolan didn't get along

The only place where TM is not looking bad to the rest of the world is in Buffalo by Sabres fans. Read comments from other hockey fans and they all say the Sabres should never have fired him since it was management that wanted to tank

I don't know how anyone can listen to the presser and come away thinking "he was fired for finishing 30th." 

I absolutely think Murray already knows who the next coach is going to be and knows that he will except. When describing what he is looking for, it's the one time in the entire press conference where he looks relaxed and, dare I say, happy?

Good take.

Murray was as twitchy as I've seen him yesterday and what you describe was noticeable.

I'm going to nominate my mom to be the next head coach. i mean this in all sincerity. she took two (count 'em .. .TWO) generic, garden variety kids, and and practically single-handedly turned them both into fine, upstanding, morally non-reprehensible citizens who have managed to stay out of jail AND, on some small scale, contribute to society. now ... imagine what she could do with a whole TEAM of younglings. we're talking world domination within 30-35 years. no, it may not lead to a stanley cup, per se, but imagine the implications--an entire hockey team of gentlemen--not your chris neils, or shoebottoms of yesteryear, but bright, intelligent, respectful young men who would, in turn, be the mentors for the upcoming generation. hence the beginnings of world domination.

just my $.02.

I don't know how anyone can listen to the presser and come away thinking "he was fired for finishing 30th." 

For one example, the article on TSN doesn't do a good job of encapsulating why Nolan was really fired.  So people, mostly unfamiliar with the situation, read something that isn't there- that he was used as a scapegoat or we fired him because the team sucked.  This is reflected by the comments section, which are really misdirected this time around.  More than normal.

We didn't fire Nolan because the team was bad.  The team was supposed to be bad.  We fired Nolan because we want a better coach next year.  During the press conference, Murray owned the team's poor performance, especially after the trade deadline.  He's not looking for a scapegoat.  He's trying to lead the charge to better personnel behind the bench.

I'm going to nominate my mom to be the next head coach. i mean this in all sincerity. she took two (count 'em .. .TWO) generic, garden variety kids, and and practically single-handedly turned them both into fine, upstanding, morally non-reprehensible citizens who have managed to stay out of jail AND, on some small scale, contribute to society. now ... imagine what she could do with a whole TEAM of younglings. we're talking world domination within 30-35 years. no, it may not lead to a stanley cup, per se, but imagine the implications--an entire hockey team of gentlemen--not your chris neils, or shoebottoms of yesteryear, but bright, intelligent, respectful young men who would, in turn, be the mentors for the upcoming generation. hence the beginnings of world domination.

just my $.02.

I dream of someday being referred to as morally non-reprehensible.

just my $.02.

:lol:  Go from work harder to work more politely!

No but he might come in as a longtime friend since their anaheim days.

I don't know. I hope your right. I hope Murray is close enough to him that he sent him a text that says Mr. Pegula has a blank check waiting for you in my office. Hopefully Babcock replied see you soon.

Works for me.

I don't know. I hope your right. I hope Murray is close enough to him that he sent him a text that says Mr. Pegula has a blank check waiting for you in my office. Hopefully Babcock replied see you soon.

Works for me.

The Sabres also have first-rate facilites, a massive scouting budget, a top notch talent pipeline, a deep pocket owner, and a strong hockey environment that lacks the insane pressure of Toronto.

And if Murray and Babcock are on the same page, there's opportunity to increase his role, all while making him the highest paid coach in the NHL.

I think Darryl Sutter will be canned by the Kings. the players locked him out of the locker room a week back. He has a couple cups.

Is be shocked if he got the boot, he's consistently recognized as a top 5 coach by his peers. He probably was locked out, if that's true, because it was a players only meeting

Is be shocked if he got the boot, he's consistently recognized as a top 5 coach by his peers. He probably was locked out, if that's true, because it was a players only meeting

Traditionally the room belongs to the players. If the Captain locks the door, that is his prerogative.